All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
San Francisco safe restaurants
      #242959 - 01/31/06 06:06 AM
ribena

Reged: 01/17/06

Hi I live in the UK so a bit unsure as to "safe" restaurants. I am going away to san francico and am worried I will get a bad turn due to not being able to find safe restaurants, can you think of any?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: San Francisco safe restaurants new
      #243016 - 01/31/06 08:27 AM
Maile

Reged: 01/30/06
Loc: California

The Herbivore (two locations) is completely vegan, so no worries about dairy or red meat. They also tend to have lower fat dishes, preferring baking and grilling to frying, and most entrees come with fresh white bread for your soluble fiber (they also have polenta and several pasta dishes-both asian and italian inspired). I've had luck there.

Other than that I have no strong recommendations, but SF has many ethiopian restaurants, which tend to be ok for me (i just fill up on injera) as well as many many asian restaurants of various types which are good for non-dairy eating if you can find lower fat dishes.

Hope that helps,
Maile

thanks! I'll be there in July for a few days... new
      #243130 - 01/31/06 12:02 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

and in LA as well- family wedding and visiting friends and family while we're on the coast!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#243281 - 02/01/06 12:05 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

I was gonna suggest Herbivore too...orgasmic food! But also, there are a lot of Thai and Chinese places where you can find great stuff...my favorite is Indian (Gaylord in S.F. is amazing) and I usually get some kind of rice, a lentil or veggie dish, and naan. If you eat meat, you can also get tandoori chicken...also, there are some Italian places in North Beach where you can get good safe pasta dishes. San Fransisco and the bay area in general is really vegetarian friendly and health conscious, so I think you'll be fine as long as you don't eat at some kind of greasy burger joint. Good luck!

--------------------
Julia

From the bay area....know somewhat of SFO and ideas at least... new
      #243341 - 02/01/06 09:04 AM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

I know the sour dough is safe! lol and really really good!! there is a place by fisherman's warf (it's a little round building in a part by itself) they serve clam chowder and stuff. so their specialty is also sour dough.

If you mind the venture, take a trip to Berkley. They have SOOOO many vegan places to eat out there. You get to cross the bay bridge (lol) and you get a beautiful view of SFO if you get on the hills on berkely/oakland (not the ghetto part!!)

also, Whole Foods is a great store. Vegan and non-dairy foods, they are very very very understanding about your tummy problems. they have ready made food you can eat there (they have sitting areas too) and it's a grocery store, which if you are staying for a while, you can get some stuff to stay where ever you are. Whole foods brand is 360 degrees, and they have pretty good stuff, and it's cheaper than the other stuff they sell too.

Alot of the touristy stuff wont have really safe foods, it's designed for te tourists, not the "city" people who alot of them eat better food for you Market street and that area should have some kind of organic and vegan stuff. which will be kinder about helping you with ingredients.

i'll say i LOVe whole foods out here. so you should check that out for easy food. bt not a sit down place.

hope i've helped??

Thanks Lyndsey! new
      #243528 - 02/02/06 05:38 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

we'll be staying with friends outside of the city proper but Bill wants to do touristy things while there, so I appreciate the information!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#243586 - 02/02/06 08:53 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Depending on how severe your IBS is, this could be a challenge! I visit San Francisco every two months because my boyfriend lives in Silicon Valley. The place I usually eat at when I'm in San Francisco is called Tad's at 120 Powell St. (between O'Farrell and Ellis St) and it is right in Union Square on Powell Avenue just a block or so up the street from where all the tourists line up for the cable car! (By the way, don't be duped into lining up for the cable car! Just walk up the road to the next stop and you can board and pay there without lining up because the cable car operators always leave some extra space to pick up more passengers! I always shake my head at all those poor hapless tourists who don't know this and who spend up to an hour lining up for the cable car at the bottom of Powell Ave!!!)

Anyway, back to the topic at hand... Tad's is a bit of a greasy spoon, but I am usually able to order some plain fish (haddock if it's in season) cooked on the grill with just a drop of oil or water only. (Last trip they had no haddock, but just salmon that could be cooked on the grill.) You can get a plain baked potato with the fish, but you have to tell them not to put anything on the potato. The prices are very cheap. For those who can eat it, they sell steak dinners for about U.S. $11 (very cheap by Canadian standards)! By the way, don't order anything other than the fish on the menu because all their red meat and poultry is seasoned and/or marinated.

Personally I don't usually order fish at Tad's. The real reason I like this restaurant is because the Chinese proprieters are very tolerant of crazy people like me with special diets! They literally turn a blind eye if you go in there order maybe just a baked potato and some bottled water and then pull out your own food to eat! I notoriously bring myself a plain can of tuna packed in water (bought at Wholefoods) and I open and dump the tuna on top of a Tad's potato to make my own "jacket potato"! I've been doing this for years there and the proprieters never say a word and never give me a dirty look!

Tad's decore is ancient and tacky, but the place is clean and there is usually classical music playing. All sorts of characters frequent this place and it is open all day as far as I know.

The other places I would recommend are Japanese restaurants where you could order plain steamed rice and special order some plain grilled chicken or fish and plain steamed veggies. There is a Japanese restaurant up the hill on Powell Ave that someone on this site once recommended to me. I haven't tried it, but if you do a search, you may be able to find the posting. San Francisco also has a "Japantown" where there are many Japanese restaurants.

Of course, fish restaurants where you can get plain fish cooked in a non-fatty way are also an option.

The one thing I find in the U.S. is that many restaurants pre-make things so there is often no way to special order the food without ingredients that might irritate my IBS. Even products sold in supermarkets contain extra unwanted ingredients. For example, white rice may contain all sorts of additives and is packaged and sold as "enriched white rice" (much like enriched white bread)!

I am fortunate in that I have access to cooking facilities when I am visiting the San Francisco "Bay" area. So I usually cook some plain chicken breast and I make sandwiches with it, which I take with me in a cooler when going into the city for the day.

So far, I haven't been able to find a bread that I can tolerate there so I bring my own from Canada, or I bake some using my boyfriend's bread-making machine, or I bring a couple boxes of "matzoh" (made from just white wheat flour and water ... it's just like crackers, but more tasty!) with me from Canada.

Hope you have a good and IBS-safe trip! E-mail me if you need more info on food, places to visit, etc. in the San Francisco area.

Belinda

amie.... new
      #243595 - 02/02/06 09:05 AM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

where are you staying???? what city? i live about 45 minutes from SFO. if you need some ideas on stuff let me know!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 319 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1415

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review