All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Forever Thankful
      #284570 - 09/29/06 03:31 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I will be forever thankful to Heather and her diet. It has made a marked difference in the amount of discomfort I experience with my IBS.

The diet is not in question by me. It works!

I like others on this board am looking for the holy grail that will completely alleviate the discomfort I have experience from my IBS-A for 30+ years. However, if you feel that my quest for a deeper understanding of how to handle my IBS by questioning some of the sources of information for the EFI diet is inappropriate then I would be happy to go elsewhere.

I was under the impression that this board was the most knowledgeable on the net. Am I wrong?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Forever Thankful new
      #284605 - 09/30/06 07:22 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

This is my first post here, and I aggree with you, the diet works... at least what I have tried of it.

I also appreciated the post you did about the content of fiber in rice. I am a scientist myself, so I like to research things and have hard data at hand, so I found it very useful.

Thank you for posting.

Jeio

#284611 - 09/30/06 08:17 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

But you're not asking questions. So you're not using the knowledge in the Board. Instead you're finding data from various sources, bringing it back to the Board, and reporting it here. You're not picking up, you're dropping off.

Furthermore, when you use the data you bring back to argue that the underlying premises of the Eating For IBS Diet are incorrect, you aren't contributing to the purpose of the Board. It's as if you'd walked into a Weight Watcher's meeting, announced you followed their program, and then started explaining that their point totals for foods are all wrong, there's no scientific evidence that group meetings aid weight loss, and all exercise does is increase appetite. I suppose it may be helpful to you for some reason, but it doesn't support the purpose of the meeting. It is not helpful to the community.

You left out a word or phrase in the sentence:

Quote:

However, if you feel that my quest for a deeper understanding of how to handle my IBS by questioning some of the premises of the EFI diet then I would be happy to go elsewhere.

Given the touchiness of this issue, I'm not going to guess at what you wanted in there. If you're asking do I want you to leave, no. If you're asking do I want you to stop repeatedly arguing against the premises of the EFI Diet, yes. This is simply not the appropriate forum for that.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#284612 - 09/30/06 08:18 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Sometimes people can get too caught up in a fibre chart and obsess over every little gram of insoluble fibre. That can be too stressful for beginners, and different researchers can come up with diffferent values.

Thank you new
      #284627 - 09/30/06 09:32 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You are correct. I am not asking questions - I am trying to find answers to a question that you acknowledge has "come up over and over". In the sticky which was a posted as your response to a question about a reliable source of information about SF and IF you said
Quote:

This says to me that either Soluble Fiber means something different to the chart makers than it does common sense wise or a food with close to a 50/50 split is actually a high Soluble Fiber food.

Unfortunately there are many examples were common sense is misleading. The role of measurement is to increase our knowledge so we don't make these mistakes. Even locating reliable information that will allow us to find foods with a 50/50 SF/IF split is difficult and it would be helpful.

The weight watcher example is a bit misleading. To the best of my knowledge the foods promoted and sold by weight watchers have been measured and hence there is no need for discussion.

Thank you for pointing out my grammatical error. I shall correct the sentence [Done].

Quote:

If you're asking do I want you to stop repeatedly arguing against the premises of the EFI Diet, yes.

I am not arguing against the premise of the diet. I like others are simply looking for reliable information that will allow us to follow EFI diet it with greater precision.

Thank you for your support. I shall remain active on the board.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Thank you new
      #284631 - 09/30/06 09:58 AM
Sand

That wasn't support. And if it was then, it certainly isn't now. (And I already emailed Heather that I'm blowing up the Boards.)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Please don't blow up the board new
      #284637 - 09/30/06 10:19 AM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

Your posts are so helpful to me Sand.

Re: Thank you new
      #284655 - 09/30/06 12:29 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Quote:

The weight watcher example is a bit misleading. To the best of my knowledge the foods promoted and sold by weight watchers have been measured and hence there is no need for discussion.

I think that the point was that the Weight Watchers diet is built on a specific system, and it makes no sense (unless you're just trying to be contrary) to walk into a meeting and argue their base rules. It's not a question of the measurement of each specific food item, but rather the actual system -- i.e. the points. Like arguing that X food item should be worth 4 points instead of 5. You say you're just trying to follow the diet with more precision -- but why? Seriously, what need do you have to know exactly how much SF/IF is in each food? By arguing exactly how much IF rice contains, what's the point here? If you're arguing that it's not a good SF base after all, you're arguing against basic diet principles; if you're not arguing that, then, um, why bring it up?

Sure, it would be nice to find reliable information on actual SF/IF percentages -- but as long as all the info out there contradicts each other, you'll never know what's reliable and what isn't. It also is completely unnecessary in order to follow the diet, and can be completely counter-productive by just producing more anxiety.

No one's asking you to leave -- but given that Heather's given her own reasons for not wanting this continually rehashed, I think it would be only respectful to refrain from discussing it. Certainly no one's stopping you from researching it on your own if it's important to you.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Please don't blow up the board new
      #284668 - 09/30/06 01:50 PM
Sand

I'm sorry, Susie. I just meant that I emailed Heather to tell her I'd lost my temper and posted something I possibly shouldn't have in case she wanted to delete it before things just got worse.

It's very kind of you to say my posts are helpful - that means a lot. I am going to take a Board break for a few days. Obviously I'm making myself nuts for no good reason. I think I just need a time out. Now, where's my chair in the corner?

--------------------

I think there's nothing much helpful left to be said.... new
      #284675 - 09/30/06 02:53 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and I appreciate everyone's kind comments and patience on the fiber posts, so thank you for that.

I understand the interest in the scientific studies and charts, and would not discourage anyone from pursuing these avenues on their own. But, I don't think it's serving much of a helpful purpose on the boards (and it's definitely confusing and upsetting a lot of folks, judging by the emails pouring in).

So, I'm locking this thread, and asking that we let the boards return to other topics.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 445 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1195

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review