Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather's Tummy Fiber?
      #25069 - 10/31/03 01:48 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Heather, or anyone else who might know:

I am thinking about trying the new tummy fiber. I currently use Benefiber but was interested to read that acacia is good for reducing bloating. Bloating is my worst symptom and I battle it daily.

I worked out the cost and even with the shipping rates it works out cheaper than the benefiber so that's good too.

I was wondering if I make the swap whether I could start on the same dosage I have been taking of the benefiber or would I have to start low and increase gradually anyway seeing it's a new SF? I thought I'd just be able to switch over at the same dose seeing my body is already used to increased SF intake.

Also, would it be completely safe to use during pregnancy? (I'm forever hopeful that this will become a consideration soon )

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather's Tummy Fiber? new
      #25082 - 10/31/03 03:42 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Kerrie - I'm actually torn when it comes to this question. Logically, if your body is used to a certain level of soluble fiber then you should be able to maintain that dose (even if you switch varieties) without problem. But...since people do react differently to the different fibers, not just to dosage, I also think it's a good idea to drop the dosage down if you switch and start slowly.

My guess is that if you drop down initially, you'll be able to increase the dose pretty quickly, and will likely be up to your old dose within a week. But it's probably better to go slowly just to make sure you're adjusting okay.

I really wish I could find some studies that look into this, but there is just nothing out there so specific. So err on the side of being over-careful and go slower instead of faster.

For the pregnancy question, I've never seen anything at all about any risks with acacia and pregnancy, and the FDA has no warnings or risks in this area either. I've even seen alternative health rememdies for morning sickness that include gum acacia as an ingredient. I found reference to its use in Ayurvedic medicine during and after pregnancy as well (acacia is a really ancient plant product, so it's got a lot of uses in traditional non-Western medicines).

But, to be extra cautious, ask your doctor and/or pharmacist just to be sure. Since it is just pure organic soluble fiber I can't imagine there would be any possible risk at all, but again, better to be overly-cautious and extra-safe!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Thanks Heather.. new
      #25269 - 11/02/03 10:57 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

... I think I'll give it a go. If you never try, you never know hey!
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2669 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 442

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review