All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
MSG synonyms
      #282707 - 09/17/06 06:19 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have not wanted to actually learn for a fact that MSG can be called a whole bunch of other names. I posted a link once that had a list but I have been in denial and when I see a questionable ingredient I pretend that I am not suspicious of it being another term for MSG. However this doesn't help anybody! So has anyone done some looking into the other names for MSG and does that mean they are pure MSG? What are the rules?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: MSG synonyms new
      #282736 - 09/17/06 08:47 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I am highly sensitive/allergic to MSG. I am not sure if the symptoms would be as severe or the same if I ate for ex. hydrolyzed plant protein. I just try to avoid them all to be safe. I get so sick from MSG that I am not willing to even try the others to see what happens. It makes grocery shopping very difficult and I have to prepare alot of meals myself but I guess in the end it is healthier and better for my body.
I find this article helpful in explaining some things:
http://www.personaltrainertoday.com/articles/publish/article_552.htm

and also this one explains MSG and other related ingredients quite well:
http://www.msgmyth.com/ - what is msg
and
http://www.msgmyth.com/ - hidden names for msg

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#282755 - 09/18/06 04:22 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I too try to avoid all forms of MSG. It's just not worth it. It makes me feel so awful. I just wish it wasn't in so much food...almost anything packaged has some form of MSG. Very annoying.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#282780 - 09/18/06 07:44 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I deleted my post - too much hysteria in the Website

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (09/20/06 07:49 AM)

#282796 - 09/18/06 08:34 AM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

Well that's depressing. I mean, how can you even avoid it when it is sprayed on all crops etc.? I mean, even making your own food isn't safe because that is only as safe as the products you can buy. I guess we should just stop eating. That's just really depresssing.

so depressing! new
      #283074 - 09/19/06 04:18 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Ok, so does the average IBSer need to watch all those things that might have msg? Like if it says 'soy protein' how can we avoid that? I haven't noticed an MSG problem but I have avoided things that say MSG but not things that say hydrolized soy protein etc. and I don't want to. I won't be able to have my favorite soy sauce, ice cream etc. But then why avoid "MSG" if you don't avoid the other maybes? That is why I have been trying to ignore this whole issue. I wish my hairdresser had not mentioned it at all. I mean I won't buy fisher and planters peanuts because of msg but I do buy LaChoy soy sauce etc.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: so depressing! new
      #283100 - 09/19/06 07:46 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

If you're stable and haven't noticed any problems with foods that might contain "other" forms of MSG, then I wouldn't stop eating them. Not everyone is sensitive to the same things.

I know some people do have true allergies or sensitivities to MSG ... but do people who blame reactions on MSG blame the wrong food? I don't mean IBS-ers but people in general. We know from Heather's diet that many foods are hard to digest. So if someone's eating something high in fat with dairy and gets sick and blames a "hidden" form of MSG, is that really the case? Like if they order Chinese food and get deep-fried crab rangoons and a big plate of beef and broccoli and they stop at Dairy Queen for dessert and they have D later and think, "It must've been the MSG in that Chinese food!!"

I think that most people are probably okay with small amounts of MSG. But if you're not stable, I'd probably take extra care to avoid it. It's a real pain and it can be more expensive (have you ever tried buying chicken broth without it?? yikes!) (oh, and Swanson's "MSG-free" broth is NOT MSG-free), but it can be done. If you're stable, I'd just keep an eye on ingredients and if something does bother you and you're POSITIVE it was the MSG derivative (rather than that can of Coke you drank yesterday, or not eating breakfast until 11:30), well, then, you know for next time.

Personally, I'm not really sensitive to MSG, but I hesitate to use myself as an example, because at this point I've been undiagnosed with IBS, and I still don't know at what point IBS-D is different from some-other-condition-causing-D.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#283114 - 09/20/06 04:17 AM
Mary_V

I am super sensitive to MSG. I do avoid anything with any form of soy...especially things like soy protein. I feel horrible after eating anything with it. It is a major pain. No soy sauce. And I can't buy any dairy alternatives that are made from soy. Soy proteins, etc. are hidden in so many things. I have to read labels very carefully. It's not fun, but it's worth it if I don't get the horrible attacks that it causes. You may want to take note when you eat something with a potential MSG source...see if you notice a connection. If not, then keep eating it. If you do, then it's worth it to cut that food out.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#283115 - 09/20/06 04:18 AM
Mary_V

How do you know Swanson's msg free broth isn't msg free? What is in it? I can't tolerate msg very well, but I thought that was safe. Do you know of other broths that truly are msg free?

--------------------
~Mary

Re: MSG synonyms
      #283120 - 09/20/06 06:02 AM
shandy

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Alabama

Ditto Mary V's comment about avoiding soy. I can't touch soy - I never get D - ever - unless I eat anything with soy in it and then 20 minutes later I'm in misery. Mary mentioned soy protein - also watch for soybean oil - it's in almost every single food in your refrigerator, pantry or cupboard. Any "vegetable" oil is almost always soybean oil, BTW. Thus, I cook all my own food and read labels religiously. Yeah, it's a drag, but it's worth it not to have crippling pain and embarrassing D, followed up by a week of inability to eat anything without suffering.

Personally, I think a lot of IBS is caused by soy sensitivities - but since the soy industry has convinced us that it's healthy, we eat it and assume that it's something ELSE that must be hurting us. When I cut soy completely out of my diet three years ago (it's HARD), I lost 15 pounds and haven't had gas or D since - not once. I still have problems, but the elimination of soy products has been life-changing for me.

Hang in there!

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old
Neither D nor C - just sluggish

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3791 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4430

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review