All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Special K Kelloggs low fat waffles
      #248693 - 02/26/06 06:25 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

are safe...they are made with egg whites. Not bad with real maple syrup! I like the ones I make much better but in a pinch these aren't too bad for an alternative breakfast sometimes.
Sandy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Why does the Special K website list milk under the allergen information? They looked safe to me too new
      #248976 - 02/27/06 02:59 PM
AmberBoBamber

Reged: 12/05/05
Loc: California

So, I was really excited to read your post because I really like these waffles. I use to eat them before I found out I had IBS. They would make a really good, quick breakfast. But here is my question. I just went to the Special K website and looked up the Special K 99% fat free waffles and here is what it said:

Eggo® Waffles
Special K® 99% Fat Free

Description
99% fat free frozen round waffles.

Ingredients:
Enriched wheat flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate [vitamin B1], riboflavin [vitamin B2], folic acid), egg whites, sugar, water, leavening (baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate), calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, salt, artificial flavors, whey, vitamin A palmitate, spice, reduced iron, soy lecithin, niacinamide, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamin hydrochloride (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), beta carotene for color and vitamin B12.

Allergen Information:
Contains wheat, egg, milk and soy ingredients.

Kosher Status:
Kosher Dairy

Like you, I read the ingredients and they look perfectly safe since they use egg whites, and nothing else seemed like a trigger. But why then does it list milk under allergen information? What in the ingredients is a milk product?

I really wanted to eat these, but now the website has made me paranoid!

Thanks for your help!

Amber

Re: Special K Kelloggs low fat waffles new
      #248987 - 02/27/06 03:58 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I've had these before and I agree, they really are tasty. Definitely not quite as flavorful as the real thing, but a great safe breakfast!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Whey new
      #248988 - 02/27/06 04:00 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Whey is a milk product. I forgot those had whey in them. I believe it was listed under "less than 2% of these ingredients". Personally, those types of things don't bother me because the amount of dairy is sooo miniscule. But you're right, if you're not stable it's something to beware of.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Thanks! I don't know how I overlooked whey in the ingredients! Thank u :) -nt- new
      #248990 - 02/27/06 04:05 PM
AmberBoBamber

Reged: 12/05/05
Loc: California

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1774 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 803

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review