All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Having a Defecography next week & have questions?
      #278088 - 08/12/06 01:35 PM
Abigail

Reged: 03/12/05
Loc: Orlando,FL

Hello guys,

I'm having this procedure done next week at the Sand Lake Hospital in Orlando FL. I would like to know if I should take a laxative the night before,like MOM, to empty my bowels. I have to be at the hospital at 1pm. Is it ok to have breakfast that morning?

The hospital mailed me some paper about this procedure and I read that I need to drink an 8oz barium. I never heard about having to drink anything for this procedure before. Can somebody help me on this? I want to know what to expect so I can be mentally and physically ready for this procedure.

Thank you for you help and support.

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------
The joy of the Lord is my strength !

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Having a Defecography next week & have questions? new
      #278093 - 08/12/06 03:01 PM
Frenzal

Reged: 07/29/06
Loc: Columbia MO

You've probably got this info but a quick Google came up with ...

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/aha/umdefecography.htm

Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-D, SIBO

#278110 - 08/12/06 07:42 PM
Abigail

Thank you so much Frenzal, very helpful. I can't wait to get this test over with. I'm getting really nervous about it.

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

#278140 - 08/13/06 04:05 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Hi,

I just had that test done about a week ago! Not very pleasant. My test was also at 1 pm. I ate breakfast in the morning, but nothing after that...they didn't tell me I couldn't, though. I had to do an enema about an hour before I left the house...I think I did it around 11:15. Then at noon I had to drink the barium they had given me. Gross!!! I hate that stuff. I've had to drink it before for another test. I hope I never have to drink it again. I did not have to take any kind of laxative the night before. Your whole system doesn't have to be cleared out. The enema should be sufficient. When I went to the hospital, they had a small tube of barium that I had to squeeze into my vagina (sorry if TMI). They needed to see all the cavities on the x-ray. Then they put a few tubes of barium up my rectum. That was the worst part of the test. I had to lay on my side while they took some x-rays. They make you squeeze and push to see how your muscles are working. Then I had to sit on this "toilet." It's basically a box with a seat. And they make you push everything out while they x-ray and video tape it(video of the x-rays, not you ) It is quite unpleasant, but the actual test only lasts a few minutes. Then comes the fun part of getting all the barium out of your system. I had my test done on a Thurs. I think I got it all out by Sat. I hope that helps. Good luck!!

By the way, why are they doing this test? Is there something specific they're looking for?

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

Re: Question for Mary_V or anybody that had a Defecography? new
      #278620 - 08/16/06 05:15 PM
Abigail

I had it done today around 5:30pm. It's 8:00pm now and I still know and feel all that white stuff inside my colon. I have been having lots of painful gas and I fill so full of it. I took MOM last night and had a fleet enema before the testing so I know I'm not C(stool) tonight.
When should I expect the barium they put up in my rectum to all come out? Is it going to hurt to have a barium BM? I'm already drinking water, but I haven't had dinner yet. Is it ok to eat dinner tonight?
I feel so crampy, this was the worst test ever, much worst than a colonoscopy :-(
I can't believe I had to drink 2 8oz of barium, then they 2 tubes full of barium up my rectum and one little one up my vagina. I'm so glad this is over !!!!!!

I also had an Anal Manometry earlier today, not fun :-(

I really don't feel well...pain, crampy, gassy and full of it(barium).

I guess I need to know that the worst is over. For those of you that had this test done already, I would really appreciate a few words to know what to expect tonight and the next few days.

Thank you so much !!!!!!! I really need the help tonight.

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

#278646 - 08/16/06 06:27 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I had some type of barium swallow test and I had white stools for about 3 days I think. Yes, the worst is definitely over.

The BMs with the barium don't feel any different. Just know you may be more constipated as barium is constipating.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#278681 - 08/16/06 07:54 PM
Abigail

Thank you Jordy, but I'm more concern about the barium the put up my rectum than anything else...I want to make sure it will all come when I have a BM and that it won't get hard.

