All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Re: confused- CONFUSING! new
      #253763 - 03/22/06 12:46 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I think you're right on the dairy-free chocolate. Although it doesn't have dairy, it probably has the caffeine and fat which can be even worse.. and probably lots of sugar to make it tasty. However, I'm enough of a chocolate addict to go out and find some and be a guinea pig. I'll let everyone know how that goes!

Kat

--------------------
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#253766 - 03/22/06 12:52 PM
K2

MSG or monosodium glutamate is an additive to foods. Usually you find it in soup/broth, sauces, dressings, processed frozen dinners, and some fish meat. It is notorious for causing problems in otherwise healthy people, so for IBS it's even worse. People may feel sick to their stomach or get headaches, and there's tons of studies being done on other health effects from MSG.

Stay far away from it!
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Re: new
      #254155 - 03/24/06 07:40 AM
pinkprincess

Reged: 08/17/05
Loc: Manchester, u.k

Thanks for your advice Kat!

Beth: I had the blood test but i had already eliminated wheat so they said nothing would show up. I suspected it as everytime I ate it I`d run to the toilet! As you probably gussed im ibs-d. I eat wheat free food sold at my local supermarket, the brand is "tru free"

I`m at a loss with this diet. I am having more attacks than I ever have done. I`ve even taken heathers fibre. Nothings working and I have tickets for the comedy store tonight. I can`t not go it cost me £30 ($50-5)but right now I feel horrid and don`t know how i`ll get there.

My nana did reflexology on me today (shes trained in it) It has relaxed me but not my tum. It was wierd cos I said that bits tender...she told me that the bit I said was tender represents the bowel/intestines/colon!!
hugs
Jo x

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jo_elsmere

#254162 - 03/24/06 07:59 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Hi Jo

How long have you been following Heather's diet now, and how long have you been taking her SFS?

Just asking because I ordered my SFS today, and curious how your body's dealing with it.

For past 2 days I've felt better than I have for weeks, but in loads of pain today and not sure why - no gas and don't appear to need the toilet. Grrr...

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

#254170 - 03/24/06 08:18 AM
BethE

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: Syracuse, NY

From my understanding, the acacia takes a while to get used to, so you should start very slowly at first. Also, start with the very bland (rice, plain chicken, potatoes, etc.) and work your way up to eating things like berries and chocolate. Starting balnd worked for me in about three days, and hten I VERY slowly added other foods. Sometimes, I still have to go back to the breaking the cycle thing ( Breaking The Cycle ), but at least now i can leave the house, enjoy my family, and hold a job! I'd say jsut to try slowing things down a bit for a while, food wise, and go slowly with the acacia tummy fiber (think I read somewhere to start with 1/4 teaspoon?)

--------------------
Beth
IBS - D

Re: I agree - BTC diet new
      #254172 - 03/24/06 08:25 AM
K2

I started off very slowly as well with the diet and acacia. I didn't add berries or chocolate for a few weeks at least. The acacia I started with 1/2 measuring teaspon twice a day. Worked my way up by adding 1/2 teaspoon (total per day) each 3-5 days.

Sorry to hear you aren't doing better yet Jo! Keep being patient, and try to back off a few foods for a little while.
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#254178 - 03/24/06 08:55 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Sorry for not getting back to you after doling out so much advice, as has been explained in my absence, MSG is monosodium glutamate aka the enemy. It KILLS me (It's in lots of readymeals, packet soups, pot noodles, jars of sauces in the supermarket etc)

I really think that bland is the way to go for a while til your symptoms start to calm down, it's the only way to stop it.

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1834 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4648

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review