All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Just when I think I'm fine....
      #282326 - 09/14/06 09:00 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

I've gone to the bathroom at least 7 times today!! I think it's because 1, I didn't go at all yesterday, and 2, I haven't left the house all day and I feel anxious here. I haven't left because I have lotsa homework, and told myself if I did it I could go out tonight... but I am also nervous about going out tonight because I am going to a social gathering by myself where I may know some people there but feel a little shy around them... i think that's the main culpret, that I am nervous about tonight.... UG!
How many of you get nervous tummies? Probably all of us, because my interpretation of IBS is that it really has a lot to do with nervousness/stress....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just when I think I'm fine.... new
      #282378 - 09/15/06 08:48 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I have a nervous stomach too. Of course that makes IBS worse but I had that before I got IBS too. I think the problem is that IBS makes your gut even more sensitive to stress/nervousness.

Hang in there!!! If you feel up for it try to go out even if you're a bit nervous. If you're really sick maybe you should stay at home, but if you feel you can you should try to go out an have fun as that is the best way to fight the nervousness. It will be easier every time you do it!

Hope you'll feel better soon!

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#282400 - 09/15/06 10:14 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Hi. The same thing happens to me when I have to go somewhere like that. I am anxious from the minute I wake up that day and go to the bathroom like a million times too. I think the key is to give yourself and "out"...I read a few books on anxiety and they say that if you have a preplanned excuse to escape a situation, then you'll have less anxiety and probably be able to remain in the situation. I know...sometimes an "out" is impossible depending on where you are, but the two ideas that I have thought of are saying you suddenly got your period (if you know the people better...this especially works with guys who have not clue...just say you are having "girl problems")...or even better...pretend that you got a voice mail from someone at home and there is an emergency (think of something legitimate before you go to the party) and then you can leave...no questions asked...thank goodness for cell phones. Also, take immodium before situations like this for sure!!! Hope that helps:)

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#282500 - 09/15/06 08:31 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Thanks for the empathy sweeties!
I did go out last night and had an amazing time... I just get nervous before things a lot of the time, and then when I'm in the situation I feel totally fine... and also I never go to the bathroom when I'm out and having fun- so I know it is generally nerves... today I worked all day and I only went to the bathroom twice! I have a stomach ache again tonight because I took a nap just now and sometimes that messes me up!! Ah, it's hard to be so sensitive sometimes... i wish I had a stomach of steal... but then again, I wouldn't be so healthy in other ways... I think that people with really strong stomachs often eat a lot and get fat... i dunno, i guess we all have our things!

#282637 - 09/17/06 06:45 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

I'm like you stressful situations upset the tummy. And also going to the bathroom a zillion times,the tummy is sore. Your right though,people with a tummy of steal really eat junk, so yes with having ibs, we are healthier in many ways!! Glad you enjoyed your evening out!! take care Sue

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5109 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 666

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review