All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Soy Products
      #278338 - 08/15/06 06:02 AM
unekme

Reged: 06/08/06
Loc: Orem, Utah

I have used soy milk and meats for years, but these last few weeks stopped the soy milk. I notice that every day at work I get severe gas and bloated in the afternoon that goes through the evening, but not on the weekends. I eat vegan burgers at work, which are made from soy. Does any one else have reactions to soy, as I feel this is part of my problem. I am left with rice milk, which doesn't sound good. I can not have nuts of any kind as I am allergic to them.
Also, I notice in most of the posts that the main IBS problems are with diarreha. I have severe constipation and would like any suggestions. I do use the accacia powder, but I feel since I had to change my eating habits, the constipation is worse. I also have actually gained weight because I have to eat differently now. Like the rest of this group, I'm so frustrated with this. I've just started dating a wonderful guy and haven't the courage to tell him about the gas and bloating and cramping. He knows about the IBS, but just the food restrictions I have.
Just had to vent this morning, thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy Products new
      #278339 - 08/15/06 06:09 AM
NancyB

Reged: 08/13/06

YES!! Just recently I stopped drinking the soy milk that had been so much a staple in my diet this past year and the terrible gas and bloating I experienced each afternoon has gone away. I think soy was the cause of that particular problem. Beano did not help. However, Beano has allowed me to eat a Morning Star Farm veggie pattie...Just thought some validation might help -- thanks for your post.

#278345 - 08/15/06 06:57 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I would give Beano a try with the soy products. It helped me a lot, but might be different for everyone. I can eat as much soy as I want now as long as I have Beano with it.

Kat

--------------------
Kat

#278347 - 08/15/06 07:11 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I also used to drink soy milk every morning and would get gas/bloating in the afternoon. I switched to vanilla rice milk, which is really good! I actually like it better than soy milk. I agree with the others that Beano can work wonders for preventing gas caused by soy. Give it a shot. I'm also a C, and a vegetarian, and I just try to eat a good amount of IF with every meal. If I don't get enough IF, I end up with C. But you have to find a balance - don't overdo the IF!

Good luck,
Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#278348 - 08/15/06 07:15 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

I'm also a C, and a vegetarian, and I just try to eat a good amount of IF with every meal. If I don't get enough IF, I end up with C. But you have to find a balance - don't overdo the IF!

Yep, I agree and I'm C too. You need to get enough IF, but you also have to get enough SF or otherwise you'll just get crampy and more C. And liquids and exercise are also key!

--AC

#278360 - 08/15/06 08:07 AM
unekme

Because of food restrictions I have had for years, not knowing it was partly IBS, I have to have protein in the morning, and now that I can not have soy, what else do others eat. I can not have any dairy, nuts, and of course, only white chicken and seafood. I basically have gone vegan, but now feel really restricted without soy. I am low blood sugar and low blood pressure, so get very weak and dizzy in the mornings. Any suggestions?

#278363 - 08/15/06 08:23 AM
K2

I also feel weak in the mornings, low blood sugar to blame. I eat oatmeal (acacia sprinkled on) with some berries, and drink water with acacia. This settles my stomach pretty well and then I have something more substantial like peanut butter on toast, soy milk, or egg whites. I eat often in the morning, little snacks of safe food. I also have a Luna bar if I'm feeling like I need more energy to keep me going until lunch. I eat an early lunch and make sure to get lots of protein. Have you tried Luna bars?

Kat

--------------------
Kat

#278370 - 08/15/06 09:02 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

What about scrambled egg whites? I like to add plain granola (which has protein) to my cream of rice cereal, or you could blend it in a smoothie. Are there ANY nut butters that you could eat on toast, or are all of them off-limits?

--Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#278371 - 08/15/06 09:19 AM
unekme

The scrambled egg whites sound like they would work. I can only have pistachios, all of the other nuts cause a bad reaction. I don't know if pistachios would make a spread as they have very little oil in them.

#278372 - 08/15/06 09:22 AM
unekme

I can not have any nuts, soy products, caffein or dairy. I have checked the Luna bars, but most of them have any of the foods I can't have. I'll check again to see if there are any safe ones I can have. My food allergies were here long before the IBS, which just restricted my food consumption even more. Sometimes I feel it's just easier to not eat.

#278375 - 08/15/06 09:32 AM
sandys

Reged: 03/22/06

I wouldn't go overboard on soy products. I used to eat lots in various forms(chips, yogurt, ice cream, milk, etc). If you read up on studies against soy, you might think twice. Plus, I understand it may suppress thyroid function (I am now being treated for hypothyroidism. Can't say if it is/is not soy consumption related.) I have stopped using soy. I eat hard boiled egg whites when I need protein. Or try egg white protein powder in cereals/oatmeal for breakfast. I also use rice milk now. It just doesn't work well in puddings & things. It doesn't seem to thicken.

#278379 - 08/15/06 09:52 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Soy and me do NOT mix. I used to drink soy milk, but now I drink rice milk. I think it tastes much better than soy. I've finally figured out that even tiny amounts of soy bother me. I can't have soy suace, anything like that. Just the other day I bought some bread that had soy flour. I decided to try it...and I paid for it. You defnitely can get by without eating soy. I can't eat any nuts either...because of my IBS. You have to be sure to get plenty of IF, drink plenty of fluids (water, tea, etc.), and get plenty of exercise. I think those are the 3 key things for controlling C.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#278393 - 08/15/06 10:57 AM
K2

Sorry forgot the nuts!

