All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
FINALLY! Something that worked for me!!! (kinda long)
      #286051 - 10/11/06 01:06 PM
MINNIE ME

Reged: 10/11/06

Hi everyone! I am new to this board but have been reading many posts/threads the past few weeks & have gained a great amount of knowledge and ideas. I've utilized several ideas and suggestions from this board and have finally found something that's given me some relief (IBS-C), so I wanted to share w/ everyone!

Here's my current routine:
Acacia in the morning (1 tsp mixed with yogurt)
Multivitamin Packet (Andrew Lessman Complete for Women)
Bowl of Kashi ceral for lunch - 'Go Lean' (for extra fiber)
Digestive Enzyme w/ Dinner (2 caps of RenewLife Digestmore Ultra)
Acacia after dinner (1 Tps mixed with lemonade)
Natural Calm - unflavored(2 Tps before bed)

I've been using Acacia since mid-summer and was doing 'OK' with it, but for the past 3 weeks my system all but shut down. I could not 'go' at all and felt bloated all the time; no energy; just miserable. I did not however experience any cramps, bad gas or pain of any kind. When I did go (very rarely), it was small & hard (boyfriend called them Whoppers - you know, like the malted milk balls - lovely!) Anyway, the one thing that I changed in my routine was adding the Natural Calm. I started with one teaspoon at night with water for two days and the 2nd day I had some gas and did have a small BM later in the day. That night I up'd the dosage to 2 teaspoons & actually went normally this morning for the 1st time in 3 weeks! I've also had a couple more movements, although smaller, throughout the day, but this is a big change for me! Prior to the NC, I had to use Dulcolax overnight every Friday just to go at all. Tried not to use laxatives too much so limited myself to once a week, but by mid-week, boy was I miserable. I couldn't wait until Friday just so I could take my laxative! So, so far so good with the NC. I am upping my dose again tonight to 2 1/2 tps to see if it makes any difference. If I start to have D, I will take it back down. This has been a wonderful relief for me! I also ordered a 90-day pack of baebbe supplements today and if those work, I will stay with them for the full recommended time of 100 days, while in the meantime gradually adding more fiber (SuperSeed by Garden of Life?) probiotics (Jarrow) and a cal-mag supplement (Prairie Naturals?) to my routine so when I do get off of the NC and/or baebbe my system will hopefully return to normal. We'll see. I know how expensive the beabee supplements are and their return policy sucks, so I will be sure to update everyone on my progress once I've been on those for a week or so. Questions? Please ask - I tend to ramble on...

Take care & thanks for all the helpful advice!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: FINALLY! Something that worked for me!!! (kinda long) new
      #286061 - 10/11/06 02:41 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I'm glad your feeling some relief. IBS hurts, doesn't it.

I use Natural Calm too...but only 1/2 tsp because I also take Miralax...but would love to get off that.

I'm confused. You are on a total of one teaspoon Acacia in the morning and one teaspoon of Acacia at night? Does Tps mean teaspoon?

Are you also taking the superseed with it? Are you switching from Acacia to Superseed? If the Acacia is working for you, I'd stick with that one.

I'm surprised, and impressed, that you can tolerate the high fiber of Kashi. Do you take SF beforehand? Maybe I'll just have to try it! I'm scared...but it might just help.

Do you also do other whole grains...like wheat breads or pasta or brown rice, or the peels on fruits and stuff? Do you take eat a soluble fiber beforehand?

Also, I don't think dairy is suppose to be safe...but if it doesn't bother you...then great! I can't tolerate soy yogurt, but again, too chicken to try the "real thing".

Is your Cal/Mag a 2 to one ratio?

Thanks for posting a positive story. Stick around and let us know how you continue to do, okay! And let us know how the baabe works for you. What is it suppose to do anyhow? We need some happy tales!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#286098 - 10/11/06 06:26 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

stay far away from the super seed in my opinion, it has way too much stuff in it, it really gave me severe cramping and even people who came in to the HFS that i worked at who didn't have stomach issues said it hurt them too.
I would try fiberriffic or fibersmart if i were you instead, unless you have no problems with it, then by all means continue. the fibersmart by renew life is what i used before i switched to acacia and it was quite good, the fiberriffic is inulin which can cause gas, but no where near as much as the superseed.