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

#278698 - 08/17/06 04:50 AM
Mary_V

The worst is definitely over. I didn't have any problems getting the barium out. I had my test done on Thurs. and I think it was all out by Sat. Your BMs will be white at first, but the barium shouldn't really cause any problems or get stuck. I just stuck to my usual diet of lots of IF and drank plenty of fluids. I didn't have to do anything special to get it out. Even if things are a little slower for a day or two don't worry about it. The barium won't get stuck or cause major problems. If you're really concerned you can take some MOM to help things move a little faster. HTH. Glad it's over with. I know it's NOT a pleasant test. Have you gotten any results? Mine didn't show a whole lot. But my Dr. said they are not very accurate tests anyway...which makes me wonder why they make you go through it in the first place. My Dr. did diagnose me with rectal prolapse, though, and I will be having surgery for it on Sept. 22. I hope I feel a lot better after that. Good luck with your continued testing and search for answers. I know it can be very frustrating.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#278703 - 08/17/06 06:11 AM
Jordy

Quote:

My Dr. did diagnose me with rectal prolapse

what test did you have done for this? Was it the defocography?

Thanks

--------------------

#278707 - 08/17/06 06:42 AM
Mary_V

No. I went to a colon/rectal surgeon. He did a rectal exam and had me push while sitting on a toilet. If you have it the Dr. will be able to see it. Your rectum comes out when you push...not pleasant. He had me do the defecography after that just to be sure there wasn't anything else going on/to get all the details. It's a visual diagnosis he can do in his office. But there are other types of prolapse (bladder, vaginal?) that could show up on a test like that. Do you think you have rectal prolapse? Do you have symptoms you are curious about?

--------------------
~Mary

#278724 - 08/17/06 07:34 AM
Jordy

Quote:

But there are other types of prolapse (bladder, vaginal?) that could show up on a test like that

Do you mean these other prolapses could show up on the defecography or is it other tests?

I am concerned I have a rectal prolapse. Are there specific symptoms besides constipation?

--------------------

#278730 - 08/17/06 07:45 AM
Mary_V

I don't have the other kinds of prolapse, so I don't know much about them. I assume they would show up on the defecography, but I really don't know. You may want to do a search if you're concerned about them. Rectal prolapse does involve more than C. You can feel something coming out when you push to have a BM. If you do a search on the web there are some good sites that list symptoms. If you have ever had to push something back in after having a BM, then there's a good chance it's rectal prolapse. I say that I am IBS c, but I don't know that I am truly c. When things come out they are pretty normal...most of the time...as long as I eat healthy/plenty of fiber. It's just getting them out that's the problem...the prolapse is in the way. I also go multiple times a day, every day. It never feels like I've gotten everything out. If you have specific symptoms you are concerned about feel free to ask. If you don't feel comfortable posting them on here give me your email address and I can talk to you about it that way.

--------------------
~Mary

Thank you Mary! new
      #278760 - 08/17/06 10:26 AM
Jordy

This sounds too familiar to me! Incomplete evacuations, feeling like I have to push some poop back in, going multiple times a day, but never completely...

My stools aren't normal looking though. They are long, strings...not bulky. Do you take an SFS to help with that?

Thank you so much.

--------------------

Re: Thank you Mary! new
      #278772 - 08/17/06 11:13 AM
Mary_V

I take citrucel and acacia. I think the citrucel helps bulk things up and get things moving for me, but the acacia helps me get the quantity of SF that I need w/o having to take a million scoops of cit. I do get thin strings if I don't eat enough IF. They are usually pretty dark and sticky. Even when things are moving ok a lot of time my BMs seem quite flat...like they have to squeeze through a small opening...which is actually the case. I find that I eat way more IF than I used to now. When I started trying the EFI diet I was scared of IF. Now I realize that I need a lot of it to keep things moving. So most of what I eat is IF. I don't worry as much about SF since I take suppliments (a/b 20g a day) and a lot of the IF food that I eat (like veggies) also has SF. And I eat fewer starchy things now than I used to...like bread and pasta...and eat more veggies and fruit instead. When things get really bad I use Milk of Mag. to help things along (a/b 2 Tbsp. before bed). But that doesn't happen very often.

