All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Im happy to be back, but I need something...
      #25714 - 11/05/03 07:50 PM
BD

Reged: 11/05/03

Does any body know about some vitamins that do not give you gas? If you do would you tel me wich ones?
Thanx

--------------------
Smile!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Im happy to be back, but I need something... new
      #25720 - 11/05/03 11:08 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

There have been some past posts on this so it might be worth doing a post - I think it was a fair few months ago.

In my experience a general multi-vitamin is probably better than high doses of singular ones. Pre-natal ones are usually a good dose of everything and fairly kind to the stomach.

Make sure you take it after a good meal based on SF.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Pre-natal vitamins new
      #25768 - 11/06/03 09:51 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

First off, I'm NOT PREGNANT or trying to be! Ok, now that that's straight...lol

I've considered taking pre-natal vitamins before, because I heard they were easier on your stomach, plus I was trying to boost my iron up recently to donate blood.

Does anyone know if it's safe to take pre-natal vitamins if you're not pregnant or lactating? I think that's how it was worded on the bottle at the store - for women pregnant or lactating.

Thanks!

Re: Pre-natal vitamins new
      #25778 - 11/06/03 10:03 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I would be curious to know the answer to this too. I will be asking my doctor on my next visit to find out for sure.

But I have heard that a person shouldn't take them when you aren't trying to conceive...because of the high levels of iron etc in them. When you are pregnant the baby takes alot of this and so you aren't getting the full effect of the vitamin...you are sharing it with the baby.

However, when I was trying to conceive my doctor told me to go on them. So it kinda contridicts itself her because I was neither having a baby or lactating then.

Ok - I probably did you ladies no good. But I am going to find out for sure at my doctors appointment!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#25779 - 11/06/03 10:05 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Statistics say that prenatal are safe for every woman, lactating or not, pregnant or not. The only thing that is basically different in the vitamin itself are mg or IU per ingredient. One big one is Iron. A normal adult may take 18mg of iron, and a pregnant or Iron deficient individual may take up to 25mg a day. Also in prenatal the vitamin A is 10,000iu which is the max daily allowance for a individual. The thing to do is compare the daily allowances and make your decision on that. I was so enemic about 5 yrs ago due to female issue that I was taking 3 18mg of Iron a day for 2 weeks, of course this was under a Dr. supervision.
It took care of the problem. Bottom line prenatal is safe unless you have other medical issues that would prevent a use of certain vitamins. Good luck and hope tummy's well.
Sherri

#25782 - 11/06/03 10:10 AM
sherr1

Woman trying to concieve or are thinking of concieving a child are told to take prenatal vitamins to prepare them for the pregnancy itself. It builds general overall good health for you and the baby. I've got three kids myself taken prenatal's alot. The best kind of prenatal I've been given is Materna , is prescribed only but it's great on the digestive tract and I never had morning sickness.
sherri

#25801 - 11/06/03 10:37 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I am on Materna right now! They are wonderful and have really helped with my IBS too.

I know even after the baby is born you are supposed to stay on them while Breastfeeding. But I was wondering after that point when they say OK you can go off of them...are they safe to stay on them still?

If that even made sense LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#25803 - 11/06/03 10:41 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I was wondering that too ever since you told me about that delicious hamburger you had, Lana.. or was it the hamburger you're supposed to eat for me? LOL

Wonder if they make the pre-natal vitamins without the excess iron?

--------------------
- Jennifer

Thanks for the info ladies! -nt- new
      #25861 - 11/06/03 05:03 PM
*Melissa*

Re: Thanks for the info ladies! -nt- new
      #25867 - 11/06/03 05:29 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Well my mom isn't trying to get preganant (and never will again hopefully!!) and she takes a Prenatal vitamin everyday, and I've been taking them recently too. And I'm only 15!! The doctor told ehr that they're reccommended over many other types of vitamins since they contain so many nutrients. Hope this helps!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

Re: Thanks for the info ladies! -nt- new
      #25870 - 11/06/03 05:48 PM
*Melissa*

It helps for me! Thanks!

Re: Im happy to be back, but I need something... new
      #25874 - 11/06/03 06:28 PM
sherr1

Well maybe I'll ask my Dr to prescribe Materna. I felt the best when I had them. Why not after all I'm already a mom.
Go for it girls...
Sherri

Re: I haven't had any problems.. new
      #25892 - 11/06/03 10:47 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

.. and have been taking them consistently for the last 2 1/2 years that we have been trying to conceive our second child. My Doctor says it's fine and actually the combination vitamins aren't as high a dose of iron as the straight folic acid supplement that is often recommended to pregnant women which is why I think it's better for me as folci acid supplements definately did not help the constipation!

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 383 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1284

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review