All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Where to find Soy dairy products
      #24661 - 10/28/03 12:52 PM
Dede1957

Reged: 10/21/03
Loc: Houston, TX, USA

Any suggestions on places in NW Houston to find soy products that are dairy substitutes? I've tried the health food sections of Kroger & Randalls, but little or no choice. Do I need to go to a regular health food store to find these types of products?

Also, any suggestions on which brands taste most like real dairy? I think that is the one thing I'm missing the most -cheese, cream cheese. Any suggestions on a butter substitute to spread on foods that won't trigger an attack?

I've been feeling so good, I sure don't want to mess it up. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Diane

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Where to find Soy dairy products new
      #24662 - 10/28/03 01:01 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

I would think that your health food store would have those products. I use the I cant believe it's not butter spray. It's safe because it only has trace amonts of dairy. I don't have any trouble with it. As for the sub that's most like dairy...it's really a personal thing. We all have such different oppinions on that!!

Good luck!
Steph

--------------------

#24663 - 10/28/03 01:04 PM
Dede1957

Thanks, Steph. And what an adorable baby!!! My last baby left for college in August.

#24681 - 10/28/03 04:22 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi! I just did a check at www.wholefoods.com, and they have 4 stores listed for Houston. If you can make it to Whole Foods, you can find all kinds of soy & rice dairy subs. In the regular grocery store, try checking in your produce section. That's where they usually have the soy cheeses - with the fruits & veggies.

I like Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese. Just use a little because it's high fat. I think they have a low fat version also, but I've never seen or tried it yet. Here's my favorite rice cheeses to use: web page and I like to use this for soy cheese: web page. But, I've never tried any other kinds yet. This is the only brand of soy cheese they sell at my regular grocery, so that's why I stick with that.

I like Soy Garden as my butter sub, but again it is fat, so watch how much you use.

#24721 - 10/29/03 08:17 AM
Dede1957

Thanks, Mags. This info was very useful. I'm going to check out Wal-Mart SuperCenter, because that's one of the places where they said they sell their products. I'm also going to check out Whole Foods, but I think the closest one is about 45 mins away.

Thanks again!

I had 2 good days in a row (a record for the last couple years), but started my cycle this morning so have been having problems all morning.

Diane

#24726 - 10/29/03 09:48 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Wow! I didn't realize Houston was that big! Here are the 4 they had listed for Houston in case you ever want to check them out. I found a lot of my "weird" ingredients that I'd never used before there.

Whole Foods Market
4004 Bellaire Blvd.
West University Place
Houston, TX 77025

Whole Foods Market
2955 Kirby Dr.
Houston, TX 77098

Whole Foods Market
6401 Woodway #149
Houston, TX 77057

Whole Foods Market
11145 Westheimer Road
Houston, TX 77042

I'm getting ready to start mine too, so I know how you feel. But, that's great to hear you finally had some good days!

#24734 - 10/29/03 10:33 AM
Dede1957

Thanks for addresses, Mags. Houston is indeed huge! It could take you 1.5 hours to drive from one end to the other, and that's assuming there are no wrecks or other traffic problems.

All these locations are a good ways from me, but I might have to start making a monthly trip down to one of them.
Thanks again!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1032 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1042

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review