All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need your rectal/colon surgery experiences and opinions PLEASE
      #280297 - 08/29/06 12:38 PM
Abigail

Reged: 03/12/05
Loc: Orlando,FL

OK here it goes...went to the colon surgeon yesterday, he told me I had a big rectocele and wants to do some kind of laparoscopy surgery ASAP. He said that it could get worst if I don't have the surgery. I can definitely feel the rectocele coming out when I sit on the toilet and push. I also talked on the phone to a friend of the family, a retired colon surgeon, and he told me to get a second opinion. From what I told him on the phone, he thinks I might no need abdominal surgery, but just anal. He says it's easier to fix that way.

I'm very concerned that the doc I went to see yesterday is a very young, graduated in 1998, completed his internship in 2003 and completed his fellowship training in colon surgery in 2004. I would feel a lot better to have the surgery by a doc with many years of experience.

I would like to hear from you guys that have or had rectocele and surgery. I would really appreciate sharing your experiences and opinion about my situation PLEASE.

Thank you sooo much !

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------
The joy of the Lord is my strength !

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need your rectal/colon surgery experiences and opinions PLEASE new
      #280316 - 08/29/06 04:28 PM
mtmtmt

Reged: 04/09/06

I don't know much about your diagnosis but I take it this could be the cause of your constipation? Do you also have abdominal pain and other symptoms of IBS that can be attributed to this diagnosis. How did they diagnose it? Colonoscopy?

#280325 - 08/29/06 06:00 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Get a second opinion...I'd say. My a few doctors have told me that surgeons like to do surgery. Not that he'd lie to you, but this is just what my GIs have told me. They also said any type of surgery runs a high risk of leaving scar tissue which can be a big problem for symptoms.

What is anal?

I'd definitely get a second opinion...and if the second one agrees, this would be something to really think about...if it could help you, how wonderful would that be!

What does your regular GI think? Did your GI send you to the surgeon...or did you decide to go on your own?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#280352 - 08/30/06 07:39 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Abi,

I sent you an email about this.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#280355 - 08/30/06 08:19 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Mary, did you have this done? Are you feeling better? Hope so! I'll read through some of your other postings to see if and how you were diagnosed with this. How do they find this???

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#280361 - 08/30/06 08:42 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I have not had it fixed yet. I was diagnosed at the beginning of August. My surgery is Sept. 22. I can't wait! The diagnosis is made based on a rectal exam by a colon/rectal surgeon. My Dr. also made me sit on a toilet and push...that way they can see if there is a prolapse or not. It's one of those things that you have it or you don't...it's either there or it's not. They can tell immediately. If you have questions feel free to ask.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6112 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 789

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review