All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Read This
      #26165 - 11/08/03 05:10 AM
POADB

Reged: 06/01/03

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/1569246009/customer-reviews/026-9414292-8098064

Ok - this is what is really putting me off buying the book... as it says it's difficult to adapt to the ingredients as they are 'americanised'.

If I cant follow the ingredients - I wont be able to stick to the diet.

What does everyone else think?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Read This new
      #26169 - 11/08/03 06:17 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I think the book is a great reference, and it seems from reading the reviews, there are recipes you wouldn't have trouble making - so the book wouldn't be a total loss!

If you did get it, you could always post if you're having trouble finding a certain ingredient, and maybe someone else could guide you were to get it or how to sub it. If anything, you could get The First Year, because that only has a couple of recipes and is an excellent reference book.

Being American though, it is hard for me to say how this book would work for you. Hopefully you will hear from the others in the UK and they will have better advice for you.

#26183 - 11/08/03 12:12 PM
POADB

Reged: 06/01/03

yeah thanx

i always have heather to turn direct anywho...
well - most the time she just sends me to the search page...
i also have other brits to ask - so i'm gonna buy the book and try my best to involve the recipes in my day to day life...

thanx

#26192 - 11/08/03 02:41 PM
AnnC

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: NY, USA

I don't think you will find it hard adapting the recipes. I am a Brit in USA. I think the main thing will be that any measurements will be in cup measurements rather than weighed on a scale like British recipes usually do. I am not sure if you are yet able to buy cup measuring sets in UK. I did send my parents a set a while back after I bought my Dad a cook book from over here and they never said if they could buy them there or not.
I really like the book - hope you do too

ann

#26206 - 11/09/03 07:26 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Rich, the book is NOT a problem. I use it all the time. I've got a measuring jug with cup measurements on it that I got (I think) from Woolworths, so try and get one of these. In the meantime, just use a small glass or cup - it seems to work almost all the time.

The only thing I've got stuck on is calling ingredients different names - like zucchini is courgette. But if you get stuck, just post on the Recipe board. Plus, there've been past posts on this - do a search?

Get cooking boyo!

Linz

#26213 - 11/09/03 08:12 AM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

Totally agree! The book isn't too much of a problem,i had a slight problem converting all the oven temps to gas oven,but have got that sorted out now! Anything you are not sure of,you can just post on the boards!

Good Luck!

--------------------
Morven

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1218 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 943

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review