All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Uncontrollable and frequent gas
      #258124 - 04/13/06 08:07 PM
mssnoopdg

Reged: 04/13/06
Loc: New York. New York

Hi Everyone. I was diagosed with IBS a year ago, and have been having extra bad symptoms, if you will. I basically have a serious gas problem that elevates when I am stressed out or anxious. It also worsens with any type of food I put in my mouth. I've tried many pills, anti-acids, teas, and have even just had a colonoscopy to find a possible solution. But, unfortunately I still cannot find one. The gas is around 24/7 and is very acidic and pungent, I dont know where comes from and how it persists throughout the 24 hrs in a day. It's very frustating and embarassing to say the least. If anyone has a clue as to what can be done to fix this, your ideas would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!

--------------------
You live, get IBS, and then learn... to appreciate life in a different way.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Uncontrollable and frequent gas new
      #258128 - 04/13/06 08:33 PM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Hi,
I'm kind of in the same boat but mine has gotten better by eliminating foods... I still haven't found a perfect solution.

Things that usually make me worse are the obvious like brocolli, beans, cauliflower... I don't eat those at all. Other things that might contribute could be other raw fiber foods like pears, apples, celery, raisins. Those are things I took out of my diet, or peel and cook first. I used to eat a pear or apple in the afternoon as a snack but kept having bad gas so I cut that down... I'll eat rice cakes, cooked carrots, or applesauce instead. Soy and onions are bad for some people as well.

I think in the beginning just try to cut down on the foods that make it the worst, but I've been told that the real reason is just that things don't move normally through your intestines. This can cause the gas that you do have to build up and become more painful or pungent. So your main goal should be probably to try and get everything normal and flowing right.

And for the worst days, take lots of extra strength Gas-x and hope for the best.

Becca

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

#258133 - 04/13/06 10:07 PM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

My work environment is a 3 walled cube with my backside open. People frequently walk down the aisle behind me. IBS and this situation don't really mix so I've been trying pretty much the soluble food diet. I don't know if you're IBS-D or C but this really helped me. (I'm IBS-D.) I try to stick to foods that are easy to digest (fresh white bread, rice, tortillas, oatmeal, carrots, mushrooms, potatoes, applesauce, bananas, luna bars and avoid whole grains, leafy vegetables, dairy (of course), caffeinated/carbonated beverages and high fat foods. Not to say I'm gas free but there is a significant difference. Let's just say I haven't bought gas-x in awhile. Best of luck!

#258216 - 04/14/06 03:14 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

You don't say if you are following Heather's diet. If not please read all you can around this site and her books, I'm not a salesman, only a happy customer! This diet and supplements such as teas, acacia etc. stopped my gas problem pretty quick. Now that doesn't mean I never get gas but I can usually figure out what caused the problem. Good luck and hope you make the changes that will help your problem and gas is a BIG problem when it is constant!

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#258248 - 04/14/06 07:50 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I used to have the same thing. Heather's diet helped immensely but didn't help enough. So I added BeanO which helped quite a bit. What helped the most was hypnotherapy. Over time with Heather's diet and with hypno I have now just a normal amount of pain free gas.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Hypno helped your gas? new
      #258566 - 04/17/06 07:06 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Wow...that would be a blessing.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

I'm on the diet, but... new
      #258567 - 04/17/06 07:09 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...I still have chronic, daily gas no matter what I eat. Is there any way to stop the gas? Food seems to have no influence on it. Today, I ate nothing gassy...very safe foods...but the gas is horrid.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#259698 - 04/23/06 03:16 AM
mssnoopdg

Reged: 04/13/06
Loc: New York. New York

Hi All,

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I have infact purchased Heather's products- the acacia powder and her peppermint pills etc. I bought these about 8 mos ago when my gas was just beginning. To be honest, everything I tried including her powder did not help at the time so I stopped using it.

Since then I have been strictly adhering to her food guidelines, which definitely lessens the gas somewhat.

I have also changed my lifestyle in a major way within the last month, I quit my overwhelming and utterly stressful office job and can I just say... I feel such an amazing difference! The gas is still there, but not half as bad. I'm starting to realize that this is a mental issue, and am thinking of taking up hypnotherapy ... and perhaps some beano according to all of your suggestions.

Has anyone bought Heather's hypnotherapy cd's? or does yoga? Your ideas would be insightful!

--------------------
You live, get IBS, and then learn... to appreciate life in a different way.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 597 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1295

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review