All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
help for a newbie
      #257845 - 04/12/06 11:09 AM
tjcanaba

Reged: 04/12/06
Loc: nm

Hi all, I am new to this site. I have been reading this message board and really have learned a lot here. I have any and every test done to me and the conslusions are that I have IBS. I was wondering what do you feel that my first way to attack this issue. I currently take Benefiber to help increase my fiber intake. I just get tired of always feeling so miserable. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: help for a newbie new
      #257864 - 04/12/06 12:33 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Do what your doing, read everything this website has to offer. Take it one day at a time and you will hopefully see some improvement soon. Remember when you read the boards that many of us respond differently to some foods, supplements and meds. For me it was trial and error when it came to supplements and meds but NOT with Heather's diet. The diet was the biggest improvement I made that first day. Of course it took a little time to get comfortable with all the dietary changes but they are worth gold!
Hang in there!

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Re: Good advice, Franny! new
      #257900 - 04/12/06 02:27 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

My best advice is to keep an open mind, be mindful of your reactions to specific foods, and go for it! It is a process of trial and error. Heather's diet is comprehensive and it WORKS. Start implementing your SF foods, and then incorporate some IF and see how it goes. People tolerate different IF foods differently, you'll just have to see which you can best tolerate!
Welcome to the boards!
Number one for me was peppermint tea - a lifesaver! Try several strong hot cups a day.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#257902 - 04/12/06 02:29 PM
tjcanaba

Reged: 04/12/06
Loc: nm

Thank you Franny for the reply. So would you suggest that I get Heather's kit that contains the Acaia fiber, the guide to eating and peppermint capsules? Also do you have any thoughts on the hypnosis therapy audio kit? THank you.
Tony

Re: I'm not Franny but I'm a moderator here.... new
      #257905 - 04/12/06 02:33 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

and I highly recommend the acacia, peppermint capsules (lifesavers for me), and the books. Lots of folks have great luck with hypno, too. Basically, everything sold here is great! (I'm not told to say this, I'm saying it on my own accord!)

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#257938 - 04/12/06 05:31 PM
mtmtmt

Reged: 04/09/06

Hi there. I am relatively new to this also and it absolutely does suck. I am about 5 weeks post diagnosis -IBS-C (though I think I have had it for much longer). What has worked for me: IBS Diet - the best thing ever. Pre-diagnosis I was an absolute "anti-white flour" person, eating mostly insoluble fiber foods. But the diet works! Today I had my first completely pain-free, gas-free, bloat-free day + a bonus poop! My breakfast consists of 1/2 of a slice of sourdough french toast (made with no butter, egg whites only) and a Melba Toast cracker. Lunch consists of 1/2 pita with brown rice and a small piece of chicken breast or salmon and cooked carrots. Snacks are saltines, melba toast, pita. Dinner is usually the same as lunch but the opposite protein. And then later in the evening, my treat (which used to be ice cream!) is 1/4-1/2 of an apple, peeled. The apple is new - I couldn't do apples at first.

I drink Peppermint Tea and take Peppermint Oil caplets at lunch and dinner. I take Fibercon tablets at dinner.
I am also on Zelnorm which has helped.

What has not worked for me so far:
Egg Whites- terrible, smelly gas!
Oatmeal or brown rice hot cereal with soy milk - gas, gas, gas.
Pears - not yet!
Salad - NOT good, not even after soluble foods, at least not yet!
Whole wheat pitas or bread - not if I want to breathe!

It has taken me 5 weeks to get to this point with lots of trial and error. All I can say is stay with it and you will notice little improvements. Keeping a food log is helpful to rule out/in certain foods.

Good luck and remember you aren't alone!

I completely agree with HanSolo! new
      #257942 - 04/12/06 06:27 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Really strong peppermint tea is a life saver. Fennel is amazing for gas! It's the simple, earthy, timeless grass-roots things that can make a huge difference. Heather has some excellent diet advice. It's a process.

Kate, IBS-D.

#258212 - 04/14/06 02:58 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Sorry I haven't answered your question but glad our sweet moderator took care of you. Like Hansolo said all of Heather's products have been helpful to me with only one exception. The peppermint caps bothered my GERD but the tea doesn't, crazy huh. I also used Michael's Hypno CD and loved it. I finished it a while ago and want to go back and do them again. Good luck and do journal, it's the only way I figured out if something really innocent didn't work for me.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Welcome newbie new
      #258250 - 04/14/06 07:56 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I would get the Eating for IBS book, Acacia fiber, fennel and/or peppermint tea, and stock up on SF foods for the diet switch. Base your meals on rice, pasta, potato, and bread and slowly intro things one at a time so that you can determine what gives you problems and what is safe for your body. Hypno worked wonderfully for me. I went to see a hypnotherapist but from what I've heard the audio program is just as good.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1000 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1411

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review