All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia, Miralax, flaxmeal, and stress
      #280589 - 09/01/06 06:20 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Okay, as I have posted before, I have worked my way up to 6 grams fiber from Acacia over the past 7 weeks or so. I started at the recommended 1/2 tsp twice a week.....and increase by 1/2 tsp every week. Prior to Acacia, I was up to 6 grams fiber from Citrucel...but I decided not to do the equivalent amount in acacia when switching in order to be safe.

Things seemed to be going okay at first....minimal gas and cramps weren't any worse than usual. I kept my daily dose of 1 T flax meal and a dose of Miralax.

As I started to reach higher amounts of Acacia, I am having sharp, unbearable pains and tons of gas.

I don't know if I increased too quickly...or if I should have decreased my Miralax as my Acacia went up...or what. It has also been a very stressful time....so the worsening symptoms could be due to that too.

So, experts, what would you do? Decrease the Acacia? (And to what level)? and begin increasing by 1/4 tsp a week instead of 1/2 tsp? Or should I try and leave the Acacia at 6 grams and decrease the amount of Miralax I have been taking? And what about the flax?

Or is this all stress related and I'm blaming it on the supplement and med? I don't know which to "tweak".

any opinions from y'all would be very appreciated.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

To add.... new
      #280590 - 09/01/06 06:23 AM
Jordy

I have been having BMs everyday. the Acacia seems to have made them more firm and less watery than with just straight Miralax (which is good)...but the pain, gas, cramps isn't worth this! I ended up taking Librax and crying last night with my heating pad. I thought I was going to faint from the pain. I've never felt that way before.

I might as well also confess, I added coffee to my breakfast routine about a month ago...one cup. I was fine the whole time....so I didn't think this was related to the problem I'm having now. Regardless, the coffee is banned from my diet again!

I still think something needs tweaking though. But what?

--------------------

Can anyone help me?-nt new
      #280884 - 09/05/06 09:18 AM
Jordy

--------------------

Re: To add.... new
      #280903 - 09/05/06 10:44 AM
Karen18

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Near Philadelphia, PA

Jordy--I would decrease the acacia back to the point where it was working without giving you gas. The point isn't to get a certain amount of fiber, but rather to find the level that works to stabilize you. I have been on the diet for 2 years, and am only taking 2-1/4 tsp of acacia a day. I am usually stable with this amount. Anytime I try to increase even 1/4 tsp, I have problems.

Also, are you spacing out the dosage throughout the day? Taking it in three or four smaller doses should help elimiate the gas. Good luck!

Re: To add.... new
      #280906 - 09/05/06 10:50 AM
Jordy

I thought C people needed higher doses of Acacia. The low dose doesn't help the C at all.

Are you a C too?

I do space it out. I take it in 3 doses before meals. Thanks so much for your feedback, Karen!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1863 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 927

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review