All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hi everyone! I'm new!
      #28169 - 11/21/03 08:01 AM
Laurel

Reged: 11/21/03
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Hello everyone, I am a new member to these boards, and actually just ordered the IBS cookbook last night. I am really happy to have found this site, and I am hoping with this new diet, my IBS will subside so I can feel normal (I forget what that feels like!!).

I have my first question...I have been reading the boards and noticed that you guys put special importance on taking fiber pills -before- you eat. Can someone explain why? I am going to start taking Fibercon or Benefiber, because I can absolutley NOT tolerate metamucil!! I am also planning on starting peppermint capsules before I eat--I assume this is okay with the fiber pills?

Just to give you guys a little background, I have had IBS-D now for about 6 years & seen every doctor here in L.A. I am getting worse though because I have stopped eating alot of the time, and binging at home instead. Or, eating out but getting sick 99% of the time because I have an empty tummy. I was also using coffee to keep me regular, but stopped that as of last week...I know it's a big no-no!

I can't wait to hear from you guys & hopefully help you out too!

Laurel

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hi everyone! I'm new! new
      #28172 - 11/21/03 08:07 AM
POADB

Reged: 06/01/03

That's a good question.

Should we all be taking fibre supplements?
I also thought that the diet was formed for both IBS-D and C, to keep us regular, so why the need for fibre supplements?

#28179 - 11/21/03 08:19 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi and welcome to the boards Laurel.

Honestly, I have never taken a fibre supplement...I always thought I would try the diet and if I am still have major issues then I will jump into that...well luckily I never had to. LOL

Have you been on the diet long?

Sorry I can't offer you more advice on this...but I know there is a lot of others who do take the supplements so they will be able to help you.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#28183 - 11/21/03 08:28 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Welcome Laurel,

On this board you will find so much info to get you stable.
Go back to the main page and click on supplements there is a full explanation on fiber supplements. This wll be in your book as well. I know that fiber supplements will help you normalize your bowel functions in D Or C, help with cramping. The peppermint caps are taken between meals and supplements are usually taken in the morning before a meal and at night before bedtime. This vary's for every individual. I have d too, it's no fun but since I have been using this diet, I haven't had d it's been pretty normal, also haven't use an fiber supplements. I drink 2 cups of chamomile tea a day. Good luck and I'm here for you.
Sherri

#28283 - 11/21/03 12:26 PM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

Laurel: Welcome!!!! I know Heather and others will give you good advice on fiber supplements. I use benefiber because it's easiest for me to get down, and I have acid reflux which is worsened by peppermint. I do love fennel and chamomile teas-drink as much as i can of those and water is key too. Hope to get to know you better! Maryh

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

#28284 - 11/21/03 12:27 PM
Gerry10

Reged: 10/15/03
Loc: Las Vegas,Nev.

Honey I,m not new.but not old.I found the IBS on the computer by mistake.an it has been a wonderful help to me.when ever I need help I write to Heather an she answers right away.I,m trying different things.I have both of her books.an read them everyday.I find something different in them everytime I read them.or something that sound like me.
right now I,m trying the Acacia fiber an fennel tea.
Gerry 10.

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1251 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 767

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review