If you are really concerned about having rectal prolapse I would see a colon/rectal surgeon. He can examine you and give you a diagnosis in his office. I know it doesn't sound pleasant, but it's really not that bad. Mine lasted about a minute. And it wasn't painful. And it's worth it if it leads to a diagnosis.

When you say it feels like you have to push poop back in...is it actually poop or something else? Have you ever felt what is there or looked at it? If it is actually poop, then it may just be constipation. But if it is actual tissue then it is either prolapse or hemerroids. I know it's gross, but if you feel that way, touch it or use a mirror to look at it. Just so you know. HTH. Feel free to ask any more questions. I know I had a million questions when I first heard about rectal prolapse. And that was only a couple months ago! Now I'm scheduled for surgery. I can't wait!

--------------------
~Mary

Re: Question for Mary_V about Defecography and rectal prolapse? new
      #278782 - 08/17/06 12:00 PM
Abigail

Mary_V, all of my symptmos are identical to the ones you mention here:
"If you have ever had to push something back in after having a BM, then there's a good chance it's rectal prolapse. I say that I am IBS c, but I don't know that I am truly c. When things come out they are pretty normal...most of the time...as long as I eat healthy/plenty of fiber. It's just getting them out that's the problem...the prolapse is in the way. I also go multiple times a day, every day. It never feels like I've gotten everything out".

Bloating is big issue for me. Do you feel bloated must of the time?

Can you email me or can I email you so I can ask you some personal questions?

Do I still need to go to a colon surgeon after my defecography yesterday?

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. You are so helpful.

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

Abi, how are you feeling today? new
      #278788 - 08/17/06 12:10 PM
Jordy

Are your poops white? Isn't it freaky!

--------------------

#278792 - 08/17/06 12:15 PM
Jordy

I just assumed it was poop. I'll have to investigate this a little further.

Thanks again. Do you know if you need a referral to see a surgical gastro guy? My doctor thinks if you go to any type of surgeon (no matter what kind) they will want to do surgery on you because thats what they like to do. I would hope not if you didn't need it! Point is, I don't think my doc would give me a referral.

--------------------

Re: Abi, how are you feeling today? new
      #278795 - 08/17/06 12:24 PM
Abigail

Hello Jordy,

I still don't feel well, still crampy, bloated(more than usual). My BM today was a mess, painful and white with lots of undigested food :-( Still eating all my high fiber food and drinking lots of water(as always). I get my tests results on Tuesday and Wed I will go the food allergy doc.
I might go see a colon/rectal surgeon as Mary_V said, unless the defecography test that I had done yesterday shows something.

Are you looking in to that also?

Blessings,
Abi

--------------------

Re: Question for Mary_V about Defecography and rectal prolapse? new
      #278799 - 08/17/06 12:35 PM
Mary_V

I actually didn't used to have bloating, but lately I have a little bit. It depends on the day. What a pain!

I would say definitely see a colon surgeon. I went to one first, he saw the prolapse, but then did the defecography just to have a further look. The def. actually didn't show much. So, that would not have been sufficient to diagnose me.

I am happy to share this with everyone. I wish I had heard about it sooner! I'm so thankful that Avidan (usually posts in the living room) mentioned it. He just had surgery for it last week. I wouldn't want anyone else to suffer longer than they need to. I know it's not fun. If you would like to email me that's fine. I know some things...especially like this...are very personal. My email is jmvoogt@comcast.net.

I also saw an allergist...but wasn't allergic to anything. I guess that's good, but doesn't give any more answers.

--------------------
~Mary

#278800 - 08/17/06 12:37 PM
Mary_V

I did have to get a referral from my primary Dr. He's pretty good about that. I would be persistant about getting the referral. If you do have prolapse, the only treatment is surgery...so of course a surgeon would want to operate if you do have it!

--------------------
~Mary

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2612 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5358

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review