All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Another question about peppermint...
      #245424 - 02/10/06 08:48 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I found this site back in nov. and since using alot of the techniques. I find that I can eat all the chocolate my little heart desires, all the pizza I could ever want, and most of the other trigger foods that I stay away from. I have had minor pain sometimes but no D attacks for months.
I tend to drink a big cup of peppermint tea after every meal and it really seems to help.. BUT I find that lately, even though i'm not having a D attack, the pain is starting to get to that un-bearable point again, that usually happens right before full blown D. Can ones body get dependant on the herbs and thus I have to up the dosage so to speak? (mind you I am in that hormonal time of month right now, so could that be the reason? I mean it doesn't really feel like normal PMS cramps but i suppose it could be??)
Any ideas??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Another question about peppermint... new
      #245451 - 02/10/06 10:09 AM
Maile

Reged: 01/30/06
Loc: California

Did a quick google search and found a couple people here who seem to think peppermint capsules lose their effectiveness for ibs over time.

I haven't noticed any waning, but I've only been on them for a couple of months. Also, while they help me, I haven't had the miracles you describe. (I assume the tea and the caps would be about the same.) I'd guess it has more to do with your cycle than anything else, but I don't know.

#245503 - 02/10/06 01:15 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Ummm... have you ever considered that maybe the effects of eating all the chocolate and pizza you want are catching up with you? IBS can definitely be "cumulative" like that... Just a thought.

#245556 - 02/10/06 06:13 PM
Dajara

Ya know... I kinda feel dumb now admitting this, but i never even thought of that.. Considering I have been ok for so long, I didn't even think that it could be past catching up to me...

#245601 - 02/11/06 09:53 AM
retrograde

I just reread my post and I'm really sorry if it came across as rude or kind of snotty I didn't mean it to be like that but I realize that that's how it kind of sounds... sorry!

But yeah, IBS definitely can be like that... I know that if I'm doing so well that I kind of just stop thinking about my IBS and start cheating a little here, a little there etc. I'm usually ok for a while (and thinking hey! this is great) but then it ALWAYS catches up with me Not worth it!

#245619 - 02/11/06 11:55 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Coffee always catches up with me in a few days...I know, I know, it's bad and I'm trying hard to completely cut it out. I can get away with having 1/2 cup 1 or 2 times per week but if I try for more, one day my tummy just says STOP!! in a not too nice way.

I find that... new
      #245635 - 02/11/06 02:24 PM
retrograde

triggers that have that kind of delayed effect are the hardest to cut out.

Like for example, dairy, high fat foods and red meat were easy for me since the minute I put them in my mouth I'm running to the bathroom, so I never get to enjoy them anyway.

But when I'm bad it's with "little" stuff, usually a bit too much IF at a meal (usually in the form of veggies and beans), or (the worst) eating loads of Soy Good ice cream at once (has carageenan in it, which is a trigger for me) Won't usually trigger an immediate attack but it ALWAYS catches up with me. (but ohhh it's sooo goood...! )

#245664 - 02/11/06 07:19 PM
Dajara

No worries, I wasn't offended in the least and value the input either way.. Even if it is the cold hard truth.. so all good...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2690 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 968

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review