All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
stomach gurgles and noises
      #24919 - 10/30/03 09:17 AM
lisamay

Reged: 06/13/03

Hi, all. My husband is IBS-D and deals with constant stomach gurgles and noises. It seems to be gas that is creating this but I can't seem to find any info online detailing what the cause might be and what a treatment or prevention might be. Peppermint (teas and Altoids) does not seem to help. His Dr. claims that everyone experiences these noises, some more than others but that wasn't a satisfactory answer for us. Anyone have this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: stomach gurgles and noises new
      #24922 - 10/30/03 09:29 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Try chamomile tea it helps with digestion and it's anti-spasmodic like pepperment tea. Fennel tea is for use in gas and bloating this might calm his gurgles. Rest assured some gurgles and noises are normal. Is he eating and lying down or sitting and not mobile after a meal? Being a little mobile will help also digest better. I eat at least 2 hrs before bed time and that helps me get rest at night and not so may gurgles. One thing I experience is the noises occasionally, I'm Ibs D and C. I believe we all do.
Hope some of these teas might bring him relief. Also talk with Shawneric, meditation/hypnosis might be helpful also.
Hope he gets some answers or resolution soon.
take care
Sherri

#24937 - 10/30/03 09:56 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

FYI

This is good on IBS and stomach noises by a patient.

http://www.surgerydoor.co.uk/level2/patexp_IBS_case.shtml

This is on it.

"Dear Straight Dope:

My husband and I were watching TV last night, and our stomachs were playing "dueling gurgles." This got us wondering why stomachs make noises. Also, what causes them to growl when we are hungry? --Jan G. in Southern California

SDSTAFF Tech replies:

Well, not to be indelicate here, but it's the shifting of matter, acids, and gases--oh, hell, let's be indelicate. Mostly, it's the passage of gas downward through your system. If your stomach is making a lot of noise, you can pretty much bet that before long, you're going to do something that makes the indelicacy of this answer seem rather polite. There's even a medical term for this: borborygmus.

Some of the noise can also simply be a result of the digestion process at work, and the reason our stomachs growl more when we're hungry is just that there's more empty space involved.

--SDSTAFF Tech
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mstomach.html

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#24964 - 10/30/03 12:41 PM
lisamay

Reged: 06/13/03

Thanks for your reponses. He pretty much gets the gurgles anytime of day: before he eats, when he eats, after he eats - whenever. He is working with a therapist on the whole "mind-gut" aspect of IBS. I think what happens with the stomach noises is that he gets a little gurgle in the middle of a meeting, and even though it may be "normal" for everyone, his first reaction is to tense up and stress out which doesn't help the situation.

Anyway, thanks for the posts!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1140 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1490

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review