#286121 - 10/12/06 05:34 AM
MINNIE ME

Thanks, Miso. I will probably stay away from the SuperSeed per your advice. I try to eat at least one bowl of Kashi Go Lean cereal at lunch, so maybe that will be enough fiber intake for me (including the Acacia). I do take the Renewlife Enzymes caps so I might try their FiberSmart too. This is far down the road (at least 3 months) - well after I have taken the baebbe (assuming those do well for me). I am just planning ahead to get more normalized & (cross my fingers), prevent this from happening again.

#286133 - 10/12/06 06:37 AM
MINNIE ME

Hi Jordy,

Yes, I take 2 teaspoons (Tps) of Acacia daily, broken out into two doses: morning/night. Other than the Kashi, that is my only form of fiber supplement. I'll be the first to admit, my diet SUCKS! I am too impatient & frankly lazy to watch what I eat, maintain a diet, or identify trigger foods. I'm sure I have them, but I have no idea what they might be. The best thing I do for myself diet-wise is stay away from fast food, eat lots of salmon & avoid red meat as much as possible. Other than that, I eat just about anything (good & bad), and supplement everything by way of vitamins and the like. I know that's not the best approach but that's my lifestyle for now. I am so impressed by those on this board who stick to the IBS diet and monitor what they eat daily - I wish I had that kind of discipline! The yogurt I eat is Activa by Dannon - the one that has the probiotics in it. I've been mixing that with my tps of Acacia in the morning & that's my breakfast. Kashi at lunch does seem to give me a lot of gas, but it also seems to get things moving more than when I don't eat it, so I've been trying to have a bowl once a day. Doesn't cause cramping or pain - just gas for me. The one I eat is Go Lean (crunchy nugget type). Wish I had the box here so I could give you the name. They have two kinds - one with rice krisy-type cereal & one with the nuggets. I couldn't stand the taste of the krispy one but the nuggets are OK.

I hadn't tried the SuperSeed yet, and was planning to use that w/ the Acacia (lately Acacia hadn't been working for me very well - that's when I up'd the dose to 2 tps instead of 1 tps daily). I'm trying to plan ahead to see if I can 1) get stabilized w/ the help of the NC & baebbe, 2) stay that way to prevent the C from coming back. Another poster advised staying away from SS because it was too harsh, so I might try FiberSmart instead. Not sure. For now I am only using Acacia for SF (oh, plus Kashi) and plan to continue to use it, even if I start to try another fiber supplement in addition. As for Cal Mag, never took one before, but if/when I get regular again I will incorporate that into my supplement "routine." I'm interested in Prairie Natural's Bone Solution. It's a liquid form of Cal Mag that has a 1:1 ratio. I'll have to order it since I can only find it in Canada but I read a good review about it from another poster on this board. But no Cal-Mag for now, just the NC, which is 100% mag. I do get some Calcium from my daily Multi.

Last night I increased my dose of NC to 2 1/2 Tsps from 2 the night before. This morning I feel pretty bloated. Do not have any D but I may go back to the 2 Tsps tonight to see how my body reacts. Yesterday I had BMs all throughout the day and I felt pretty good. They were not 'normal' BM's (still small/hard), but hey, beats not going at all and I've just gotten started w/ the NC.

Baebbe is an herbal supplement made of a bunch of different herbs I'd never heard of. It's not a fiber or laxative, but contains ingredients that help w/ C and peristalsis, helping your system get back to normal and keeping it that way. Testimonials (as well as the company), claim that it sheds inches from the waistline & clears up your skin...yadayadayada...I'm probably a 'sucker' (again) for giving into their claims, but, oh well...I do know that, for me, ever since I've been C, my weight fluctuates 2-5 pounds daily, and I know I'm not eating that much differently to justify that much weight change. It's probably more due to excess water from the bloating & well, you know...so there may some merit to the weight loss claims (although not a loss of fat). 90 pills cost $90, which is expensive given that's a 30-day supply if you take the recommended 3 a day dose. The return policy is NOT a guarantee, in that only unopened/unused product may be returned and only within 2 weeks from the time you get your order. Well, for something that could take up to a month to work that is an assanine policy. Plus, hard to tell if something works or not if you don't open the package! Yes, I took my chances but I will be sure to update everyone on how I do using baebbe. You can read more it about it at www.baebbe.com. It can't be any worse than Oxypowder, which I used religiously for one month, and had nothing but D for an entire month! That probably contributed to my system being out of whack more than anything else. That stuff scares me!

