All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Poll - Type of IBS
      #279606 - 08/23/06 08:04 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Over the next few months I am going to do a series of polls to gain an understanding of the IBS population that frequents this message board. You participation would be sincerely appreciated.

Please indicate which of the following best describes you

Sex & Type of IBS
Female IBS-D
Female IBS-C
Female IBS-A
Female IBS-D with pain
Female IBS-C with pain
Female IBS-A with pain
Male IBS-D
Male IBS-C
Male IBS-A
Male IBS-D with pain
Male IBS-C with pain
Male IBS-A with pain

View the results for this poll

Thank you for participating.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Why? -nt- new
      #279624 - 08/23/06 10:09 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Why? -nt- new
      #279626 - 08/23/06 10:20 AM
Syl

Primarly curiosity - I am a researcher by nature and training

And maybe it will give others a sense of the diversity of this community showing why one approach does not fit everyone all the time.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Edited by Syl (08/23/06 10:33 AM)

So this is just for your own personal curiousity and is not going to new
      #279775 - 08/24/06 08:59 AM
Sand

turn up in a paper or article or blog or post or whatever outside this Website. Correct?

Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this:

Quote:

And maybe it will give others a sense of the diversity of this community showing why one approach does not fit everyone all the time.

since the Board is for people who are following a single approach.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Sand - why are you so suspicious? new
      #279798 - 08/24/06 09:40 AM
Syl

Any good researcher would know that data derived from a public message board won't qualify as valid research. Furthermore a reputable journal wouldn't accept a publication based on such data.

Quote:

since the Board is for people who are following a single approach.

Hmmmm - I thought it was for people exchanging information on how to handle their IBS. If it was for a single approach then everyone here would be buying Acacia and not Benefiber like some do.

I like many others on this message board am trying to figure out better ways to handle my IBS!

There is a lot of conflicting information being reported. One way to get a better understanding of what techniques help is to see if there is a consensus. For example, I am sure there is a consensus that SF helps the majority of people. I am not so sure there is a consensus that things like oatmeal and soy are on everyone's safe list. Let find out!

Information leads to knowledge and knowledge will help us control our IBS. Surely this is a good thing

--------------------

Re: I think there was a bit of misunderstanding.. new
      #279800 - 08/24/06 09:51 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

This board is meant for people who are following Heather's diet/advice. Therefore it can be seen as a single approach. However, people will differ in terms of what foods they can handle, which specific brands of supplements/medications help them, what type of symptoms they have, and what other existing conditions they have that may hinder their ability to find success with the diet. We are all different, but again, these boards are meant for people who are following Heather's advice.

I think the poll's a good way to show the range in types of IBS that people are dealing with. I'll be checking back to see the results.

--------------------
Kat

Because many years ago new
      #279804 - 08/24/06 10:11 AM
Sand

I was involved in a support group where one member was actually there gathering data on the others. I ended up in an article, thinly disguised. No, the article did not appear in a scientific journal, but it did appear in a local newspaper read by people who knew me. I learned that I was not crazy about being an uninformed lab rat.

It is quite true that data derived from a public message board would not qualify as statistically valid, but there are a lot of articles out there about IBS that rely heavily on studies that are not double-blind, not placebo-controlled, and not random. Unless I've missed a recent article, all of the hot SIBO stuff, for example, is about as statistically messy as it's possible to get.

Even apart from issues of testable solutions to IBS, an article derived from information on this Board would be quite interesting from a psychological standpoint (either blind following of a flawed plan or providing hope to the hopeless); an alternative medicine standpoint (a solution for IBS outside the normal bounds of Western medicine); and a systems standpoint (apart from the specific information being discussed, what are the dynamics of the group).

Knowledge is generally an excellent thing. I had simply hoped you would explicitly reassure me about how you plan to use it.

--------------------

Kat - Blessed are the peacemakers... new
      #279806 - 08/24/06 10:13 AM
Sand

I've said what I had to say, so I'll shut up now. Thanks for your calming influence.

--------------------

Re: Because many years ago new
      #279809 - 08/24/06 10:31 AM
Syl

Be assured that I am an ethical researcher.

More importantly I struggle with IBS. Even though I follow most of Heather's diet I like other's find some things don't work while others do. It is a rare day over the past 25+ years that I don't experience pain. Perhaps by sharing knowledge some day things will change.

I will be forever hopeful

--------------------

Re: So this is just for your own personal curiousity and is not going to new
      #279862 - 08/24/06 05:11 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

Well, I know that I often feel like everybody is D and I am C. It's nice to know that isn't how it is.

Poll reminder new
      #280701 - 09/02/06 07:42 AM
Syl

Thank you for participating in this poll. If you have not already entered a response please do so.

So far this poll suggests the split between females and males is nearly representive of the general IBS population, however, men are under represented. I would guess that this might be expected of a public message board.

As for the type of IBS there appears to be roughly an equal distribution of types.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2232 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1707

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review