All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Antidepressants for us with IBS-D??
      #285484 - 10/06/06 04:45 PM
germanicus1991

Reged: 08/09/06
Loc: Fort Worth,TX

I have been looking at the information about seratonin making IBSD worse. I am on Celexa--do any of you take other antidepressants that are not Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs).
(I have taken Zoloft in the past and other drugs that have had negative side effects--Paxil was very addicitng (I found out when it went off the market for a while and never want to go back there), Effexxor made me very angry all the time, prozac did nothing...) I tend to have opposite reactions to drugs like vicodin making me hyper and not able to sleep to name one.

Due to chronic pain I am wondering about Cymbalta. I have also considered stopping all antidepressants.

I have a herniated disc and many other arthritis spots. I have already ruined my stomach with NSAIDs making my IBS worse.

At least the pain meds help with IBS-D.

Mostly I want ideas about antidepressants that work with IBS.
I also take muscle relaxers, allergy meds, and hyoscymine extended release 2X a day for IBS which gives me heartburn so I take Nexium for that and phenergan prn for nausea.
G

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Antidepressants for us with IBS-D?? new
      #285500 - 10/06/06 06:47 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

please consider taking l-glutamine, it will help heal your stomach and intestines from all of the NSAID's and the other meds too, it may also help with the reflux etc. try to take 3500-5000 mg split up over the course of the day, i really urge you to try this for the health of your intestines and stomach.

Re: Antidepressants for us with IBS-D?? new
      #285711 - 10/08/06 10:08 PM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

I am currently taking 75 mg Effexor and have been on it for about 5 weeks. It's helped me feel a lot happier in general but I started taking it mostly for my anxiety which has decreased somewhat but not as much as I'd like it to. I'm thinking about going off of it after I've given it at least 8 weeks. I read somewhere that people with IBS were treated with tricyclic antidepressants (specifically) but haven't been able to get to researching on this yet. I believe the tricyclics are the "old school" antidepressants and the one example I remember was Elavil. (sp?) Does anyone have any information on this? Perhaps as to what it is about the tricyclics that make them allegedly for work well for ppl with ibs?

herniated disk & nerve pain & Cymbalta new
      #285836 - 10/09/06 05:47 PM
Melani

Reged: 10/02/06

This med worked great for me in regards to nerve pain that didn't go away after two cervical fusions. I came off of it because it did not work for my depression and I needed to stay on Effexor for that. My pain management doc got my nerve pain under control with epidural steroid injections so that I could work on p.t. with my posture therapist (www.egoscue.com) and end that misery.

Cymbalta worked so well that I could tell a difference within hours of taking it. I thought it caused a surreal feeling, but that was due to coming off of Effexor.

Blessings,

Melani

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 522 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 955

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review