All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Whole grain/Rolled oats soluble or insoluble?
      #287813 - 10/25/06 04:50 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Im looking at Kashi golean Crunch ceral. I love it. Is it considered soluble? I like it with vanilla soy milk in the morning. What do you consider rolled oats or granola cereal?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Whole grain/Rolled oats soluble or insoluble? new
      #287814 - 10/25/06 05:48 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

it is all IF in that cereal, if you can handle it great, it is good for you, but most people will find it is too much. I tend to stick to one or two grain cereals just so my system has an easy time processing it, but kashi is a great company and as i said if it doesn't give you problems, its a great cereal, tasty too.

#287821 - 10/25/06 06:29 AM
Joannelcoq

It usually doesnt give me problems but Im reading and everyone is telling me to do the EFI diet and that cereal is suppose to be dangerous by itself. What to think?

speaking of cereals... new
      #287861 - 10/25/06 09:46 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Pre-Heather's diet and Acacia, I had a bowl of Special K protein plus which sent me right to the bathroom for quite a while, but at the time, I also drank coffee that morning (on an empty stomach!) and had Lactaid in the cereal. After finding this site, I assumed that the following ingredients (which are many "whole" grains) were the trigger, but mabye I'm wrong. If we are supposed to put IF in our diets, does the following list of ingredients sound like it would put me over the edge? I'd like to eat some cereal with some IF if I can handle it (eventually).
Wheat bran, soy grits, rice, wheat gluten, soybean, oil, whole grain wheat, soy protein isolate, sugar, salt, hfcs (OH...MAYBE THAT'S THE PROBLEM?), malt flavor, natural and artificial flavor, ascorbic acid, sucralose, alpha tocopherol acetate, reduced iron, niacinamide, pyridoxine hydrocholoride, riboflavin, thiamin hydrochloride, vit. A palmitate, folic acid, and vit. B12.
HOLY COW...WHAT A LIST...I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ANYTHING IS!! IT IS LISTED AS HAVING 5 GRAMS OF FIBER BUT 10 GRAMS OF PROTEIN. DOES ANYONE EAT SOMETHING SAFER WITH JUST SOME WHOLE GRAIN IN IT? (NOT FROM HEATHER'S LIST OR THE "SAFE" CEREAL LIST...JUST A GENTLE BIT OF IF ADDED PLEASE...PS I CAN TOLERATE OATMEAL FINE ) THANK YOU!!!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: speaking of cereals... new
      #287870 - 10/25/06 10:59 AM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

It could also be having dairy milk...even with the lactose removed it still bothers alot of people with IBS. Have you tried rice dream or soy milk?

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

Yes...having a hard time adjusting to the taste, but okay in my oatmeal N/T new
      #287876 - 10/25/06 11:15 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#287896 - 10/25/06 01:11 PM
Miso

i go with the philosophy that if it doesn't bug me i eat it, d=for instance i eat a ton of nuts and seeds, i just chew them really, mopst people can't handle that, but i can. But if in general you aren't stable, try stopping the kashi and following the diet, then when you get stable try to reintroduce it, its not an all or nothing scenario.

Re: speaking of cereals... new
      #287897 - 10/25/06 01:14 PM
Miso

ick that cereal sounds like a bad idea, you could try the kashi cereal? i eat nutty rice and nutty flax by perky's, the nutty flax is amazing and has a bunch of fiber and protein in it with only 4 ingredients and none of those are soy, for once. It is actually made from sorghum flour, a gluten free grain that is high in protein, i love it, perky's also makes perky o's which come in flavour with minimal ingredients. Natures path cereals are also good, their granolas are awesome, but i stick with the millet oat rice flakes, as i stay away from sugar as much as i can and that one is grape juice sweetene.

Re: speaking of cereals...THESE ARE ALL IFs why recommend? new
      #287901 - 10/25/06 02:03 PM
Joannelcoq

These are all bad for IBS by themselves....arent they?

Holy Cow is right.. new
      #287903 - 10/25/06 03:00 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Wheat bran - this is part of what is taken out of wheat to make it not "whole" - bran is super-IF and in this cereal it's the first ingredient so that means there's more of that than of anything else. This would probably be too much first thing in the morning.

soy grits, rice, wheat gluten, soybean, oil - probably OK although I've never heard of "soy grits" - sounds interesting

whole grain wheat - sounds like whole wheat to me so that's IF

soy protein isolate, sugar, salt, hfcs (OH...MAYBE THAT'S THE PROBLEM?) - maybe but it's pretty far down the ingredient list and HFCS isn't intrinsically IBS-evil, it's just that fructose can be de-stabilizing

malt flavor, natural and artificial flavor, ascorbic acid, sucralose - Oh, no! Splenda! Artificial sweeteners can be really hard on IBSers.

alpha tocopherol acetate, reduced iron, niacinamide, pyridoxine hydrocholoride, riboflavin, thiamin hydrochloride, vit. A palmitate, folic acid, and vit. B12- a little chem lab in your mouth but I don't see anything that's immediately obviously IBS-bad

If you really want to get some whole grain with breakfast, you could try mixing an SF cereal with a little IF cereal, like Rice Chex with some granola or any commercial high IF cereal (that doesn't have an artificial sweetener in it)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 746 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2658

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review