All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Newbie w/abdominal pain
      #285170 - 10/04/06 08:46 AM
RebeccaM

Reged: 10/04/06
Loc: Orange County, CA

Hi, this is my first post here. I am IBS-C and have been following Heather's diet for about two months with 2-3T acacia powder daily. My main symptom was and is abdominal pain. It went away initially but now it's back, not as bad as before but it's back to the point where I am taking 1 or 2 Vicodin on a daily basis.

I have eliminated wheat and that helped somewhat but not entirely. I bought the hypnosis tapes but have not had success listening daily. I am bored listening to the same thing over and over and over.

What now? Should I eliminate (gasp!) sugar?

--------------------
On the diet since June 2006, IBS-C cleared up, still have abdominal pain; taking 1 Ultracet every a.m. for pain

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newbie w/abdominal pain new
      #285180 - 10/04/06 10:12 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hmmm this is a tricky one. I really don't know but maybe you're not eating enough, Heather's diet allows you to eat wheat cos it's soluble fiber. just a thought maybe you're not getting enough food. I know when I'm hungry I get pain. see what anyone else thinks cos I really don't know
sorry I can't help any further
xxxx

#285188 - 10/04/06 11:25 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Sugar does not generally cause abdominal pain.

Could you try giving the hypno CDs more of a try or switch to yoga or something? To fight IBS, you must choose a strategy to deal with stress and anxiety. BTW, you don't have to pay attention to the hypno CDs - just put them on and space out for 30 minutes.

--AC

#287900 - 10/25/06 01:53 PM
RebeccaM

Bumping this back up to the top.

What additional foods might I need to eliminate, in addition to following the IBS diet?

Wheat?

Sugar?

Is there anything I can do to eliminate abdominal pain, other than yoga/hypnosis tapes?

--------------------
On the diet since June 2006, IBS-C cleared up, still have abdominal pain; taking 1 Ultracet every a.m. for pain

#287902 - 10/25/06 02:51 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Can you post what you ate over the last couple of days?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#287961 - 10/26/06 01:02 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Sugar is generally easily digested (when it is sugar and not fructose) so don't reduce it you might lose weight that way.

Wheat -- are you alergic to wheat? If not, I don't see why you are eliminating it.

Are you taking acacia/other SFS?

Jerry, IBS-C

P.S. My main problem is pain too, but I am also constipated (naturally, since I am IBS-C) and sometimes get bloated (but didn't know that was a legitimate concern before I was diagnosed with IBS... I don't get as bloated as some people on the boards, I still fit in my clothes). I think I am stable now, very little pain and very rarely... I did this by following the EFI diet religiously for the last 2 months, taking acacia, eliminating dairy (big thing for me, I love dairy so much), reducing my portion sizes, greatly reducing the fat I was cooking with, changing what I snack on and so on.

I didn't realize you were pain predominate new
      #287972 - 10/26/06 06:37 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I wonder how you tolerate IF so well then? I thought they were somehow connected.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: I didn't realize you were pain predominate new
      #287982 - 10/26/06 07:26 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I was eating MUCH more fiber before.

I would have dinner consisting of corn as a side dish (I love corn) and some chicken breast or salmon. And I would have extra corn, because I love it so much... that with a caesar salad with WW croutons... and WW bread (but sometimes no bread at all)... and with ice cold water or orange juice and no soup... That's just sample. Switching to less IF has been big for me. I think I was overdosing

I don't know what I was thinking, but I thought I was eating pretty healthy...

#288162 - 10/27/06 11:49 AM
RebeccaM

Oy, I didn't know that about fructose. I've been eating a cereal from the health food store with fructose so maybe that's what's been bothering me. Guess I'll switch back to sugar.

A typical daily menu for me is:
Breakfast: wheat-free waffles with maple syrup OR oat bran with brown sugar & cocoa powder; soy milk

Lunch: Leftovers from dinner, or some lowfat corn chips or rice cakes with hummus; banana; soy milk

Dinner: cooked veggies, rice, chicken or fish

A snack might be more corn chips, a Luna bar, soy milk.

I have been doing 1T Acacia powder 3x day before each meal and have been following the IBS diet for 2-3 months.

Perhaps I need to watch out for fructose? Is there anything else that might be problematic?? (I avoid wheat only b/c in my IBS hypnosis tapes it mentioned that it might be problematic for some. Last ditch effort to address the ongoing pain.)

Please post if you have further suggestions. I am back to listening to the boring hypnosis tapes. Am on Session 2 now.

--------------------

#288169 - 10/27/06 12:33 PM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

The soy could be aggravating the pain...alot of people overdo the soy because they can't take dairy anymore. You have soy with almost every meal, and the Luna bar is soy based. Why don't you try cutting down the soy, or switch to Rice Dream. Does the pain stay in one spot/side? Is it gas? How long have you had the pain? Do you take digestive enzymes to break down your food? That has helped me alot...as well as cutting down the soy (but not eliminating it completely)

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3027 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2675

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review