All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Constant sickness
      #24624 - 10/28/03 06:55 AM
Rmuggins

Reged: 10/23/03

Der Heather..I have been sick to my stomach on a contant basis for months, along with bouts of constipation and diarrea.When I have diarrea the spasms come for maybe three or four days in a row, after eating, with the sickness so very bad along with it. Then turns to constipation. Have been seeing a gastrologist for years and just had my stomach checked out again last week. I am unable to take any kind of medication so that eliminates that route. My stomach and abdomen both burn constantly. Use tums etc. I would appreciate any help I can get from you. I used to be able to eat and then rest stomach a couple of days and I would be all right but as I have gotten older this doesn't work any more. It never goes away no matter what I eat. Also gas and bloat whether I eat or not. Really need some help. Thank you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Constant sickness new
      #24635 - 10/28/03 09:03 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Heather will get back to you. I'm sorry your feeling blue.
Have you tried probiotic? I heard they work wonderfully, especially for ailments and since you can't have antibiotics this could be natural way for some good bactieria in your tummy. Have you tried any teas? When I felt this way I found Heather's site and started changing my diet immediately and drinking Chamomile tea, it will calm your tummy help stop the burning and increase your appetite.Fennel tea would be good for the gas and bloating. Also I wasn't diagnosed with celiac, but I did cut all flours and wheat and gluten from my diet for 1 month and did see a improvement. I have IBS D and C.
Tums has calcuim? I think that not recommended for IBS. I hope you can feel better and the doctors can pinpoint your ailment. Take care.
Sherri

#24643 - 10/28/03 09:39 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi - has your GI given you any type of diagnosis? IBS or other?

I agree with Sherri - chamomile & fennel teas may help a lot. Chamomile is very soothing.

You may want to try Breaking the Cycle.

Good luck and hope you're feeling better soon!

#24657 - 10/28/03 12:35 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - do you have an IBS diagnosis? That's important - your doc should tell you what you're dealing with.

I agree that chamomile, fennel, or peppermint tea can really make you feel better. Fennel is especially good for bloating - check here fennel tea Try different types and see what works best for you. Also, make sure you're taking a soluble fiber supplement - see here for what that means soluble fiber and eating properly (see here for diet guidelines diet) .

Let us know if you have any more info about your situation...

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#24658 - 10/28/03 12:37 PM
Rmuggins

Thanks Mags for the tips about the tea. Yes I have a definite diagnosis of ISB. Had it for years but worse as I get older. Have resisted the peppermint teas because of my burning stomach but will definitely try the others.

#24659 - 10/28/03 12:41 PM
Dede1957

Reged: 10/21/03
Loc: Houston, TX, USA

Rmuggins, you are describing my life for the last 2 years. I even had my gall bladder removed and that didn't help. Then I found Heather and her books and website. I followed her "break the cycle" for a week, and am amazed at the results. I am on day 3 of feeling really good, almost completely normal.

Heather responded to you and asked if your dr had diagnosed ibs or something else. If it is ibs, then this is the place to find answers you can count on.

Heather's suggestions are almost completely opposite of what my gastro was telling me to eat. After following her plan, I'm feeling so much better!

Best of luck to you. Hope you feel better soon!!
Diane

#24660 - 10/28/03 12:45 PM
Rmuggins

Thanks for the suport Sherr. Yes I have been diagnosed with ISB. Had it for years but getting worse as I get older. I definitely will try the Chamomile tea and I have also sent for Heather's diet book. It is do or die at this point (not literaly ofcourse) but need all the help I can get..Thanks again.

#24715 - 10/29/03 06:19 AM
Rmuggins

Yes I have a definite diagnosis for ISB by the gastrologist I have been seeing for years. He does the required tests regularly. Unfortunately the only treatment he has is meds, which I can not take. I have d and c plus a bunrning stomach and sickness (not vomiting). I was told by the Integretive Medicine people that it is because food moves through my digestive stomach so slowly that the food stays in my stomach and ferments. Doctors have agreed it is possible but have no solutions. Is there a diet that could possible to speed things through the system? I have started taking fibrocon again (which has bothered me in the past) and has started drinking the teas. Any advice or suggestions you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#24731 - 10/29/03 10:00 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Another thing I thought of is ginger. Ginger is great for nausea, if that't the type of upset stomach you mean. You can have ginger tea, or crystallized ginger, or even regular ginger cooked in a meal. I'm not sure how it would affect your burning sensation though, since it can be spicy. My stomach used to burn & ache a lot and I ate a lot of ginger (in all those forms) and drank chamomile, which helped a lot.

I'm not sure if it would 'speed things up', but I think you could beneifit from a fiber supplement. If you've had trouble with Fibercon in the past, maybe try a different kind. Just not Equalactin, because that's made from the same stuff as Fibercon.

Have you noticed any improvement with the teas yet? Also, drink lots of water to help your fiber supplement work. Let us know how you make out!

#24736 - 10/29/03 10:38 AM
Rmuggins

I have been drinking chamomile tea which I thought might be the safest to begin with. I believe my stomach isn't as sickish as before. I had d last Thursday and have been constipatd every since. The cramps are starting with no action. Will just have to wait and see what happens. Am eating the white diet and the tea. Hope to see some results. Thanks for the support.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 800 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2145

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review