All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Dont know what happened, I was doing so well.
      #288414 - 10/30/06 07:07 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

I havent been posting for the last 3 or 4 days because I was doing so well. Normal BMs no cramping or gurgling sounds. Yesterday 15 min. after a small bowl of pasta, one chicken meatball and some crackers, the urge showed up. It started out ok then just watery D and some pain (but tolerable.) I ate a few plain melba toasts after and then went to sleep. I slept thru the nite but woke up at 530AM with peristalsis in my tummy and went 4 times more. What happened? I have been eating pasta for years and it was never a trigger. Help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dont know what happened, I was doing so well. new
      #288415 - 10/30/06 07:10 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

There's a couple of possible reasons. First, for the pasta, did you put any oil or sauce on it? And second, chicken meatballs are usually made from dark meat, and are high in fat, both of which are triggers.

I really hope you start feeling better quickly. Don't get discouraged, keep working at the diet until you stabilize.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Dont know what happened, I was doing so well. new
      #288422 - 10/30/06 08:26 AM
Joannelcoq

I made the meatballs myself. No fat - all white meat. Besides, the meatball was the size of a walnut---real small. I have eaten like this for years but with sausge and pork in my pasta and I never, ever had a problem. This one is weird because I am now consumming less fat on everything.

Cracker ingredients new
      #288428 - 10/30/06 08:57 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

What are the ingredients in the crackers?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Cracker ingredients new
      #288430 - 10/30/06 09:02 AM
Joannelcoq

They were 3 fat free melba toasts. Its fine. Nothing bothersome in the ingredients. My BMs are a different kind of D. Different consistancy. Maybe its a little bug.

#288434 - 10/30/06 09:24 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Melba Toast Classic

INGREDIENTS: UNBLEACHED ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR [FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID], SALT, OAT FIBER, YEAST, MOLASSES, DEXTROSE, VINEGAR, SOY LECITHIN.
CONTAINS WHEAT AND SOY
Source: http://www.oldlondonfoods.com/melba_toast.php

Now - not sure if these are the ones she ate, but the wheat or soy could be issues.....also dextrose could be iffy.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#288436 - 10/30/06 09:40 AM
Joannelcoq

Soy is what i drink now instead of dairy and wheat is in all breads as in soluble fiber. All part of the IBS diet. Im convinced its a bug.

I don't think IBS is predictable new
      #288437 - 10/30/06 09:55 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I don't think it's all a gradual uphill improvement. Attacks just come out of know where. They can happen no matter how safely you eat, IMHO. Try not to drive yourself too crazy trying to connect it to a specific food.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: forget to say, I also took a digestive enzyme with the meal new
      #288438 - 10/30/06 09:56 AM
Joannelcoq

#288440 - 10/30/06 09:59 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Soy can still be a trigger - it does not agree with everyone. I just wanted to point that out because you don't seem to be stable. These are possible things that you could cut out to see if you feel better.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: forget to say, I also took a digestive enzyme with the meal new
      #288480 - 10/30/06 04:48 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i used to ry and connect every attack to foods i was eating and wound up with a very limited diet and driving myself nuts, what it all comes down to is a few things that i know i am sensitive to and realising that when i am not stable i would get random attacks and that it was just random. I now eat far more varied though i do get nervous when trying new things fro the first time still, but now if i feel icky, i just realize that its just an off day and that i will feel better tommorrow. Try not to get too wound up in triggers whil;e you are stabilizing, you sound like you are doing all the right things.

#288553 - 10/31/06 12:24 PM
venora

Reged: 10/26/06

Get your thyroid check.I had D for ages,gave up Trigger Foods,and I still got the big D no matter what I ate .Come to find out I was hyperthyroid(too much thyroid hormone)D is a major symptom of Hyper.C is symptom hypothyroid(too little thyroid)Love Venora

Re: new
      #288565 - 10/31/06 01:29 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

It very well could have been a flu type bug, tis the season but gee, as if ibs people didn't have enough to worry about to add a sickness to it too huh?
Thats one of the sucky things about ibs, it's not just the food that could trigger it. Could have been stress related.. On occassion I find that even though I don't think I'm stressing, my body tells me otherwise by acting icky.. I would eat plain spagetti noodles with nothing but a bit of salt for flavor and at one point even that made me ill...
Mind you I have been doing a hell of alot better since the hypno tapes (no D in almost 4-5 months, only minor pain attacks when over eatting/indulging)

#288585 - 10/31/06 03:29 PM
Joannelcoq

Thanks Venora, I did already. I had the complete thyroid series of test b/c my hair was falling out. It still is but not as bad.

Re: Dont know what happened, I was doing so well.--- did it again new
      #288723 - 11/01/06 04:42 PM
Joannelcoq

I just ate the same exact thing I ate on Sunday, pasta w/tomato sauce, meatball, and some crackers,,,,,no effect. WHAT GIVES?

Re: Dont know what happened, I was doing so well.--- did it again new
      #288731 - 11/01/06 05:15 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The effects can take 24-48 hours to occur. Don't forget when you put something in your stomach you stimulate the gastrocolic reflex which may activate a trigger you ate hours or perhaps a day or two earlier.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2077 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3955

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review