All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Rice and IF/SF
      #284536 - 09/29/06 01:28 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Let me begin by saying that generally speaking I follow Heather's diet. It has made a difference and like others I am stable in the sense that I can function quite well on a day to day basis.

However, like Ulrika I continue to search for a better understanding of the foods listed on the soluble fibre list. I know there is a lot of controversy about the information given in the various databases. In order to find more reliable information I have been examining the scientific literature. In particular I am looking for information derived using a standardized method for measuring IF & SF. Today I came across an interesting paper on rice.

Reference
Khatoon, N. and J. Prakash, 2006: Nutritional Quality of Microwave and Pressure Cooked Rice (Oryza sativa) Varieties. FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL, 12, 297-305.

The objective of the study reported in the paper was among other things to measure the SF and IF in four different microwave and pressure cooked rice (Oryza sativa) varieties: Bangara Tegalu (BT, nonaromatic), Gowri sanna (nonaromatic), Jeera (mildly flavoured) and Basmati (aromatic).

The total dietary fibre in raw, pressure cooked and microwave rice was between 2.24 to 3.03 g/100 g of which a large proportion was insoluble (1.97–3.00 g/100 g). The different cooking methods had little or no effect on the amount of IF and SF. All varieties were high in starch (82%-91%) and the digestibility of the starch in the cooked rice was much higher than raw rice.

Summary
These varieties of rice had a relatively low total fibre content of between 2% and 3%. The majority (90%-95%) of the total fibre was IF. These findings are in agreement with the information provided for white rice in the Fineli database.

White rice is on my safe list. Along with potatoes and pasta it is one of my staples because I know from experience that it is not a trigger. However, I am not convinced it is high in SF but like pasta and potatoes it is high in starch which when cooked is easy to digest.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Rice and IF/SF new
      #284551 - 09/29/06 02:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

There's no mention in this study if the rice is brown or white. I find it difficult to believe that white rice, which has had the bran removed, has any insoluble fiber left in it, let alone more insoluble than soluble.

I think I prefer to rely on common sense in this matter.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Rice and IF/SF new
      #284556 - 09/29/06 02:47 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I believe they are all white rices. Whole grain and brown rice have a much higher total fibre content (about 4-7%). I would be happy to forward you the full paper in pdf format if you are interested.

Unfortunately I have found that common sense is not a substitute for empirical evidence as witnessed by the gross mistakes that have been made regarding such things as ulcers and schizophrenia. Being a scientist by training and profession I prefer to trust measurement

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

You know... new
      #284566 - 09/29/06 03:12 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't care if you ARE a scientist. This board is for the discussion of the IBS diet. What you're posting is contradictory to the IBS diet, AND it's confusing to new people on the boards.

I appreciate that you feel the personal need to research everything - personally, I think it's more stress than it's worth, but that's your call.

However, you don't need to post everything you find on these boards, which are here for a specific purpose - NOT for the general discussion of IBS. If that sort of discussion forum is what you're looking for, there are other boards/groups out there who will better serve your purposes.

Good luck.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 765 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 496

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review