All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Please help me....
      #280330 - 08/29/06 08:09 PM
lms1977

Reged: 08/22/06

I am IBS-C and my doctors want to put me on Prozac for my PMS since the IBS symptoms get worse right before my period. I am a little uncomfortable about going on an anti-depressant, I don't care how low the dose is. I've heard that 5-HTP is a natural amino acid that helps with seratonin. Does anyone know anything about this supplement? Also, any suggestions on dealing with IBS that is worsened with PMS? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please help me.... new
      #280372 - 08/30/06 09:46 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

There is a thread on here about this, actually, from very recently. Called "that time of the month..." I believe. Several of us simply don't have periods; I take a monophasic pill and skip the placebos (don't take a week off). Since I'm on a monophasic, I don't have the changing hormone levels that make PMS so bad. I don't get cramps, moodiness, or PMS at all! And, therefore, my IBS symptoms don't worsen due to hormone changes. It's perfectly safe, and was originally started to help people who have menstrual migraines (which is why I started doing it).

Good luck!
Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Please help me.... new
      #280455 - 08/30/06 07:05 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

5-htp can work great fro some people and make others fall flat on their face tired. i tried it before going back on AD's as i was doing my two year try everything natural approach. Which taught me lots about my body and nutrition, but also that for some of my issues i need the AD's. 5-htp is best taken at night and increased slowly with touchy tummies, see if you can find enteric coated ones whihc are easier on the tummy and if the bottle says to take more than 1 50mg capsule per day as a starting point, don't listen. Do a few days of 1 cap at night, then a few of 2 caps at night, then if they don't make you too tired during the day you can start taking them in the day as well, try to take as little as possible while still getting results, less is always best with all supplements. Magnesium is also very important for pms symptoms, you can also try maca or herb combos that contain vitex/chaste berry, black cohosh, etc or a soy isoflavone extract. Good luck.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2613 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 601

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review