My ultimate goal is to have normal BMs, and complete ones, not the little ones I'm having now w/ NC, although an improvement, I can tell I'm still not completely emptying. I'm also trying to get back to a level where I can get back on a good exercise routine again. Was exercising (Tae Bo & stretching) every morning until my C hit a month ago, then WHAM! - so tired & fatigued all the time & who wants to put on exercise clothes then you feel like there's a brick in your stomach! It's a catch-22 - exercise helps with C but C makes me want to do anything but exercise (AHH! It's a vicious cycle!)

For now I will stay on the NC & use baebbe once it arrives & see how everything 'goes,' (so to speak).

Wish me luck!!!!!!!! (Hope I answered your ?'s & sorry so long again....)

#286163 - 10/12/06 10:46 AM

Unregistered

I take the Miralax( Gycolax) too. It doesn't do anything for me. I have soft ones even when i don't take it.Sometimes I get rock hard all of a sudden one day it doesn't help me. When i take it when things are soft, doesn't help. Sometimes it makes things too soft, so soft stuff won't move out. I feel it only helps whats really close to comming out, what gets stuck, because I see the white stuff in the toilet. Maybe i'm wrong. What do you think about it?

#286187 - 10/12/06 12:30 PM
MINNIE ME

I've never taken Miralax so I can't answer your ? directly. Do you currently take any fiber? Mine have been almost always pebble-like and hard, that's when I did have a BM, which was rare. The acacia helped me w/ that for some time but all of the sudden stopped working about a month or so ago. I up'd my dose slowly with minimal result. Natural Calm has helped me 'go' but not completely. Also it's intended more for C than D I think, and it sounds like you are in between. Plus I'm not sure how your system would react in combination w/ the Miralax. I just ordered some baebbe supplements (funny everytime I type that name I think of the clothing designer - bebe!) and should get it soon. Baebbe is supposed to regulate by encouraging a more regular peristalsis (contraction of the colon). I'll let you know how that works out for me. If the baebee does not end up working, my next resort will have to be Zelnorm, which I'm trying to avoid. Sorry I can't be of more help to you re: Miralax!

Re: What's it mean to be inbetween IBS-C and IBS-A? new
      #286216 - 10/12/06 04:40 PM

Unregistered

Are a lot of people in between IBS-c and IBS-A? Sometimes i'm actually rock hard and pebble like too. I'm not sure but I think my stuff may be a little watery, its real soft and everytime i'm crapping it feels like little farts in between or like bubbly. Is it just do to softness or is it a little watery?

#286217 - 10/12/06 04:41 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

first off i would really try and sincerely follow the diet if you can or at least incorporate the concept of soluble fiber before the rest, then if the baebbe doesn't work, befor eyou try zelnorm try something called triphala, it is an ayurvedic blend of three fruit herb types that also are supposed to help regulate peristalsis in the intestines naturally, it has worked well for me in the past.

I don't really understand your question new
      #286302 - 10/13/06 10:04 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

My stools are the also very soft (too soft to the point of being messy), and incomplete. Sometimes I swear the Miralax is my saving grace and other times I HATE it because of the mushiness, etc. But, I'm afraid NOT to take it for fear of nothing coming out again.

I thought once I got up to a substantial amount of SFS, it would help "bulk" things up...but it hasn't. I don't know if I should continue with both the SFS and the Miralax or drop one of them....and if so, which one? Anyone have suggestions?

Sounds like you might be an A leaning towards C? I'm not sure if it's the softness or the water. I think the increased water from the Miralax causes the softness.

How much Miralax are you taking everyday? Do you take a SFS with it?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1814 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4192

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review