All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help for new 'IBS' sufferer
      #263314 - 05/14/06 09:18 AM
mwj28

Reged: 05/14/06

Hi there, I'm new to this place and like everyone am desperate for 'the answer' although I am well aware there isn't one so just some ideas would be good!

The story is...

About four months ago I chaged my diet to a high fibre diet and starting consuming a high fibre cereal, 6+ portions of fruit and veg a day, fruit juice, low fat etc. This resulted in more regular, but normal, bowel movements.

However, it also seemed to coincide with abdominal discomfort with a general feeling of wanting to pass wind. Sometimes gas wouldn't pass easily and then other times it was more 'free flowing'. Four months on I still have discomfort most days (if not all) with the predominant feeling of trapped wind and gas. Nothing I do seems to shift it. In the morning I have more discomfort and in the afternoon/evening I have more wind, bloating etc.

I have been to the doctor (very unhelpful) who insists I have IBS even though I don't have constipation or diarrhea. Have tried Colofac but have not found any help from it.

Does this sound like IBS? Either way is there anything I can do. I have tried cutting out some of the fibre, have tried wheat free, cutting out tea/coffee, peppermint tea etc...

Am sick and tired of this and don't know what to do.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help for new 'IBS' sufferer new
      #263316 - 05/14/06 10:26 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

There are a lot of things you can do for gas. Fennel tea seems to work well for a lot of people. Also Gas-X or BeanO may work for you. The other thing is that you have to be careful what kinds of fiber you eat. Lots of fruits and veggies can cause gas and other problems as a lot of them (more the veggies I think) are IF. Things you can do are to steam your veggies and eat them with a SF base. Ex: Steamed veggies with white rice or pasta. Certain fruits are safer than others. Bananas and mangoes are great. Apples are good if you peel them. The peel is IF and very difficult to digest. You mentioned you don't have C or D. The frequency that you speak of though (going to the bathroom more often) is pretty typical of IBS, as is the gas. I suggest going to a gastroenterologist is you haven't been for the appropriate testing to rule out other causes for your symptoms. Have you picked up Heather's books? They are full of all kinds of priceless info about IBS and how to work with it rather than fight it. Concerning trapped gas, I have found that anything that relaxes the muscles will help let it out. Hot baths, hot teas (caffeine free), yoga, hypnosis, etc. Anybody else have other ideas? I know you do. This place is just a fountain of IBS knowledge.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#263329 - 05/14/06 11:14 AM
mwj28

Reged: 05/14/06

Thanks for the info. When I mean I go to the toilet more often I only mean I go once a day and seems perfectly normal. I think the increase in frequency is due to the increase in fibre not the IBS.....

Will try some of your suggestions for trapped wind.

#263359 - 05/14/06 04:28 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

If your diet is very high in insoluble fibre, then that might be the culprit that is causing gas. For example for about a month I was eating the breakfast cereal Kashi Go Lean during weekdays and none on the weekend. I was getting a tremendous amount of gas daily but not on the weekends. I stopped eating that cereal and I feel much better.
I wouldn't stop eating fibre, but maybe see if something you are eating is causing the gas, especially if it's whole wheat.

#263559 - 05/15/06 06:42 PM
MamaCat

Reged: 04/09/06
Loc: NJ

Just a note about Gas-X--it does help when I have gas BUT it causes really painful spasms in my colon...so bad that it wakes me up @ night. I have to take Motrin to counteract it. So I try to avoid taking it when I can!!

--------------------
IBS-D!

And make sure the Gas X... new
      #263564 - 05/15/06 06:47 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...doesn't contain sorbitol. Most of them do. Phazyme does not, though.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Holy Moly new
      #263968 - 05/17/06 04:58 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I've never used Gas-X myself. I've just heard that it helps other people.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 268 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1096

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review