All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Any other diabetics here?
      #251018 - 03/09/06 08:55 AM
grannyj

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: arizona

I've been lurking for awhile, but this is my first post. I've just been on Heather's diet for about 3-4 weeks, and because I'm eating differently (less mostly), I'm still having to adjust my insulin doses a lot. My problem is - I've been having some low blood sugars, and treating them is causing me to have D attacks. I have always used glucose tablets to treat lows, and they have always bothered my gut, but juice does the same thing. The one good thing about the glucose tabs is that you would never eat them on purpose, they are so gross, so they don't prove any temptation to me, where candy and juice do. I wonder if there are any others on insulin out there who can think of something that would raise the sugar fast without causing spasms and D. Thanks for your help.

Jerie

--------------------
Jerie - IBS-D

My actions are my only true belongings.
the Buddha

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any other diabetics here? new
      #251217 - 03/09/06 05:36 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I'm not diabetic, just live with one. I do, however, have occasional problems with lightheadedness. Altoids are nice and sugary, and they'd boost your sugar while foiling cramps. Some strong peppermint tea (which you could brew and store in your fridge) with lots of sugar dissolved in it might work even faster.

There are actually a fair number of foods that are both soluble fiber and low glycemic index, which might help with the blood glucose swings. We have lots of sweet potatoes, rye bread (no seeds), and brown rice around the house now. I know there's a list in Heather's book and on this site of soluble fiber foods, and there are a lot that could fit into a diabetic diet (along with low-fat protein like turkey or chicken breast and fish and soy products).

--AC

#251374 - 03/10/06 10:08 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Hey jerie,

I was just diagnosed with Type 1 last month...

I haven't had a problem with using the glucose tabs for severe lows, but I am mostly C...I have a friend who recommended carrying around honey sticks in your bag instead. Perhaps these would work for you? You should be able to find them at your local Health Food store.

I am very curious to find out what you're eating that is good for both your gut and the diabetes. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and some of the less harsh whole grains like quinoa and brown rice...is there anything else you would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
Julia

Hope this helps :) new
      #251386 - 03/10/06 10:43 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hi and welcome to the boards! My friend is an insulin-dependant diabetic, and keeps on him a small tube of the squeeze gel decorating icing you use to write out letters on a cake. It fits right in with his needles and just a squeeze on his tongue does the trick when his sugar is low.

~nelly~

#251683 - 03/11/06 12:07 PM
grannyj

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: arizona

Hi Daupadi - I've been diabetic (type II) for 40 something years and on insulin the last 20. I went on a pump last year, hence my woes with low blood sugars. I am thinking it's the increase in the soluable fiber, because fiber keeps your glucose more stable - less peaks. I am basically eating oatmeal, steamed safe veggies, and as a vegetarian, no meat-only soy products, and counting other carbs to fit into my allowed amount a day. My gut is better except when I take those blasted glucose tabs. If I'm in the high 60's I can safely raise it with bread or fruit, but when it goes in 50's or below, there's just no answer but glucose because you need to raise it fast by that time. I guess I will just have to live with the bellyache - it's better than convulsions from the low glucose. LOL. Keep me posted on your progress.

--------------------
Jerie - IBS-D

My actions are my only true belongings.
the Buddha

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2463 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 755

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review