All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
oregano
      #285707 - 10/08/06 09:21 PM

Unregistered

i'm going to buy some oregano capsules, can someone take a look at this specific bottle and tell me if its a good one. It says its the most potent on the market. http://www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-Oil-Oregano-capsules/dp/B00014FSJS/sr=8-27/qid=1160367351/ref=sr_1_27/002-7246019-0647237?ie=UTF8&s=hpc

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: oregano new
      #285769 - 10/09/06 09:11 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Careful when taking this. Oil of Oregano also helps to clean up any candidas you have in your system. When it starts to exit your body, you might feel very bad for a few days before you feel better.

Re: what kind of feeling bad, when to take new
      #285780 - 10/09/06 10:26 AM

Unregistered

I'm not really sure what candida is. what kind of feeling bad? Maybe i shouldn't take it if i'm gonna feel bad.
Maybe you can help me out with this schedule. I go to school Monday-Friday 8:45-3 or 4(depending when i have a ride or its not cold to walk at 3)I work Friday-Sunday usually start at 5pm-1am or 2am(fri-sat) Sun- Usually 5pm-10pm

And the purpose of taking oregano capsules is ... ? - nt - new
      #285787 - 10/09/06 11:02 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: And explore treatments on this website new
      #285805 - 10/09/06 01:14 PM

Unregistered

If you were on this site with IBS you would want to know about treating it, well on this site there is a link with herbal treatments.

Re: what kind of feeling bad, when to take new
      #285810 - 10/09/06 02:46 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

by feeling bad we mean flu like symptoms, its the die off of the yeast that makes you feel yucky as all the toxins are released and make there way out of your body, if you do indeed have a candida overgrowth, which many people do.

Re: did you look at the link new
      #285842 - 10/09/06 07:22 PM

Unregistered

I was wondering if that bottle is a good one because it only says its good for the immune system. doesn't mention digestion. it also says Wildcrafted Oregano Oil: 45mg, and Source Naturals® Oil of Oregano is the most potent on the market and is standardized to 70% carvacrol.* Each capsule contains 45 mg of Wildcrafted Oregano Oil, yielding approximately 30 mg of cavacrol.

HUH? new
      #285869 - 10/10/06 07:21 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Oregano is not a treatment for IBS - I'm confused why you are thinking about taking it? What benefit do you think it will have for you?

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: And explore treatments on this website new
      #285873 - 10/10/06 07:29 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

There are herbal treatments for IBS as Heather has on this site. However the oil of oregano product doesn't have any information about how it may affect the digestive system. It specifically says on the site "This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease" and also "may provide support to the immune system". This does not look like a product for IBS or any digestive problems.

It's ok to try new products to see if they help you, we are all different. But we're trying to give you the best advice that we know, and we're advising against using this product for treating IBS.

Hope this helps,

--------------------
Kat

Re: HUH? new
      #285877 - 10/10/06 08:04 AM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

I can't speak for those with IBS, but for those like myself, with digestive/bowel problems, antifungals such as oregano may help. It kills the yeast which may be contributing to bowel problems. Has worked very well ...for "me". I use olive leaf extract and has been very beneficial.

#285878 - 10/10/06 08:08 AM
MCV

If the problem is a yeast problem, then you probably do not have IBS. Curing the yeast issue should make your problems disappear. Unless you have a yeast problem AND IBS. Has a doctor diagnosed you?

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#285899 - 10/10/06 10:30 AM

Unregistered

yes, a doctor diagnosed me with ibs. How could it only be a yeast problem if i get spasms, attacks, and such. Can a person with soley a yeast problem be like having IBS-C?

did you read the post above you and new
      #285901 - 10/10/06 10:35 AM

Unregistered

oregano is a herbal supplement for ibs that can be beneficial. and I beleive the capsules are fine, because under oregano in herbal supplements at the bottom, this is stated "Enteric coated oregano oil capsules are also available - the enteric coating ensures that the capsules dissolve in the intestines instead of the stomach, which could cause heartburn."

Maybe I am just having a rough day.... new
      #285902 - 10/10/06 10:43 AM
MCV

...but I am having a hard time deciphering your posts...I have never heard of oregano capsules being beneficial for IBS. I may be wrong, but with some of the feedback you have been given in this post, I would stay clear of it. I don't understand what you think oregano will do for you, especially since it is being marketed for immune support - not digestive issues.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

I was replying to Kim123 ... new
      #285903 - 10/10/06 10:44 AM
MCV

I just wanted to make the point that you need many tests to rule out anything else before a diagnosis of IBS can be made. If her symptoms are better with treatment for yeast issues, then she may not actually have IBS.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: a missing link to clear things up new
      #285905 - 10/10/06 10:48 AM
K2

http://www.helpforibs.com/supplements/oregano.asp

Heather does give Oregano as an herbal supplement to treat IBS (sorry I said otherwise before!). I don't think the people replying to this thread, including me, knew that oregano was something Heather recommended.

