All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: acacia question new
      #276951 - 08/03/06 12:37 PM
Dabrybry

Reged: 08/01/06
Loc: Merritt Island, Florida

ah yes, the increasing dosage...If i start with 1 teaspoon a day, how long should i wait to increase the dose, and how many times daily would you guys say is best to take the acacia? (feeling much more stable now...*whew*)
-Dabrybry

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

How long.... new
      #278385 - 08/15/06 10:21 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

did it take you to get up to this dose? What dose did you start at? I want to try Acacia, but it seems like it will take months to get up a a decent dose. Do we really have to only add 1/2 tsp a week?

BTW, I'm C.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: acacia question new
      #278390 - 08/15/06 10:43 AM
funmom

Reged: 08/09/06
Loc: California

Okay, I'm IBS - C but then I get the stomach spasms/severe pain and then finally go. I have been taking Citrucel (capsules) for the last 5 days or so. Anyways, I received Heather's Acacia Powder yesterday and started w/1/2 tsp last night and 1/2 tsp this morning. I also started drinking Peppermint Tea 2 - 3 times a day. Here's the problem..........I'm now "going" more but I have a bad stomach ache (not the severe spasms)but just an "unsettled" stomach - kinda crampy and sore........is this due to the Acacia? I'm not eating anything else to speak of........just a little rice, graham crackers, water, pretzels. Any ideas on this? I just want to feel better!!

No, you can increase your dose at your own pace... new
      #278396 - 08/15/06 11:19 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

if you go too far too fast you'll overwhelm your gut with fiber and get gas and bloating. But, many folks can go up by an extra 1/2 tsp. or so every few days, or even by a full tsp. It varies so much from person to person, it just takes some trial and error.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: No, you can increase your dose at your own pace... new
      #278402 - 08/15/06 11:51 AM
funmom

I only started with 1/2 tsp last night and this morning - I was taking Citrucel before for a few days (2 capsules in a.m. and 2 in the p.m.)......I shouldn't be having stomach aches with this little of Acacia should I? Now I'm afraid to take it tonight! Not sure if I should go back to Citrucel. I've been really "icky" feeling lately - sweats, clammy, shaky........not sure what it is......I started Wellbutrin XL but that was 3 wks ago........dr. said I would have had a reaction in the first 3 days - if any.

Don't give up on acacia yet! new
      #278403 - 08/15/06 12:05 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I had to start at just 1/8 teaspoon twice a day because the 1/2 t. was way too much for me to start with! I've been using it about 3 or 4 weeks now, and have worked up to about 1/2 teaspoon twice a day. I'm going VERY slowly! Like you, I had really bad gas and bloating when I started with the 1/2 teaspoon dose. Be patient; start really small and work up VERY slowly! Also like you, I started to give up. But then Shell and Heather convinced me to give it another shot.

--Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#278411 - 08/15/06 12:58 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

the unsettled tummy, shaky, clammy sounds like you need more food in your system, i get that way when i don't eat regularly, eat safely by all means, but our body needs nutrients to function and not get hypoglycemic, feed yourself asap, with safe fruits and veggies since bread and pretzles don't give nutrition. Bananas, mangoes, potatoes, rice, mushy carrots, mushy beats etc.

#278418 - 08/15/06 01:11 PM
funmom

Thanks........ I will.....I've been eating almost nothing for 6 days now and not alot of improvement! I'm starting to get really depressed - thinking that this is now my new (;( way of life and the end to what I used to know. I'm having a very hard time emotionally.

Re: Don't give up on acacia yet! new
      #278419 - 08/15/06 01:13 PM
funmom

Thanks........I'm trying to not give up.....I'm just really upset/crying/depressed about this constant pain/feeling icky. We (hubby & 4 kids) are going to the lake next week for vacation and I'm already thinking of telling them I have to stay at the hotel instead of having fun with them.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2947 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3851

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review