All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Vomitting?? PLEASE HELP!!
      #24230 - 10/23/03 09:24 AM
melanie3

Reged: 10/23/03

Does anyone have vomitting with IBS? My nephew has nausea, pain, & vomitting. Please help us. He's lost over 100lbs. since January. He has attacks off & on.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vomitting?? PLEASE HELP!! new
      #24231 - 10/23/03 09:31 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Has he had all the proper test to rule anything else out?
True IBS is the diagnosis, what meds is he taking? The pain can get so bad that he can and will vomit. Try some chamomile tea or peppermint tea? Has he tried probiotics?
Give us more info. Hope he can shake this.
Sherri

#24232 - 10/23/03 09:52 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Thats an awful lot of weight to lose from IBS, that doesn't sound normal or typical! I have occasional vommitted because of the pain and or nausea, but thats rare and again, I don't believe very typical of IBS. I don't mean to upset you any more than you are but I would really be taking him back to the dr ASAPand have them run some more tests. Hope he starts to feel better soon.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#24275 - 10/23/03 05:03 PM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

No one should be losing that much weight!!! I'm an RN and I strongly say for you to get home to a competent doctor fast!!! There are treatments and medications to stop the nausea and vomiting!!!Even for IBS-that is way too much!!! His electrolytes can be so bad now it can be life threatening!!!! Good Luck!!!!! Mary

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

#24294 - 10/24/03 12:49 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Actual vomiting is usually rare in IBS-ers, although sometimes the nausea and pain get too much, but this is unusual. I agree with the others that he needs to go back to a doctor ASAP. This sounds like it could be something other than IBS.

#24298 - 10/24/03 02:39 AM
POADB

Reged: 06/01/03

I've never vomited from IBS - altho, as many of us know, it can make you feel quite ill. I'm the same tho - I have lost a lot of weight. I'm described as emaciated due to being abnormally thin.

However - i agree with most statements - first get another diagnosis that it is infact IBS. Also get medications to stop the vomiting so that he can keep food down.

When I first had IBS my indigestion and heartburn was so bad (as well as nausea) I was given bottles and bottles of Gaviscon Liquid. This liquid acts as a 'raft' on top of the stomach content, so that 'if' the stomach content trys to comes back up the food pipe, the 'raft' floats up first, stopping it. I lived on the stuff for ages - however it doesn't make the sick feeling go - it does stop u vomiting and prevent heartburn and indegestion.

Gaviscon new
      #24299 - 10/24/03 02:49 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Just a little note to add to what POADB said about Gaviscon. This stuff is suppoed to be great for Heartburn, etc, but I found that it made me really sick, so maybe it would be a good idea to wait until after your nephew(?) has seen the doc b4 trying this.

#24314 - 10/24/03 07:23 AM
Bourget

Reged: 07/16/03
Loc: Ontario, Canada

That is a lot of weight to lose with IBS...but I have to say I do vomit a lot...my odctor says its with my IBS.
I vomit at least 2 times a month maybe even 3. Its uaually at night and when I get such bad pain and my reflux is real bad....then my bowels act up and I'm layed off for at least a month.

#24351 - 10/24/03 11:34 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Melanie how is your nephew? Haven't heard from you?
Hope he's doing better. Prayer for your family.
Sherri

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 858 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1323

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review