All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Normal? Can't take it anymore
      #25159 - 11/01/03 04:12 PM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

Ok, I am now completly frustrated! Today when my stomach started bothering me I realized that I can't remember the last time I went ONE day with out some type of constipation or gas problem. I had to be too detailed but what I mean is that mid afternoon I get gassy and know it's because I need to go to the bathroom, so I drink tea and then I can go. But, it's never enough (I hope that makes sense). I've let it go b/c it's not that bad and is better than a year ago but tonight my stomach is worse and I want to go out and just be NORMAL! AGHHHHHHHHHHH! I'm sure most of you can relate. I'm following the diet, minus a small candy last night, and no matter what I do I have these problems. Any suggestions would be helpful. I just don't know what else to do, will I ever go a day, a week, with out having to worry and have problems? I drink tea, take fiber supp., eat soluble fiber with every meal. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Normal? Can't take it anymore new
      #25290 - 11/03/03 07:38 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

You know I was thinking pretty much the same thing this weekend! I have been having an attack since last april! I started Heathers diet then, have always taken fiber supplements, I exercise a LOT, drink a ton of water and still can't seem to get back on track! The pain and bloating are the worst, the C and D comes and goes. I have had exactly 3 days in 6 months that I have felt ok! I don't have any advice for you but you are NOT alone! I gets so FRUSTRATING! My husband tries to be supportive but doesn't really understand. My boss gets tired of me complaining of belly aches all the time. I'm about at my witts end, don't know what else to do either.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#25296 - 11/03/03 07:55 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I also know exactly how you both feel. I know I'm not as bad off as some people, but I also can't think of more than a couple of days when I've felt good the entire day in almost a year, when my IBS started getting worse. It is very frustrating, and sometimes I also wonder if I'll ever feel "normal" again. Just know that there are others who are going through the same thing. Maybe someday they'll find a cure for IBS. I guess until then we'll just have to keep following Heather's diet and trying to have a positive attitude, which I know is extremely hard to do sometimes! But hang in there!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Have any of you considered hypno? new
      #25320 - 11/03/03 10:02 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

rlan - I know you were asking about it before - what did you end up deciding?

I decided to do the hypno tapes back in March, and I feel SO much better after using them. I'm not kidding! It seems so weird to me that listening to some recording over and over again (well, 5 different ones that is) for a few months could make such a big difference, especially since I fell asleep to them most of the time - but it did for me!

In February, I started 'really' following Heather's diet. I tried from about last October or so on, but I wasn't real strict with it. Anyway, once I got better at following the diet, I felt better, but still not all that great. Although I dealt with anxiety from IBS, I also had the uneasy tummy feeling all the time, like even though I fell okay one minute, I could go off at any second.

I don't know if that makes sense or not, but basically the hypno was a big help for me - maybe it could be for some of you.

Re: Have any of you considered hypno? new
      #25344 - 11/03/03 02:23 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Mags, thanks for suggesting the hypno tapes. I hadn't heard much about them, but now that you mention what a big help they've been for you I might have to give them a try. When you said you "had the uneasy tummy feeling all the time, like even though I felt okay one minute, I could go off at any second" that really struck a chord with me, because that's exactly how I feel! I'm not terrible, but something just isn't right. So hypno helped to alleviate that feeling? Wow. Thanks for sharing your experience!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#25352 - 11/03/03 03:05 PM
AnnC

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: NY, USA

I am totally seeing myself in these posts - I read some of the lives of people here who are doubled over in pain etc and I think to myself that I must be lucky because my symptoms are not like that. I do get the unexpected urgent BM episodes and other bothersome things like the gas and the alternate D and C but it is more frustrating and anxiety inducing. It takes so much energy to always be planning the fastest route to the bathroom or to be planning my day around eating avoiding the trigger foods - it totally zaps my brain just keeping it all straight in my head. I have had IBS for several years but have had an ongoing problem with it since the Spring in that I am avoiding places where I know I don't have good bathroom access and I have so many days where I just have that feeling that my insides are going to play tricks on me or that even after a bathroom visit that I am not quite 'done' yet.

I wondered about hypno techniques but wasn't sure. I have recently started seeing a therapist because my anxiety and stress levels are high and when asked what was causing my stress I knew right away that it is the darn health problems that are made worse by worry - IBS, GERD and TMJd. I feel like it is a vicious circle that I can't seem to break.

I'd be interested in knowing more about the tapes like how long are you meant to listen to them each daily (is it a daily thing) and how long it took before anyone noticed an improvement and anything else that might help convince me to try them.

ann

Re: Have any of you considered hypno? new
      #25372 - 11/03/03 07:02 PM
*Melissa*

No problem! It really did help - sometimes I still can't believe it! Mine did have a lot to do with anxiety of having an attack and leaving the house, but I always had this feeling in my stomach that I couldn't figure out what it was. Like an uneasy, burny, achy yuck! Well, that's the best I can describe it anyway! LOL

So, I had a big attack the end of January, started strictly following Heather's diet, felt okay but not quite stable, then followed hypno. Had my first big attack since January the very end of September. I feel SO MUCH better, I can't even put it into words. So, yeah, I believe the hypno gave me that last little push to feeling better.

BTW: I think that September attack was brought on by a lot of just-starting-to-plan-a-wedding-and-feeling-overwhelmed stress! LOL So, you can see it's not your typical everyday type of attack!

I can remember the first time I thought I felt the hypno working - it's really strange, because you think it is, but you're not really sure if it's the hypno, but you want to believe it's the hypno! LOL You just have to experience it. It's pretty cool!

You can check out any of my posts from the time I started to the time I finished on the hypno boards. You can also see a few others who have also had great success. If you decide to try them, let me know.

#25377 - 11/03/03 07:24 PM
*Melissa*

I think the hypno tapes could definitely help! They sure can't hurt!

I know exactly how you feel about avoiding places, axiety, not being 'done', etc. They hypno helped me so much!

Here is my first post about when I was considering them: web page and here's when I was finished: web page, and I feel even better since that last post when I finished. The hypno can continue to work for a long time even after you finish.

They say some people may not even notice a change until months after they finish the tapes, but I started to notice changes probably after about a month or so into the hypno. It's very subtle and you don't know if you really notice or not - it's hard to explain. If you check any of my old posts on the hypno board - probably in April/May area, I think I talked about it then.

You listen to the tapes for 100 days. There's a schedule that you listen to. There are five sessions. Some days are scheduled as off days. The sessions all are about 1/2 hour long. I always listened when I went to bed in the evening, and that time worked okay for me. And there is a list of symptoms - all kinds from belching to nausea to headaches to disturbed sleeping, it's not all just C, D, or G! LOL - and you rate them in severity from 1-10 at the beginning, after day 27, and after day 100.

Hope that helps! If you want to know anything else, just let me know. Also, Shawn Eric (the hypno board moderator) knows all there is to know about the tapes! If you check the hypno boards, he posts all kinds of great info on them.

#25500 - 11/04/03 02:44 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Have you tried an elimination diet? Like fast for a few days, then slowely add different things back into your diet to see what affects you.

--------------------
IBS-C

#25501 - 11/04/03 02:54 PM
NatHosp

Reged: 11/04/03

From what I have read about IBS and also experienced myself, one of the worst things you can do is either eat too much or not eat enough. It is important to keep a reasonable amount of food in your stomach and intestinal tract to keep things going. You do not want to "shock" your body by fasting and then eating.
I don't know if you've noticed, but if you don't eat for awhile you actually may think that you are having an "attack" when in actuality you are simply hungry and if you eat someting IBS safe you will feel much better.

--------------------
Natalie

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5787 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2098

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review