All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Spasm that won't quit?
      #24557 - 10/27/03 12:43 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Any ideas for a spasm that won't quit? I'm sure that's what it is, in my left side, just below the rib cage. This has been going on for several days. I've managed to have a couple BM's but they are thin, just like they barely made it through the cramped up, kinked up colon. It feels like someone tied my insides in a knot. I've tried everything I know to do and it's not letting up, I'm tired of this! I have librax here (muscle relaxant) but can only take that at night as it makes me too sleepy to take care of the kids, and it does help but the next morning it starts up again! I think I've eliminated any possible trigger foods. I'm ready for it to LET UP already! I've got too much going on to deal with this.

Okay - deep breath (that would probably help, huh?) any ideas? This hurts like heck and kills the appetite just when I'm really trying to add some pounds back on. Very frustrating! Hot bath, etc, has to wait until kids are in bed. Meanwhile I'll keep trying the massage and breathing techniques, and also try to keep busy (easy enough) to keep my mind off it (not easy enough).

oh, I'm coming back and editing this to add that I'm sorry if this belongs in the living room or not, I think of it as being diet related so put it here, anyway!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Edited by ecmmbm (10/27/03 12:44 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Spasm that won't quit? new
      #24559 - 10/27/03 01:05 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I get these pains sometimes...it almost feels like someone is pinching your side...I just lie down and take a tylenol.

Use a heating pad and drink tons of water. I hope this helps and sometimes if I have been feeling crappy for a few days I will go back to the chicken breasts and rice...a person is still eating - just taking it easy.

I am sorry if you have tried all this stuff and it's not working...hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

Oh yeah, and the Living Room is for IBS Non Related subjects - so I would guess this is the place to post.
Take care,

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#24576 - 10/27/03 03:43 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Michelle,

I wish I could suggest soemthing that would be an instant help but I too find that I sometimes get that pain right up under the rib cage and I find it usually last a few days to a week then goes away. This seems to happen off an on and I can't pinpoint it but I find it usually occurs when I have a whole host of things going on like lots of stress, less sleep, IVF mediactions etc etc. It's almost like when I get that pain it's my bodies final straw or something.

I normally find it goes hand in hand with extreme bloating too so what I usually do is eliminate some of the more "bloating prone" foods, try to get plenty of sleep, extra relaxation and more walking. I really find walking helps the most. I don't know that I've been much help but I am certainly sympathetic!

I hope it eases up for you soon,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Super strong peppermint tea is what helps me.. new
      #24601 - 10/27/03 06:42 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it's actually all I can tolerate when I've been hit by a spasm that won't quit. I brew it (okay, my husband brews it, 'cause I can't move) so strong it's black. Not my favorite taste when it's that strong, but a few sips and I start to feel better. Takes me about half an hour to drink the whole cup, and it usually works pretty well. If I'm starting to feel better I'll have another really dark, really hot cup. I have to wait till the pain eases up a bit before a hot pack is something that appeals, but at that point it will also help.

Hope you're over this soon.

xxoo
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#24605 - 10/27/03 07:27 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Sorry Michelle you are feeling so bad. Hope you feel better soon.
Right now I am drinking Chamomile tea per Mags suggestion a couple weeks ago. Although I love Peppermint tea - it can cause my GERD to flare up.

A couple years ago I went to my Doctor for the same pain and told him it felt like someone was taking a knife and sticking me with it. He ordered X-Rays and it turned out to be trapped gas. He told me to take ex-lax.

I don't take ex-lax anymore - I just lay down on my left side, drink hot tea and try to relax through the pain. Of course it is easier for me, since my kids are all in school.

Take care and hugs to you

#24606 - 10/27/03 07:38 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I think that's exactly what it is - trapped gas, or maybe just a spasm in the colon muscles itself, which could have the same effect. I find too much of the peppermint tea does what you say here, irritates my stomach lining itself (the gastritis from before). I've got fennel and chamomile though. All the other suggestions are great, too, thanks everybody! It is good to at least hear others can RELATE even if we don't always know what to DO about it! It will pass (what an awful pun!)

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#24618 - 10/28/03 03:52 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Sorry you are feeling yucky. Must be all that excitement of watching the Carolina Panthers win in overtime (again!) I had really bad pain like that for several days and discovered it was from switching fiber supplements. (the new one was causing trapped gas.) I know it really hurts! The only thing that helped me was taking 2 over-the-counter gas relief tablets. One tablet didn't help, but after taking 2 it relieved the pain. Try this---if you haven't already.

#24623 - 10/28/03 06:40 AM
sue p

Reged: 10/28/03

I have actually tried taking peppermint oil daily (add about 1 ml to a drop of water) it hasn`t stopped the other symptons but it certainly eased the cramps! It started working in a couple of days. Give it a try - hope it helps. : )

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 536 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1048

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review