All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Diet to gain weight
      #25219 - 11/02/03 04:24 PM
trbell

Reged: 02/12/03

I am 60, male, and was taking zelnorm for a month before I gave up tyring to find a dosage that worked. It did make some changes and right now my problem is C with a LOT of bloating. At this point I am about 30 pounds underweight and my dopctor wants me to gain weight. I am also taking 2 TBS metamucil daily and diverticulosis has not been ruled out at this point.

tom

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Diet to gain weight new
      #25237 - 11/02/03 05:50 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hello Tom! Sorry the Zelnorm didn't work out for you - unfortunately that's what I keep hearing from people about this drug.

I'd suggest you switch from the Metamucil to a non-psyllium soluble fiber supplement such as Citrucel, Benefiber, Equalactin, or Fibercon. Get a variety that does not have citric acid or artificial sweeteners, both of which can cause IBS problems. There's also an organic soluble fiber with no other ingredients that I carry on the web site, called acacia, that can be much more tolerable for folks than psyllium. There's info here web page

If you're following the Eating for IBS diet (high soluble fiber, low fat, careful with insoluble fiber, and no trigger foods), you should be able to gain weight but it will be slow, not rapid. There's info about this in the IBS diet FAQ here web page
Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#25322 - 11/03/03 10:24 AM
trbell

That's interesting about zelnorm. I suspect many expected too much or didn't give it time. It definite;y changed the way my bowel functions after a month - some good changes and some bad. Is Ensure worth trying as a supplement?

tom

#25324 - 11/03/03 11:48 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - unfortunately, both Ensure and Boost don't seem to come in any variety that doesn't include at least one trigger - either dairy, high fructose corn syrup, or too much fat. You're much better off making your own smoothie with fresh fruit, soy/rice milk, and soy protein powder. Do a board search for this and you'll find some great suggestions.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#25328 - 11/03/03 12:26 PM
trbell

I don't have a juicer anymore which is a shame. Also, in mypast experience fiber tends to extract fat when I take it. I'm not sure if this if this is soluble or insolouble, though, and maybe citricel or acadia wouldn't do it?

tom

#25331 - 11/03/03 12:35 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - You don't need a juicer, you need a blender. Just whirl fresh fruit with the soy/rice milk and some soy protein powder until everything is very smooth. This will really minimize the insoluble fiber and make it much more tolerable, especially if you start with fruits that don't have a lot of seeds or tough hulls (try peaches, bananas, mangoes).

Citrucel and acacia are soluble fiber supplements, and this is something different. They have no calories at all, so they won't help for weight gain the way fruit smoothies will. But, they will certainly help stabilize your gut function. There's details about this here web page

- Heather

--------------------

#25341 - 11/03/03 02:17 PM
trbell

Thanks. I'm curious though to know if you know anything about fiber supplements (soluble or insoluble) leading to weight loss? I'm pretty sure that for me whenever I try to add fiber or tak a supplement, I lose weight. Possible has something to do with cheerios lowering cholesteral.

tom

#25349 - 11/03/03 02:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

There's no reason soluble fiber supplements would lead to weight loss, unless you're taking the supplement instead of eating foods. Soluble fiber supplements are just an easy way to get soluble fiber - which you can also get from foods (and you should be getting your fiber from both sources).

Soluble fiber will lower your LDL blood cholesterol levels, which is a good thing. But lowering your cholesterol will not trigger weight loss.

I'm not sure why you would find a connection between a soluble fiber supplement and weight loss. There's no biological reason for that to happen at all.

- Heather

--------------------

#25355 - 11/03/03 03:51 PM
trbell

I'm not talking about triggering anything just a long term effect the way it lowers cholesterol. I'll check with my doctor the next time I see him.

tom

The lower cholesterol is a benefit, not a problem. -nt- new
      #25365 - 11/03/03 06:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Re: The lower cholesterol is a benefit, not a problem. -nt- new
      #25484 - 11/04/03 01:38 PM
trbell

Thanks, Heather. My gut feeling is that the zelnorm has changed my functioning for better or worse.

tom

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5816 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2105

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review