All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anxiety
      #245287 - 02/09/06 12:42 PM
T~N~T

Reged: 01/19/06
Loc: Ohio

Anyone get over anxiety without AD's or hypno? I'm a cryer and talking to strangers about my situation sometimes makes tears fill my eyes. I was just wondering if anyone had anything work for them that was something to practice everyday and not taking meds (side effects scare me more than the anxiety).

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~
T
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anxiety new
      #245300 - 02/09/06 01:44 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

You could try Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which would mean you'd have to talk with someone. You might cry during that first meeting, but I think you would get more involved in figuring out how to control your anxiety. CBT focuses on what thought-processes and behaviors are leading to your feelings of anxiety. Then you would work w/ the therapist to change those thoughts and behaviors and learn ways to reinforce rational thought processes.

A lot of the new ADs and the anti-anxiety med Buspar have minimal side effects, and most only last the first few weeks you're on the medication. I would say if your anxiety is debilitating and affecting your quality of life, a combination of hypnotherapy or CBT and medication (which you wouldn't have to stay on forever) would be the best plan. Otherwise, counseling would probably help.

Re: One more thing... new
      #245302 - 02/09/06 01:46 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

If your anxiety is IBS related, I think there's a good chance the anxiety could resolve itself once you're stable. Stability would give you more confidence and eventually you'd probably stop worrying about random attacks and be able to get over whatever anxieties you may have. So, to answer your question, yes, I think you could get over anxiety (if you haven't had it for a long time and if you know what's causing it) without the use of ADs or hypno or counseling.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (02/09/06 01:48 PM)

#245357 - 02/09/06 05:46 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Sweetie, you can do hypno in your very own home! Check out the "Hypnosis for IBS" link to the left.

I'm pretty introverted, so crying in public is not one of my fave things either. The IBS hypno program is also not a venting thing - it's a relaxation thing. Think of the best nap you ever had - it's like having one of those every day for 100 days!

It might be a nice first step for you to get your anxiety lowered to a point where you can choose your next step without getting stressed about it. You might also want to look into self-help books by Albert Ellis that can get you started on CBT at home.

--AC

#245359 - 02/09/06 05:55 PM
T~N~T

That sounds good. I will have to save up for the hypno cd's. They are kind of expensive and I just bought the big kahuna from Heather's site. So that will be an option maybe when I get more money. I think that I will be ok as time goes on. My anxiety is about having an attack. But if I keep on the right track I will succeed. I just need some friends to talk to. But the friends here are helping a lot.

Maybe as I get out more I will find more people like me in my area and we can get together and hang out.

I am still iffy about the Counselor thing. I know it may help but I don't know that I could open up all the way to a stranger even if they are there to be open minded. I am interested in some self help though. So maybe my next venture out should be to the library!!

Thank you!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~
T
IBS-D

Re: One more thing... new
      #247721 - 02/21/06 06:31 PM
T~N~T

I have been taking a lot of supplements, fiber and Immodium which seems to have done the trick. As well as sticking to the diet of course!
My anxiety was much less. I did have a bit of anxiety about being in the car with 5 other people. I was so worked up about it I was in tears. I have had an issue with clostorphobia (sp?) for a long time and that was most of it. But it's hard to be on a 20-30 minute road trip and keep your tummy under control. It worked out ok in the end but I felt like I was gonna fart the whole time and that made me more upset. I was with people that would be cool with it but they would tease me to death and I didn't want that. Other than that one situation I seem to be much better. I know when I have to go and can hold it for the most part. A big change from when I was first diagnosed.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~
T
IBS-D

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2836 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 726

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review