All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Protein
      #26162 - 11/08/03 02:28 AM
katgirl

Reged: 10/31/03

I've been reading all the dietary advice about soluble/insoluble fibre and how you should only eat insolube fibre after/with a substantial amount of soluble fibre. Correct me if im wrong, but i havent found anything about protein? is it ok to eat some chicken or fish on an empty stomach, or should i always try and include some soluble fibre with it. also strangely enough, i was eating some chicken earlier (Bernard matthews slices) and read that the ingredients included milk proteins and lactose...arent we meant to be aoviding them? and what the hell are they doing in chicken?!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Protein new
      #26163 - 11/08/03 04:54 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yeah, we're supposed to avoid dairy products. Unfortunately you will need to check ALL processed foods (including chicken slices) for them as you'd be amazed where they're used!

With protein, I think it's pretty much personal tolerance about whether you can eat them on an empty stomach or whether you have to eat them with soluble fibre. I'm fine with most foods, but I do tend to eat proteins with soluble fibre just to keep my GI tract happy. Eg. eat a chicken sandwich instead of just slices.

Hope this helps.

#26166 - 11/08/03 05:25 AM
katgirl

Reged: 10/31/03

It's really weird tho, cus the turkey didnt contain lactose or milk protein, but the chicken did...and they're both by the same company. its so difficult trying to get my head around everything!

#26168 - 11/08/03 06:09 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

When you're first starting out, it can be very frustrating and annoying. It's so hard to find safe foods, and you have to read, read, read the ingredients on everything. But, after awhile it does get easier. You start to find safe foods and you do start to remember all the 'rules' of what you can and can't eat, and you start to eat that way without thinking about it.

Anyway, they do put stange ingredients in the weirdest places sometimes and makes something that should be safe for us a trigger!

But, you should never eat anything but soluble fiber on an empty stomach. Always have your proteins with soluble. Like if you have fish, have some rice with it. Or, mix it into pasta. Or have chicken or turkey on bread. Oh - and it's only the turkey & chicken breast you should be eating.

Good luck! It's hard starting to eat this way, and I can only imagine how tough it must be at uni. We'll try to help you out the best we can.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2829 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 499

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review