All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Esp. for Kree & Berky re know of any good drs.
      #24126 - 10/21/03 07:42 PM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

Wondering if you know of anygood GI's or internists who work w/IBS in Rochester, NY.

Thanks....

Marnie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Esp. for Kree & Berky re know of any good drs. new
      #24137 - 10/21/03 08:42 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Hi Marnie,
I went to Dr. Howard Merzel, but I don't think I would recommend him! He has a good reputation I guess, but his bedside manner left something to be desired, and even though he did bunches of tests on me I still didn't feel like he gave me much help with my condition once I found out it was IBS. My mom goes to Dr. Louis Antignano, and she likes him. He actually gave her meds for her IBS, which my GE didn't even suggest! I think if I need a GE again I'll look into seeing him, too. So that might be something to look into! I think his office # is 585-271-0380, although you might want to check to be sure. Good luck!

So by the way, are you from the Rochester area? If so, nice to see another upstate NYer!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#24197 - 10/22/03 08:08 PM
marnie

Hi Kree,

Funny, I heard just the opposite. Have Merzel....if he's the one ard. or at Parkridge is great!!!!! I tried to get in but not till Jan. Heard just the opposite abt. the other one. That he has no time for you and just does mainly procedures. HOW DOES YOUR MOM FIND HIM.......meaning does she have IBS and DOES HE HAVE TIME TO TALK TO HER???? Also, does it take FOREVER TO GET an APPT there???

Where do you go to school. My daughter went to Roberts Wesleyan and got her masters at Nazareth. She's a teacher.
What are you majoring in?

Really nice to meet another Rochesterian!!!!!

Talk to you soon... Oh...I got some of those caramel Quakes I saw you recommended and they are great!!!!!

Marnie

#24198 - 10/22/03 08:18 PM
Kristen

Reged: 08/07/03
Loc: Barre, VT (Home): Syracuse, NY (School)

Marine,

Hi, I go to school in Syracuse and I was talking to a girl at work who's friend has IBS and the friend's father is apparently a really respected gastroenterologist. I haven't contacted him yet, but the girl gave me his name. He works in Central NY. His name is Dr. Epstien (Family Health Clinic in Camillus and Upstate Hospital). Hope this helps!

Kristen

Re: Esp. for Kree & Berky re know of any good drs.-for Marnie new
      #24209 - 10/23/03 04:45 AM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

Hi Marnie! I'm afraid I haven't had very good luck with doctors in the Rochester area. When I
went to the dr. who does my colonoscopy every 3 years ( due to family history of colon cancer
they recommend I do this) he didn't even want to see the food journal I'd been keeping, after
I told him my IBS symptoms had worsened in the past year! That really ticked me off, so I
started searching the Internet for help, and that's when I stumbled across this website. I bought
Heather's book 'Eating for IBS' and have been sticking pretty closely to the plan, which has made
a HUGE difference. I haven't had any IBS attacks since July. It's sad when you can't get the
help you need from the medical profession,but Heather is a God send. Good luck to you! Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

#24214 - 10/23/03 07:47 AM
Kree

Hi Marnie,

I'll ask my mom for more specifics about her GE when she comes home for lunch. Yes, I think it does take her forever to get appts there, but from what I've seen there isn't any place in Rochester that you can get into quickly! I called around when I was miserable earlier this year to see where I could get an appt most quickly, and found out that I would have had to wait months no matter which GE I went to. Anyway, I do have to admit that Merzel was pretty thorough in the tests he did, but I just didn't feel like he really helped me much. Plus he just didn't make me feel totally comfortable, I think it was his bedside manner. My mom came along with me on my last appt and agreed. She suggests I go to her GE instead next time. Anyway, I hope I don't sway your decision too much. Merzel does have a good rep, so he can't be all bad. Maybe it's just me!

That's so neat that your daughter got her masters at Naz. That's where I'm going for mine, in Literacy Education. I also went there undergrad, so I guess you could say I can't escape! Where does your daughter teach now?

I'm so glad you like the Quakes! I eat them almost every day!

I agree, it's very nice to meet another Rochesterian. I'm sure I'll chat with you more soon, and I'll definitely get back to you with more specifics about my mom's GE!

Take care,
Kree

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#24241 - 10/23/03 11:00 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Isn't there a mayo clinic there?

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Re: Esp. for Kree & Berky re know of any good drs.-for Marnie new
      #24291 - 10/23/03 11:22 PM
marnie

Thanks Berky,

So glad that you have been doing well for quite a while now. Sure hope it continues. Am wondering who you went to??? His name didn't happen to start w/ Ant did it??? I know he's very GOOD at procedures, but not much at talking, if you can even get to talk to him...............!!!!!!!!! NO JOKE!

I may have good news for you & Kree. W/write it Fri. There's a study in Rochester and I called, & can't do this study now. But........she told me to call the office. Usual appt is 6-8 wks off but got appointment for consultation w/the Dr. on 10/31............(NOT RE THE STUDY)!!!!! , unless they figure by being nice to me.....I'll get in on one of the studies.... This was after the gal in the office talked to the woman I'd talked to re the study or studies......cause they have them starting at different times.

Point here is---------I knew darn well that they ALWAY KEEP (or have ) appts. for emergencies , etc. and if someone is REALLY suffering!!!!!!!

As you said......it's sad around here re interested docs. who actually have time to listen and seem to care!!!

W/get that info to you tom. then.

Marnie

Finally getting back to you! new
      #24390 - 10/24/03 08:55 PM
Kree

Hi Marnie! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Yes, my mom does have IBS. She agrees that Dr. Antignano's bedside manner is pretty terrible sometimes, and that she really doesn't like him as a person, but that he's an excellent doctor and always did everything necessary for her. She says she never had any problem with him not listening to her. But then again, Dr. Merzel always listened to me, too, I just didn't feel like he did enough once I was diagnosed as having IBS. Maybe I'm just expecting too much out of a GE!

That's great that you were able to get an appt so quickly... I didn't know that was possible! I sure tried back in Jan and Feb, and all they did was put me on a waiting list. I hope your appt goes well, and you'll have to tell us how you like the doctor. I forgot, did you say you're seeing Merzel?

--------------------

#24430 - 10/25/03 04:10 PM
marnie

Hi,

You're thinking of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. We are in New York State.

Please read my most recent post re Heather's new fiber.

Also, as I'm not good at using this board, I did write a big post on my problems and BACTERIAL OVERGROWTH a while back.

Thanks.......

Marnie

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 484 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2144

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review