All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Granola bars bad trigger?
      #24495 - 10/26/03 06:31 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

This is probably a common sense question, but thought I'd see what you all might have to add. I've been trying to make a concentrated effort to put a little weight back on, lost over the last year. I'm trying to keep things around the house that I LIKE to eat (for one!) and that I can eat on the fly, I'm always on the go with the kids. I've had great luck with Heather's bread recipes, smoothies, plus other staples like pretzels, etc. But I've had a bad spell of gas and colon spasms and am trying to figure out what specifically has set that off. It just occurred to me today that it's probably the granola bars? I got the chewy, low fat kind. I can tolerate oatmeal cooked but maybe the "whole grain oats" in a granola bar is too much? The spasms/gas/pain has been bad enough today for me to pull out the old prescription of librax and head to bed with a heating pad on. I drank fennel tea tonight so strong I could barely stand the taste but it helped, and went for a walk afterwards which has also helped some. Anyway, anyone care to concur that this was probably the culprit? It's a little frustrating to be trying to find things that SOUND yummy to me, will add a few pounds, and that are IBS friendly AND easy to grab on the run. I don't ask for much do I???

Thanks guys,

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Granola bars bad trigger? new
      #24532 - 10/27/03 09:15 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

I can relate, I can't do whole oat grains, even though when I get a flare up it's D. Granola bars c me. I lost 40 lbs in 2 1/2 months an I'm at 125 now, I would not mine some weight gain too, but it's hard.I'm keeping this weight but I'm 5'8. I haven't tried oatmeal again I'm scared of the pain. Hope your feeling better.
Sherri

#24533 - 10/27/03 09:19 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I have also heard that there is milk ingredients in these - that can cause flare ups.

Feel better soon!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#24549 - 10/27/03 11:31 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

I can only eat granola bars after I've eaten something already. I can't tolerate them on an empty stomach.There usually have milk ingreds. in them. Sometimes I find Nutri grains more tolerable. Take care. Sue

#24563 - 10/27/03 01:31 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Also, I think a lot of granola bars have sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, etc. and those kinds of things tend to bother me, too.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#24609 - 10/27/03 07:48 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Michelle try doing a search on line for granola bar recipes. I like to make my own and much safer than store bought. Like you I can eat oatmeal without any problems, but store bought granola bars can cause alot of pain.

I found a recipe called mango granola bars and haven't made it yet. I don't like to post new recipes until trying it first. If it turns out good - I'll post.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2326 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 641

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review