All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Any Advice?
      #24984 - 10/30/03 04:16 PM
tinkerbell

Reged: 10/30/03
Loc: Southern California

I have just been diagnosed with IBS. Unforunately, I have had symptoms for three years but was in denial that anything was wrong with me! I am having extremely painful attacks of diarehha, cramps, and hot flashes. I have had two procdures done a colonoscopy and an upper GI. The doctor found nothing wrong and said everything look completely healthly. But then why the attacks! I can go to the bathroom pretty regularlly. the attacks have been happening more often basically i really do not have the problem of constipation. the doctor put me on Donnatal and anit-spasmodic pills and that made everything worse! Now he put me on a laxitive, which i do not feel very comfortable taking. It has not worked so i stoped! I am tired of all of this and have been reading alot of the messages on the board and it seems like there is really nothing that takes this away! I have purchased the books and will be very egaer to tray this out. But my concern is that if i do not do something about this now when i am young(24) it will wear and tear on my boby causing diesease.
I have also been considering taking anti-depressants or tranquizers but at the same time do not know if that is smart! My life is very stressfull who's isn't and it seems to bring on the attacks more often because of the anxiety and stress. any suggestions? thanks for the time and considerations in your responses!
Tinkerbell

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any Advice? new
      #24985 - 10/30/03 04:50 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi and welcome to the board. Hopefully, you will be able to find some answers here.

IBS is a funcitonal disorder - not a physical. That is why they are able to say everything 'looks' good, and you still have problems.

I'm not familiar with Donnatal, so I don't know why that caused you problems. I'm IBS-D, and I have a prescription for an anti-spasmodic (Levsinex). I take that as I need it, which really isn't that often at all, and it works great for me when I do need it.

Laxatives are bad news, and I really don't understand why he would put you on one when you have D.

Although there is no 'cure' for IBS, you can manage it through diet & exercise. Try Breaking the Cycle for a couple of days to get yourself feeling better, then start slowly adding food back in. You may also want to consider trying the hypno tapes. They are great for stress & anxiety related to IBS. I used them a few months back and they are great! Check out the hypno board for more info if you're interested - I highly recommend them!

As you read through the books & the website, let us know if you have any questions.

#24986 - 10/30/03 04:53 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Tinkerbell,

First of all, welcome to the boards and hopefully you aren't anywhere near those fires! I'm up in Northern California but know some people down there.

Second, glad to hear that you've been tested for other much worse diseases/problems. The reason your doctor didn't find anything on your tests is that IBS is a "functional" syndrome. This means that your colon is not "functioning" like normal colons do. Things like certain types of food and stress can irritate it, giving us painful cramps, bloating, gas, diahrea, etc.

That's great that you've bought Heather's books! These have definitly helped me tremendously managing my IBS and will hopefully help you too. Once you start reading the book, all the symptoms that you have been feeling will start to make sense. It will also show you how to control and manage your IBS, as well as the difference between soluble and insoluble fiber. Unfortunately, some people have IBS all their lives. Just something we have to deal with.

Not sure why your doctor put you on laxatives. Those can be horribly habit forming and it sounds like you already have diarreha! I would look into purchasing some fiber suppliments instead that will help stabalize your bowel movements.

Also check out this link: Breaking the Cycle. It will give you ideas on how you can eat safe soluble foods while your system calms down and then gradually introduce insoluble fiber back into your diet.

Unfortunately, having IBS means giving up yummy foods like dairy, red meat, high fat foods, etc. Read the book or search the site for a complete lists. However, natural food markets have wonderful safe replacement foods - some are even better than the original!

Finally, the last advice I can give you is to exercise regularly and drink plenty of water - they reduce stress and gets the digestive system moving! And if you have any and all questions (I know I still do!), feel free to post them on the board! Everyone here is super friendly and knows what you're going through.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#24987 - 10/30/03 04:54 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Jinx Mags! LOL

--------------------
- Jennifer

#24990 - 10/30/03 05:08 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

LOL - I know, it was like déjà vu !

#25005 - 10/31/03 01:01 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Try starting Heather's diet. There's lots of info on this site and in her books about what to eat for "Breaking The Cycle". Herbal teas are also a great idea. If you're stressed try Chamomile - I live on this stuff.

Yoga is also great for both stress and IBS. Could you get to a class near you?

All your tests coming back healthy is par for the course with IBS - it's really frustrating when you're trying to get a diagnosis, I know.

Low doses of anti-depressants can help IBS and if you're actually depressed, then taking meds can really help the IBS as well.

Be aware that with a lot of meds, you have to take them for quite a while before you can see a noticeable change, so give them a chance!

Hope this helps. Come and post whenever you've got a query or want to talk. I've found it really helpful to be able to talk to people who understand what I'm going through.

Linz

#25023 - 10/31/03 07:50 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hi and Welcome! The others gave you some great advice! I don't have a lot to add other than you may want to ask your dr about the anti-depressants, I think they do help. Cetain ones are better for d, and others better for C, so keep that in mind when you talk to the dr.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 454 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1121

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review