All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Antibiotics/Iron pills
      #283830 - 09/25/06 09:30 AM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

Hello all, I had been doing fairly good, maybe one flare up a week and they were controllable. That is until I got a sinus infection and antibiotics. I take them and thirty minutes later my stomach starts hurting. Now I have never had any problems before with this. I also have anemia and cannot take my iron pills. They have changed them three times (and my insurance will not pay for them since I am not pregnant) and each time same problem. Thirty minutes to an hour after taking, with or without food, I start having stomach spasms.
I am trying to incorporate iron rich foods in my diet but once again that is hard.
Any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Antibiotics/Iron pills new
      #283875 - 09/25/06 03:41 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Cejay,
Just wondering if anyone suggested taking any probiotics to counteract the antibiotics. They would probably help your gut to feel better. I take them regularly and have had good results.

#283886 - 09/25/06 04:11 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Have you tried eating yogurt after your antibiotics. Or taking a probiotic.It may counteract it! When I was taking iron pills, I took one mid-morning after my banana (even though it says to take on an empty stomach,which my DR. said not too)with a bit of orange juice(this juice does not bother me) and had no side effects. They do say that one of the side effects was constipation so I was hoping for that one but NOT!!! Maybe try a small snack when you take it. Good Luck! Sue

#283906 - 09/25/06 06:03 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

definetly get some probiotics and maybe consider liquid iron supplements like floradix which are non constipating and easier on the tummy. Also there is a compnay called platinum naturals that sells a product called easy iron that is made with ferrochel and easy on the tummy non constipating iron, other companies make ferrochel based iron supplements look for the brand on bottles of iron supplments and try that maybe.

#283940 - 09/26/06 05:11 AM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

I will try the priobitics (sp), I'm assuming I can get the at the health food store and while I am there I will try to find the natural iron. I tried the orange juice and it worked, but unfortunately I have severe reflux and heartburn with anything that acidic. Cannot eat bannanas either.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1269 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 827

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review