All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Dried Apricots, frozen blueberries, and bananas?
      #263403 - 05/15/06 06:48 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Are these genuinely difficult for a lot of people? Are they not the best fruits to try and incorporate? I'm tired of cooked, peeled apples, papayas, frozen mango, and cooked strawberries.

Are strawberries genuinely well tolerated?

I know, everyone is different...but I was just wondering if perhaps there are some universal foods that are more common problems. I just would like to get and idea of how many can and cannot eat these daily without problems.

Thanks for putting up with me. Stupid obsessing, I guess. But I would feel a little better hearing from the peanut gallery.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dried Apricots, frozen blueberries, and bananas? new
      #263413 - 05/15/06 07:15 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

What about frozen/peeled fresh peaches? The blueberries have skin - which makes them a bit harder to digest. Peaches are nice and mushy by nature. Why not try those? In the summer, I peel and slice them and put them in freezer bags. That way, I can just pull them out and use them. Plus, YUM!
Strawberries - I love more than life itself, but even I who am extremely stable have to be careful with them. I don't know if it's the seeds, or that I can't help but eat too many, but hey. I don't know.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#263417 - 05/15/06 07:37 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Bananas: are my friend. I can eat them and eat them with no ill effects. If I have a touch of C I think the bring me along (although I think others have had the opposite experience)

Strawberries:Only in smoothies etc, strawberries tend to give me D if I eat them on an empty stomach or without SF- they are great in smoothies with bananas and applejuice though

Frozen blueberries are fine for me, I eat them in smoothies and with ADBs as a dessert (mmm) Same goes for frozen or fresh raspberries.

Dried Apricots- in my opinion taste like leather! I eat fresh peaches or nectarines fine though.

I can also eat fresh pineapple in my oatmeal and I get away with seedless grapes without having to peel them.

--------------------
S.

#263436 - 05/15/06 08:40 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I eat at least 1 banana every single day without problems. I can also eat berries, peaches, apples, pears, all uncooked. The quality of fruit is still not-so-great this time of year, so I eat a raw apple a day and skip the other stuff till it's in season.

Dried apricots make me poop. That might be a good thing, though, eh? LOL

#263438 - 05/15/06 08:49 AM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

Dried apricots constipate me and give e major gas. Frozen blueberries are fine, I just don't like them. Banana's are OK but I don't eat too many otherwise they cause constipation...I put them in my smoothies and have had as many as three smoothies in one day so all "mushed up", I don't suppose they bother me.

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#263440 - 05/15/06 08:53 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

bananas are great, though i know some people associate them with C. but i've never had problems with them.

frozen blueberries are okay for me, especially in smoothies. i prefer frozen raspberries (i eat them with chopsticks, almost-thawed), which i find safe and delicious.

i can handle dried apricots in very small quantities.

whole strawberries are alright for me, but not the best. i wouldn't eat a bowlful of them.

hope that helps.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#263470 - 05/15/06 10:51 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Dried apricots: unsulphered, organic dried apricots make me poop. I prefer the fresh, in season--their skins actually don't bother me a bit.

Fresh/frozen berries: no problem if blended (I make strawberry soup all summer!). all fruit smoothies are delicious. Fresh/raw/whole berries--strawberries are most difficult; I can handle a few (less than 1/4-1/2 c.) unblended.

Peaches: No problem! They do have a really stool softening effect on me, though. Ditto for papaya and mangoes. I prefer blended.

Bananas--organic only. The other ones give me bad gas & cramps. I can only eat about 1/2 a banana.

Kate, IBS-D.

#263481 - 05/15/06 11:39 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I am a really stable A right now, but here's my experience:

Bananas are also my friend. I eat one at least every other day. No problems. I don't think they've ever given me problems.

Frozen blueberries: I don't work with these much, but I do buy fresh when they're in season. Before I was stable, I could handle some (maybe a handful and a half) in a smoothie or with my oatmeal but too many wasn't good. Now I'm really good with them. Are you using the sweetened or unsweetened frozen blueberries?

Dried apricots: I haven't had any in years, but from what I recall, more than 3 or 4 was a bad idea even pre-IBS. I'm fine with prunes, though.

Strawberries are okay with me, too.

Dried Apricots to help poop. new
      #263493 - 05/15/06 12:23 PM
Augie

Yes, it would be great if they helped me poop! But does it do this for you gals without the gas and bloat and tummy troubles? I also bought the organic, unsulphered type at Trader Joes.

--------------------
~ Beth

You're the second person... new
      #263494 - 05/15/06 12:26 PM
Augie

...who has mentioned that they can only tolerate bananas in a smoothie. Weird. I wonder why...they still contain all the same chemicals and whatever causes constipation/gas.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 411 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2095

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review