All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Wheat
      #27239 - 11/15/03 04:05 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

I have heard that a lot of people w/ IBS cannot tolerate wheat. Though I have severe IBS, wheat is not a trigger, and it actually helps keep me "regular." Has anyone else experienced this?

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wheat new
      #27244 - 11/15/03 04:19 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome. Please read the dietary guidelines. This page web page will explain why white flour/breads are soothing and why whole wheat can cause attacks.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#27248 - 11/15/03 04:33 PM
Shanna

One thing that I have learned about IBS is that everyone is different. Certain things cause attacks for certain people. Wheat helps me. I was just curious as to whether or not anyone else experienced this. Thanks!

--------------------

#27249 - 11/15/03 04:38 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - There are lots of individual variations with IBS, but there are also some fundamental dietary guidelines that affect just about everyone the same way. HansSolo sent you the link to that info. Refined wheat flour is quite likely to help you (and everyone else with IBS) because it's a great source of soluble fiber. You'll hear from tons of folks on this board that white breads, pastas, pretzels, tortillas, and other foods made with refined wheat flour are their safe staples. What's especially great about these foods is that their soluble fiber foundation allows you to safely add in insoluble fiber (from, say, whole wheat or fruits and veggies) without trigger an attack.

If someone is very sensitive to all forms of wheat, in any quantity, that could actually be a big red flag for celiac (a gluten intolerance disorder), which is often misdiagnosed as IBS.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks new
      #27252 - 11/15/03 06:22 PM
Shanna

I really appreciate your sensative, insightful comment.

--------------------

#27278 - 11/16/03 07:13 AM
katgirl

Reged: 10/31/03

Heather - what are the symptoms for celiac? are they the same as for IBS?

#27290 - 11/16/03 11:07 AM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

Shanna: I can tolerate some whole wheat also-but as Heather says-triggers are very individual-if it helps keep you going and more stabel-more power to you! Do you eat white or whole wheat??????? Maryh

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

#27294 - 11/16/03 11:33 AM
Shanna

I eat whole wheat. It doesn't bother me. I almost feel guilty about this -- the first person who responded seemed to be upset by this. I have done lots of "experiments" and have figured out all of my own (individual) triggers. For example, wine doesn't bother me, but actually helps. Milk and cheese, however, = death.

I sometimes use white flour because I know it is very easy to digest and tastes better in some recipes. But I buy whole wheat sandwhich bread b/c it has more fiber and nutritional value. Plus, I grew up on it and loved the taste.

I developed IBS at age 18. How about you? What are the things you can't eat, and what helps you control your symptoms? BTW, you have a cool name!

--------------------

#27300 - 11/16/03 01:08 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!

There are MANY signs for celiac. It is an autoimmune disorder...so chronic illness can be a symptom, iron defiency is a symptom, constipation or dirrhea could be a symptom...

For more info. you can do a search on this board...or you can check out:

Celiac.com

Delphiforums.org

csaceliacs.org

Csaceliacs.org has a toll free # on their webcite you can call and ask questions from an expert.

If you have any more questions or would like to discuss this further, feel free! I am being tested after waiting a whole year for Celiac in December...so I've done some research!

HTH!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I'm okay with more whole wheat than most IBS folks, too... new
      #27312 - 11/16/03 01:52 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I often add it to white flour (when baking) or eat whole wheat bread after I eat some white bread first. But I really don't have to be nearly as careful with whole wheat as with other insoluble fibers (like raw greens, or bean sprouts, or popcorn). And I have no problem with other whole grains like brown rice or oatmeal.

I've been really surprised to learn how sensitive many folks are to whole wheat, though. It seems to be one of the least tolerated forms of insoluble fiber - certainly the toughtest whole grain for many.

Basically, since it's really important to eat as much variety and quantity of insoluble fiber foods as possible for overall good health, whenever you find a form that you can tolerate, definitely make it a regular part of your diet!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 434 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2397

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review