Have you tried egg whites? Most people can tolerate them and it's a great way to get protein especially in the morning. I cook up egg whites just like I used to cook whole eggs, add a bit of salt and pepper to taste, and eat it with white toast. And I stress again the importance of eating small amounts often. Keeps the tummy happy (not full but not starving). I sometimes feel the worst when I haven't eaten, and then feel so bad I'd rather not eat anything. It's hard to feel like eating when you're restricted and scared what you eat might hurt you, but once you find a balance you'll feel much better.

Let us know if you have any progress
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Re: Is non-dairy Tofu milk better digested than Soy milk? new
      #278395 - 08/15/06 11:16 AM
Abigail

Reged: 03/12/05
Loc: Orlando,FL

My mother went to health store and they told her that Tofu milk is much better for the GI.

Here is the link of the Tofu milk she bought me:

http://shopping.netledger.com/s.nl;jsessionid=ac112b2d1f43bc3d8ac621cb4878825390c4ab684b33.e3eTaxePaNqNe34Max4Pch4OaNf0n6jAmljGr5XDqQLvpAe?c=ACCT140751&sc=2&category=64&it=A&id=623

I want to try it but I want to know your thoughts first.Thank you!

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------
The joy of the Lord is my strength !

Re: Soy Products/Beano new
      #278397 - 08/15/06 11:19 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm with K2! If I take Beano I can handle soy without the explosive (& sometimes painful) backlash of GAS, bloating, frustration, etc. Soy is notoriously one of the GASSIEST beans of all the beans and don't I know it (but it doesn't scare me!)

Kate, IBS-D.

#278413 - 08/15/06 01:02 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

pea butter exists, it is made from yellow peas and good for those with nut allergies, get your protein, it is important, egg whites, egg white protein powder, rice protein powder, beware of the lure of winding up vegan, it has caused me many problems and now i am slowly adding fish back into my diet with good results, all make sure you get enough food throughout the day, i can't eat too much at once, so i have to eat 3 meals and 3 snacks or i get hypoglycemic.

pistachio butter new
      #278414 - 08/15/06 01:03 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

futters nut butters makes a pistachio butter that you can order online

Beano doesn't help me new
      #278516 - 08/16/06 08:14 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Why wouldn't this help me? Doesn't make sense. Do you take it with every meal no matter what you eat? How many? I just don't get it.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Beano doesn't help me new
      #278520 - 08/16/06 08:16 AM
K2

I take it as directed, 1 beano pill for about 1/2 cup of 'beano foods'. If you go to their website it states the foods that could cause gassiness. Basically I take it with anything that has soy, vegetables, or grains. 1/2 cup is not that much, so for a glass of soy milk I'd take 2 pills, for stir-fry veggies type platter I'd take 2-3 pills. If I'm eating a meal with no gassy foods, then I don't take any Beano.

Hope that helps,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Re: Soy Products/Beano new
      #278523 - 08/16/06 08:19 AM
K2

I actually tried the beano because of previous posts you had made about it. Boy am I glad I did. Thanks Kate!

--------------------
Kat

#278531 - 08/16/06 08:43 AM
Adele28

Soy is one of the top EIGHT allergens in the world.Soy is in many foods, and under many names, like "hydrolyzed protein." Try eliminating soy.

I don't eat soy at all!-nt new
      #278543 - 08/16/06 10:09 AM
Jordy

--------------------

Try taking it (Beano) as directed. new
      #278662 - 08/16/06 07:04 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

K2 makes an excellent point. I take it as directed (i.e. 1 beano for every 1/2c. of beano foods) and find it effective. Gassy foods include soy, legumes, nuts, vegetables, grains.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Try taking it (Beano) as directed. new
      #278871 - 08/17/06 07:26 PM
Abigail

Reged: 03/12/05
Loc: Orlando,FL

Is it ok to have Beano together with my enzyme supplement before eating gassy foods?
I took Beano today for the first time, I hope it helps me. I took it together with my enzymes that I buy at the health store. Was that ok?
Let me know please...

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------
The joy of the Lord is my strength !

Re: Try taking it (Beano) as directed. new
      #278891 - 08/18/06 06:31 AM
K2

It should be fine. The enzymes in Beano are specific to help break down gassy foods, while the enzymes you got at the store would probably target something else. Do you know what exactly your enzymes from the store should do?

Kat

--------------------
Kat

#278892 - 08/18/06 06:37 AM
Jordy

Thanks. This is how I do take it. Maybe it just doesn't work for me. Does it prevent the gas or just help you release it?

It doesn't do anything for me...and I even take digestive enzymes.

--------------------

#278893 - 08/18/06 06:42 AM
K2

It definetly prevents gas and works with foods as you eat them. Beano doesn't help for taking once you already have gas. For trapped gas I find Gas-X works best.

The beano website explains everything about how it works and lists of foods that can cause gas: http://www.beanogas.com/

Hope this helps, and dont be afraid to try other gas products that people have mentioned.

Kat

--------------------
Kat

Thanks K2!-nt new
      #278900 - 08/18/06 07:06 AM
Jordy

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5827 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7063

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review