However, the product on the Amazon page that you had provided a link for does not say it is enteric coated. Not all capsules are enteric coated, and it may dissolve too quickly, causing you pain.

Have you tried Heather's Peppermint Capsules? I found them more effective than some other supplements I've tried (fennel, ginger etc..).

--------------------
Kat

Now I understand better! new
      #285906 - 10/10/06 10:52 AM
MCV

Thanks, K2.

I didn't realize that Heather recommends oregano either. My apologies for any misconception. I must have fennel, peppermint and ginger drilled into my head

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: Good ol Oregano! Yup I get it now too. new
      #285907 - 10/10/06 11:05 AM
K2

I had no idea either! I went and automatically did a search on google for oregano oil and obviously came up with nothing. A simple search on this site would have been more practical. Just for fun here's the list Heather has of herbs: peppermint, fennel, ginger, chamomile, caraway, anise, oregano.
Any idea if this is given in any specific order? Such as order of effectiveness?

Now that I know oregano is good, maybe I'll put a bit extra in my spaghetti sauces

I still have to say I've had the most success with the Peppermint Caps. I tried fennel caps, and ginger tablets, but they don't seems to help for all symptoms. Ginger is good for nausea though, and fennel for gas/bloating.

Maybe if anyone has tried oregano capsules they could comment here.

--------------------
Kat

Re: I was replying to Kim123 ... new
      #285925 - 10/10/06 01:27 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Hi again,
Actually, I was just answering someone's question about why one "would" take oregano. I didn't mean to infer I had IBS. Sorry. No, I have, actually "had" IBD... UC. However, I did come across readings in my travels that symptoms of IBS may be improved with antifungals as well. Not having "IBS", can't speak from personal experience. Anyone out there ever try something like that?

K2 ... Thank you for the link ... - nt - new
      #285935 - 10/10/06 02:54 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

atkins diet/IBS new
      #285936 - 10/10/06 03:30 PM
jeanikini

Reged: 10/10/06

I have used the Atkin's diet and had amazing results with it.. I felt better, felt less lethargic. I lost weight with it... the trick is to eat the good carbs, such as leafy green vegetables, chicken, fish, etc. I eat sweets maybe once or twice a week and i notice that it is the chocolate or caffeine that makes my IBS flare up but the diet does not flare up my IBS. Regarless the Atkins diet has worked amazingly for me and my physician approved it for me. I am not much into dairy products at all except maybe for yogurt. I don't like margarine.. it tastes like wax. I eat no pasta, potatoes, or anything white. As long as I use fennel i am fine. It's amazing the difference fennel makes. I however cannot eat corn, popcorn. they are the worse for me for a flare-up and no chinese food either.. I eat cheese, which doesn't bother me. I can eat asparagus, green beans with no problems. So the combination of the Atkins diet and watching what I eat and fennel has done wonders for me. Actually, my cholesterol went down and my good HDL cholesterol went up on the Atkin's diet. It is the only diet that has worked for me and of course lots of exercise and walking is also great. Just my opinion. I am not much of a beef eater either. i have had to give up soda with caffeine and am now working on cutting out the coffee because i believe the oil in the coffee beans causes a flare up also. [color:red] [/color]

Re: atkins diet/IBS new
      #285976 - 10/10/06 06:57 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

How does this relate to the oregano?

anyone know where new
      #286036 - 10/11/06 10:22 AM

Unregistered

anyone know where i can find some oregano capsules with enteric coating? can i have some links? Oh, is there any like heather's fennel capsules where there is more coating on them? I don't know if i should take the one in the link i gave. But I bought them

Re: anyone know where new
      #286114 - 10/11/06 09:03 PM
K2

Heather's peppermint capsules are great, I'll never say that enough

I found fennel capsules at my local health food store. I would first try your health food store, and see what they have. Ask someone working there for enteric coated fennel or oregano capsules and they may be able to help you in that store, or help you in finding some online.

If you bought the oregano capsules, you may as well try one. Take it as directed (probably on an empty stomach before a meal, with not too much liquids). Worst thing that will happen is you'll get heartburn or some discomfort which should go away within a few hours or at most a day.

--------------------
Kat

there is no local health food store new
      #286157 - 10/12/06 10:27 AM

Unregistered

In this limited town, there is no HFS. Not even 2 hours away, but 3 or a little more. All I can do is order online, unfortunatly.

Re: drug store? new
      #286162 - 10/12/06 10:44 AM
K2

Drug stores sometimes carry these types of things too. Check in the vitamin aisle. The only ones I've bought online are Heather's peppermint caps, through Amazon.com.

I found a few online here:
http://www.herbalremedies.com/oroil1890sf.html
http://www.nutrasanus.com/oregano-oil-product.html

Both have the same content, including ginger and fennel oil (just like Heather's peppermint have also ginger and fennel). And both are enteric coated.

--------------------
Kat

Edited by K2 (10/12/06 10:48 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4840 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6807

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review