All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Where to start
      #28665 - 11/24/03 11:35 AM
Samm

Reged: 11/24/03
Loc: Florida

Am a new user. Please tell me whether I can use sugar, eggs, fish or a spread on bread. What will I use with pasta
rice. Tell me if I am using this site properly.

Samantha Mahoney

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Where I started new
      #28669 - 11/24/03 11:44 AM
bauie25

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: Iowa

I'm new at this whole thing too. I've read tons of material on IBS (check out as much on this site as you can, it's VERY valuable).

*I use Splenda instead of sugar (it tastes awesome on plain cheerios )
*NO EGG YOLKS (very dangerous), but egg whites, egg beaters, better 'n eggs worked fine for me
*fish has always set well with me as long as it's not breaded or fried in oil(try Mahi-Mahi or Talipia...mmmm) if you go out to Red Lobster, the Talipia in a bag has butter--so don't get it! Make sure you ask about what all contains butter b/c you can get the veggies just steamed without butter
*Spreads: either fat-free "I can't believe it's not butter" (don't stir it up in the container, it gets gross) or promise fat-free butter, and as for jelly/jam-> Smuckers low-sugar preserves--very good!
*Pasta & Rice: I try to use ff chicken broth (no msg added) with as many things as I can-- if you try the message board for recipes and foods, you'll probably get more responses!! Good luck!

--------------------
"If the sun isn't shining on your path... maybe you're not on the right one" --Me

Re: Where to start new
      #28670 - 11/24/03 11:51 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello and welcome!

Sugar does not seem to be a GI irratant, most people can tolerate it but it has no dietart purpose so best to use small amounts.

Fish is GREAT, I eat bakes salmon and tuna all the time.

Butter is bad because of the high fat content and dairy. Try rice or soy alternatives. Pam cooking spray works on a lot of stuff! I spray it in the fish before I bake it, on my potatoes and rice and even make grilled sandwiches with it!

Most Jellys are ok, I have never had a problem there!

Eggs are bad because of the fat in the yolks. Try egg beaters or one of those, they are actually pretty good!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

UH-OH, hummus, preserves new
      #28671 - 11/24/03 11:51 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

IBS isn't a diet -- we aren't here to lose wait, soo...

DON'T use any artificial sweeteners. They cause constipation and dirarrea... and are EXTREMELY hard to digest (so also expect bloating and gas!!!). Therefore, avoid Splenda or ANYTHING "sugar-free."

Fat-Free butter or margarine with dairy in it can ONLY hurt you. Dairy = bad bad bad. Fat free or not.

As for spreads for breads, hummus and homemade preserves, along with many other toppings, can be low in hard to digest fats and oils, as well as easy to whip up at home! I own Heather's book "Eating for IBS" -- it is my food "bible." Lol!

Preserves -- Cook your favorite berries or chopped fruit until soft, add sugar and water, and stir stir stir!

Hummus -- Garbanzo beans, garlic, tahini, lemon, salt, pepper, maybe some roasted red peppers... blend well as spead.

Soy margarine and rice margarines -- yummy and "safe"! Good Luck... and definitely buy and read the book...

Just a couple of ideas for you...

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Michelle is right on: great advice -nt- new
      #28672 - 11/24/03 11:52 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Best place to start! new
      #28691 - 11/24/03 12:55 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - check here web page and just follow the pages through the whole diet section. This will help you lots.

You got good advice from the others, too.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 836 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 932

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review