All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
J.P. Licks Non Dairy Sorbert Dairy Symptoms
      #248718 - 02/26/06 09:50 AM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I'm in a bit of puzzle right now.
I already was in the stages of recovering from a cleanse and a few bad foods.
Last night, when I was out with a few people, I didn't want to depreive myself of desert.

So, when I was at an Ice Cream shop, I remembered from the book Sorbert as an Ice Cream alternative!

I ordered the only Sorbert they offered, raspberry truffel, but not before I asked TWICE, to double check, if this had ANY dairy.
I was told both times NO.
Only after being assured twice this did not contain Sorbert did I purchase a small cup of Raspberry Truffel with strawberry sauce.

I took a bit, it tasted almost too nice to be non dairy, and after some more bits, I felt a strong, dairyish bad feeling in my gut.
I threw the rest out, and the rest of the night, through today, I have felt exasperated, worse, with very high abdominal discomfort, heavy c, I only have gone once in the past 24 hours, and this was a very hard, dry, motion.

I decided to call J.P. Licks, to invesitgae.
They told me the sorbert has no dairy, I asked to have the ingredients read.
They could not find the raspberry truffel, but they had the ingredient list for the chocolate, which I was told was almost identical to the rasperberry minus the raspberries.

The only questionable ingredient was dextrose, nothing else, no non fat milk, lactose, whey, NOTHING.
They even offered me a refund.

So my question being, why would I if J.P. Licks is not lying, and I have no reason to believe they would be given how friendly they were, feel a reaction like I had consumed ice cream?

I know that I can not have Soy Ice Cream, Soy Milk, or Rice Milk, because I can not tolerate those sugars.
I can in small doses handle Rice Dream.
If by odd chance I do eat any of those, if I get a reaction it is usually not for a longer amount of time.
It is not instanteous as it was for me and the sorbert last night.

My guess is
1) J.P. Licks is lying
2) The Raspberry Truffel has dairy unlike the Chocolate
3) It is the dextrose
4) The sugar
5) It is a classic case of the placebo effect, where mentally I think I am eating dairy and my body carries out anyway

Would this be one of the few good times, given the heavy c, to take a laxative?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: J.P. Licks Non Dairy Sorbert Dairy Symptoms new
      #248739 - 02/26/06 11:04 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Was one of the ingredients High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS)? That's a trigger for many people.

#248744 - 02/26/06 11:30 AM
penpal

Reged: 01/19/06
Loc: Pacific Northwest

Sorbet does not usually contain dairy products but it is high in sugar or corn syrup (depending on what they use as a sweetener). Foods high in any kind of sugar are a trigger for some people with IBS.

If I'm having a bad IBS-C attack, I usually go on a bland diet for a couple of days (foods I'm pretty sure are "safe" i.e. oatmeal, bananas, rice, fish, toast, protein shakes) to give my colon a chance to recover from the offending food.

--------------------
Penny

#248754 - 02/26/06 12:16 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Sugar was the main ingredient.
However, I can feel the difference between a reaction from sugar and a reaction from dairy.
A dairy issue will feel much worse, I will not be able to go, I will have major C, where with sugar, I will go, and it won't be as severe.
I think, and want to ask, that this was mental.

After hearing there was no dairy in the sorbert, I saw a little relief.
I never would have dreamed that this could be so mental because I swear, the instant I had one drop I felt miserable.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Were there any "gums" or stabilizing agents? new
      #248768 - 02/26/06 01:38 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Often sorbet contains a "gum" or stabilizing agent. These are major triggers for me. A few that come to mind off the top of my head are: carrageenan, guar gum, locust bean gum, xanthan gum. Could it contain inulin? Was HFCS potentially involved?

Perhaps it was the strawberry sauce?

Just brainstorming. Feel improved a.s.a.p.

Kate, IBS-D.

a few comments.. new
      #248846 - 02/27/06 05:46 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

from experience- if I don't say I'm allergic to dairy they use the same scoop for others ice cream and mine- if I say I'm allergic they will go clean off the scoop and make sure to use a fresh portion of the tub- avoiding that secondary contamination from other scooping...

also- some sorbets are NOT safe for me because they have HFCS or Carageenan in them - as a sweetener or a thickener and those are major triggers for me!

Good luck!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 248 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1142

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review