All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Hello, I'm new new
      #284678 - 09/30/06 04:45 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Good question. I would be interested in knowing the answer too. Perhaps it allows the IF to blend more with the other SF you eat as it is claimed happens with ground nuts in flour. There is evidence showing that boiling carrots in salt water degrades IF. Apparently the salt reduces the amount of insoluble polymers. Maybe it works the same for other vegetables and grains.

PS - what is you area of science?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hello, I'm new new
      #284701 - 09/30/06 08:00 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Wow, interesting.

That theory sounds good at first glance, but when you think about it... IF is by def insoluble, which means it won't dissociate in water. That would make it unlikely that it reacts with the Na+ and Cl- ions that arise from table salt dissolved in water... Although it doesn't mean it won't do it for sure. I wish I knew how (some) IF looked chemically it would be fun to look into

However, I think if we puree cooked lentils, then maybe the insoluble fiber is so well ground that our guts won't stress that much over it. Or maybe, because the soluble fiber is now easily accessible (it's not inside an IF hull), it will be able to ease the passing of the IF...

Syl, my area of science is Mathematics. How about your ?

--J

We need a scientific chat room new
      #284706 - 09/30/06 08:29 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It isn't a matter of solublity. It is the degradation of fibre in the presence of ions and heat. Here is the reference. I can send you the full paper if you want. The experiment compared boiling carrots in 10, 100 and 400 mM NaCl and CaCl2 for 0, 4 and 25 mins.

Nyman, E. M. G.-L. and S. J. M. Svanberg, 2002: Modification of physicochemical properties of dietary fibre in carrots by mono- and divalent cations. Food Chemistry, 76, 273-280.

Perhaps it is the local (i.e. cellular or molecular) SF/IF ratio that makes a difference. When there are large bits of IF the local SF/IF could be quite low resulting in cellular distress. I also believe that starch may play a role too. A personal example is that I can eat 2-3 tbps of pureed lentils on a 1/2 cup rice usually without any problem but I cannot handle oat meal with large pieces of bran at all.

My research focus is complex systems and my educational background is biophysics, molecular biology and computer science.

Maybe Heather can create a scientific chat room for those of us that want to discuss the science of IBS. What say Heather?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

You know, that might be a really good idea... new
      #284780 - 10/01/06 03:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

there are often other posts on the diet board about new studies that get posted in the research library forum on the boards. That forum is locked so it can only contain studies, and there really isn't a discussion board for the studies (especially all the ones that have nothing to do with diet or hypno) anywhere on this site.

I'm going to make a new post for this, with a survey, and take some time to think about it too. I try to keep the number of boards on the site limited so that they all stay active, and also so they all have clear areas of focus that don't totally overlap.

At first thought, though, this seems like a pretty promising area for an independent board.

Thank you for the suggestion!!!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Please see my new thread about this with a survey! -nt- new
      #284782 - 10/01/06 03:39 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1848 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1476

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review