All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
more questions on IBS
      #275704 - 07/26/06 09:10 AM
theresab

Reged: 07/26/06

I have been going to the doctor for several months now with stomach problems- when I eat I immediatly (almost always) get sick with diarhea and the spend much of the evening in the restroom. They have done several tests and cant find anything- they are just stumped, so I havent been diagnosed with IBS- but..... here are my questions
1. Is it hereditary? My mother has been diagnosed with it and I have the same symptoms/problems as she did/does

2. How can you get a diagnosis? I swear the doctor thinks Im making stuff up!

3. I notice with my stomach problems that certain veggies and fruits really set it off- is that common for fruit/veggies to do it? Ive read about the fats/dairy/alcohol etc but nothing on veggies.

I have been during the Dr Natura Colonix for the last month, and while there are some positives, I havent noticed a big change in stomach problems. I have been under extreme stress though. I also in April went on a no or very very low fat diet with lots of fruits, veggies, and protiens (chicken, fish) but with my body type not allowed alot of fiber. It made me very sick- I was told on the message boards thru the diet site that it was just my body reacting to the changes that I had done and it would slowly go away- I was detoxing they said. Well after a month of eating that way- I was still very sick. I especially notice it with lettuce (even a minute amount), broccoli (I know it is a gas producer), and citrusy fruits. The starchier veggies dont seem to bother me- potatoes, corn, beans.

Any advice would help- as I think I am going crazy becuz no one believes me and think Im a hypochondriac looking for attention.
Thanks ahead of time for your help!
Theresa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi Theresa! Welcome! new
      #275711 - 07/26/06 09:35 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

As far as I know, IBS isn't officially hereditary, but I know there's a few of us wandering around on here - myself included! - who come from a long line of people with digestive problems... so I think it's entirely possible.

IBS is diagnosed by ruling everything else out. A good list of the standard tests that people have is here. If your doctor thinks you're making it up, and you have to means to find another doctor, do it. That was my biggest mistake over the years - not being assertive enough about my health. I had IBS for 17 years before I was diagnosed!

Fruits and veggies can set off IBS, because they are insoluble fiber and that's tougher to digest. It's a good bit of reading, but I REALLY suggest you read the Diet section of this website - it will explain the difference between soluble and insoluble fibers, how to eat both of them safely, and what foods are just straight-up bad news for people with IBS. To put it bluntly, you're eating almost totally (low-fat is good!) the wrong way now, and it's no surprise to me at all that you're not feeling better. The IBS diet here isn't necessarily a quick fix, and it might take longer than a month to see noticeable improvement, but it's a long-term solution.

Good luck, and welcome again!

Re: more questions on IBS new
      #275781 - 07/26/06 04:44 PM
sophiejay

Reged: 07/26/06
Loc: England

I'm the same with vegetables, i cant eat alot of fruit or veg and a low fibre diet is out of the question for me. My doctors and family really didn't understand and it took them quite a few years to diagnose ibs. But it does sound like you've got it but i'd demmand to be tested for any alternative conditions or illnesses just to be safe! I had to switch doctors four times before i was successfully diagnosed. Doctors are there to help you that is their job so get the very best out of them! Its your health thats important. I really hope you start feeling better soon and hope ur doing ok hang in there.I hope this was helpfullxx

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 698 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 449

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review