All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Tuesday - endometriosis new
      #279974 - 08/25/06 08:30 PM
Tuesday

Reged: 07/13/06
Loc: Oregon

Oh yeah, that is a good idea. Why didn't I think of that? I have been going to endo boards & perimenopause boards for endo info. I never thought to go here too. I am just on too many boards. Confusing... LOL!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Questran (cholestyramine) new
      #280042 - 08/27/06 07:31 AM
Nimbus

Reged: 08/19/06
Loc: RTP, NC

The form I take is colestid (colestipol) I take 1 gram twice a day. The pills are HUGE and cannot be broken in half. I have been thinking about dropping one dose since discovering fiber but I'm not yet comfortable enough to try.

I'm glad it's helping you! I feel like I get minimal help from it but I'll take all I can get!

--------------------
~Nim
Pain-Predominant IBS-A

#280049 - 08/27/06 09:59 AM
Langgang

Reged: 06/25/06
Loc: Sedalia, MO

I too have used cholestyramine for diarrhea and also still have my gallbladder. Back in April when my symptoms first appeared, a bad gallbladder was the first thing my doctor tested for. Unfortunately (or fortunately) all the tests came back that my gallbladder was working normally. So my Dr. put me on generic Questran to help with the D. It works great. I would add the powder to applesauce in the morning and have a dose again in the evening. I was normal and didn't worry about what I ate and if I would have to run to the restroom suddenly. (I am a teacher and can't just run to the restroom whenever.) I continued using the generic Questran until mid-May when I was referred to a surgeon since I was still having other symptoms. He did further testing (colonoscopy, endoscopy, blood tests, etc)and found out that everything was normal, so diagnosed me with IBS. He took me off generic Questran and dicyclomine and told me to watch my diet. I had already gotten Heathers EFI book and had been adhering to the diet religiously. Now I am pretty stable and have the generic Questran and dicyclomine as a back-up. (Which I used a few weeks ago because of the stress of school starting, 2 children turning 15 & getting their learner's permit and also them starting high school) Heather's diet has been the most help to me now that I understand what is happening to my body and how different foods affect it. But it's really comforting to know I have the Questran and that it WILL work!

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

#280050 - 08/27/06 10:15 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Let me see if I get this right? Questran can help you even if you don't have bile salt diarrhea? I have had the bile salt malabsorption test done and the results were completely normal so then I figured Questran wouldn't work. (Have also read that Questran can cause diarrhea too, that it can take a big effort to find the exact optimal amount.)

Anyway, I'm on loperamide and that's working for me which is good. But it's always good to have back up info. Plus, my fiancé and I are planning to try to "get pregnant" some time within a year and loperamide is safer to use during pregnancy I believe.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#280098 - 08/27/06 04:42 PM
NancyB

Reged: 08/13/06

Sorry for the delay, not used to checking this message board...

I've found that drinking adequate water resolves any tendency toward constipation from the cholestyramine-- you might be able to reduce your dose, too. I've cut out dairy and recently tried to add it back in but no luck. Soy doesn't seem to work for me either -- though it did for a while. I struggle, I'll be honest. I've been feeling particularly deprived of late. Oh yeah, I can't eat more than about 5g of fat at any one time. Any more than that causes quite a bit of gastric distress...wish I could be of more help! Good luck!

#280439 - 08/30/06 03:56 PM
Tuesday

Hey Langgang, I also have a 15 year old who just got his driver's permit. That is real stress right there! LOL!!!

#280440 - 08/30/06 04:19 PM
Tuesday

I agree with NancyB on the water thing with the Questran. I found that the days I do have the minimal constipation problems are the same days I either haven't drank enough water or haven't ate enough fruit.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1773 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6035

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review