All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS?
      #245599 - 02/11/06 09:26 AM
Curt B

Reged: 02/06/06

I just joined this board and have been on Heather's diet for about a week now. Bloating is better but getting lots of spasms. I asked this question before but as I read the posts I start to wonder if I have IBS or not.

I don't really have D or C. I have normal movements mixed with loose stools that can be very urgent. My main problems are bloating with a feeling of having a rock in my lower abdomen and wishing I could burp but I can't. The other problem is "spasms" I guess. They are always in the same spot near my navel. They are always super quick like a pinch. They can hit me anytime, after eating, or when I first wake up and haven't eaten. They can vary in intensity from tiny little pulses, or hard enough to make me jump and cry out like someone just pinched you hard. I can get them maybe once or twice in a day or I can get a spell where they hit me over and over. But they don't have anything to do with bowel problems. Going to the bathroom doesn't relieve my bloating or spasms at all.

I had my gallbladder removed 10 years ago with no help. I've had a colonoscopy, ultrasound, blood work, gluten test, rotation diet, CAT scan, multiple stool tests, parasite medicine, tried enzymes, HCL tablets, natural medicines, probably all the tests you all have done with no help!

I can take Bentyl and it will help with the spasms but it just makes me so depressed I try not to use it. Levbid did the same thing, felt like killing myself. The diet isn't a stretch for me because I've already been on allergy diets and have learned to drink soy and rice milk and not eat wheat, dairy, sugar, etc. I took out red meat and pork now and I don't drink coffee or alcohol anyway. My main concern with these diets is getting enough calories. I'm a big weightlifting fan and have built my size and strength up over the years but it takes calories and protein to gain muscle and this diet isn't great for that.

Anyway, thanks for reading another boring patient history and I would appreciate any comments on this being a form of IBS or not.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi Curt new
      #245636 - 02/11/06 02:35 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Well, I'm no doctor, but it does *sound* like IBS to me. I mean, there is nothing in your description that screams "that's not IBS!" to me. I know you mentioned that the pain isn't relieved by a bowel movement, which is part of the Rome Criteria (i.e. if it's IBS it should be) but experience and what others have said on the boards tells me that that's not always true. Also, you CAN have IBS that is only or mostly pain predominant and not related to D or C at all. That said, what you're describing does sound like occassional D ("normal movements mixed with loose stools and urgency").

If you're sure you've had all the tests to rule out anything else, I wouldn't be too worried. Are you on the diet now? Is it helping? How long have you been on it?

Also, you've had your gallbladder out... did the pain start after or before that? Have you read this newsletter, which addresses the issue of having one's gallbladder removed (at the bottom)?

Also re: weightlifting and this diet. You're right, there is nothing inherently problematic with this diet and gaining mass. CAlories can be a problem, but there are plenty of vegan and vegetarian weightlifters and bodybuilders who must have a MUCH more difficult time with getting calories. The only thing you can load up on is fat: fat makes bulking easy because it's more calorie-rich than protein or carbs. But eating low fat doesn't necessarily mean not gaining mass - you just have to eat MORE. Plus there are plenty of safe proteins if you're not a vegetarian - just gorge on egg whites, chicken breasts and tuna!

HTH

Re: Hi Curt new
      #245640 - 02/11/06 03:21 PM
Curt B

Hi Laurel,

Thanks for the response. The gallbladder was removed after an ultrasound that found "something". I was having bloating problems at the time. The doctor who removed it said that it was pitted but I'm not really sure because it didn't relieve the bloating. That was about 10 years ago. The spasms didn't start until a couple of years ago.

I just started the diet on Sunday so it's hard to say yet. Today I seem better so I'm hoping it will continue to improve.

You're right about high fatty foods to get calories. I'm actually going to start putting my flax oil back in slowly that I took out this week. I need over 3500 calories a day to keep putting on mass and it's a lot easier to do that with steak than chicken breasts! But anything can be done with a little work and dedication. At this point I don't care what I have to eat I just want to feel better! Take care.

Re: IBS? new
      #245698 - 02/12/06 07:42 AM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

Hi Curt,

Your symptoms sound a lot like mine actually. I get the "spasms" as well as normal to loose bowel movements.. wouldn't quite call it D. I also tend to get bloated fairly often. I am also a weightlifter, and while calorie intake isn't my biggest problem ( I am a 108lb female), I can somewhat relate. My fiance is a bodybuilder and also eats a lot of calories to gain mass. I think the best way is for you to load up on low fat protein like chicken, fish and egg whites, and maybe try to add in a small amount of unsaturated fat at each meal, so you'll add calories but your body won't have to digest a lot of fat at one time. This is probably better for you anyway if you want to add lean muscle mass. Eating a lot of saturated fat from beef will likely cause you to put on more fat than necessary and also have some negative health effects. Also, eating a lot of safe grains and vegetables can help, like oatmeal, sweet potatoes and rice. If you can tolerate nuts or nut butter, that's another way to get some calories and good fats. Good luck!

--------------------
Kim

#245803 - 02/12/06 01:49 PM
Curt B

Hi Kim,

I'm glad to hear from someone who has similar symptoms. Sometimes you feel like your crazy when no one can help you. I actually lost a few pounds on this diet and am getting more of a "six pack" look which is nice but I'm not as big as I want to be so I'm going to have to eat more. I'm putting in some flax oil again and small amounts of margarine. Nuts I'm going to be careful with as I think they can mess me up. But I'm pretty sure I can get my calories up there over time with the starches and lean protein. I'm going to miss steak though! But nothing is worth the misery of bloating and spasms that's for sure. Thanks for the response and keeping pumping iron!

#245822 - 02/12/06 04:08 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Don't forget to use lactose free maragrine because the regular stuff can trigger and IBS attack.

#246027 - 02/13/06 03:20 PM
Curt B

Hi Gracie,

I was thinking of that when I picked out a margarine but thanks for the reminder.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 716 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1199

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review